Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2020, 04:48 PM   #1

High dollar rigs.

Do the high dollar rigs receive preferential treatment when they too fall apart at service centers? Pay for the extra service?
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2020, 04:53 PM   #2

They have the same low dollar appliances
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Thats good.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:51 PM   #4

Have your experiences indicated that bias?
Old 09-05-2020, 06:02 PM   #5

I believe the high dollar rigs only fall apart before they arrive at service centers, whereas the cheap ones fall apart before, during and after they visit service centers.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast E View Post
Do the high dollar rigs receive preferential treatment when they too fall apart at service centers? Pay for the extra service?
I've NOT found any difference in service dept. with my older and less expensive rig then I do with this one.

If you have a high value rig and you're treated differently (better) I'd turn around and leave quickly!!!! They're probably lickin' their chops on what they're going to bill you!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:48 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
If using a reputable service center there should be no difference.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:14 PM   #8
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
High dollar rigs are still built by the same low paid, low skilled workers as the low cost ones.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:43 AM   #9

Thank you for the responses. To clarify. I was wondering if My '98 Discovery with appointment and parts available would receive the same service level as a 2020 high dollar rig with the same issue that just showed up.

Thanks all.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:01 AM   #10

...lots of variables in your question--tend to think that higher end coaches [especially those under warranty] go to factory or factory related facilities for service....many independent repair facilities are very busy these days so they can afford to pick and choose what they service, and when...higher end coaches tend to have more "complex" issues [they are built that way] so more "potential" for greater repair $$$$$--shops only have so much time, labor, and space to devote to a repair. Availability of parts for older coaches and potential for the repair process to damage related parts has caused some shops to limit the age of rigs they will work on--too much risk, not as much profit. After all, its just business!!!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Not in my experience. The Newells, Prevosts and Foretravels of the world have top of the line dishwashers, televisions, entertainment centers, washers and dryers, residential refrigerators, furniture, flooring, etc. They normally are serviced either at the factory or by service centers specific to that manufacturer. Also, the owners of these million dollar rigs spend big money on storage, upkeep and maintenance and aren't afraid of a repair bill. Set one side by side of any Thor, Winnebago or Forest River product the same length you will see there is no comparison on quality.
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:44 AM   #12

My low dollar in comparison MH had a residential fridge. Cannot speak for the washer and dryer as i dont know whats in those. In my mind those mh are beyond high dollar and should have nothing but the best. My last one was only $230k so low end compared to the prevost and the like
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:47 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

There may be preferential treatment available at some places, nearly always payed for in some way, either in advance or an annual fee, sort of like a membership. The Lazy Days Crown Club, for example includes a dedicated service area for members. You gain membership by buying a new coach in a certain price class, though not necessarily all that high-end.

Further, most any business is going to give some extra service to a really good customer. "Good customer" may include somebody who buys there regularly, even if they aren't buying ultra-expensive stuff.

But if a high end owner simply drives into Fred's RV and Overhead Door shop, my experience is that the service is no different than anybody else. You pay the same rate and get the same service.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:22 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
I always tried to avoid any service center. I keep my money in my pocket that way.

Although I often have to do the repair twice. Once for practice, and once to get it right.

For Chassis service, my experience is that a place like Cummins West recommends very expensive parts changing rather than simple repair of the problem and favors their fleet or repeat service customers.

The independent shop will favor their fleet customers before a one time repair customer.

The only service center for house related issues that I have used went belly up about 8 years ago.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote