Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: HOW much RV travel this season?
NO RV travel - fuel to expensive! 0 0%
Only very limited RV travel. 20 16.00%
Not sure yet. 41 32.80%
YES, will use unlimited RV travel! 64 51.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, we have it packed up and ready to rollout on on Wednesday, and we have about 2200 miles planned for the summer and heading north. If all goes well we will still me ready to make the 2500 one way trip to Q next Jan. at 8 it's going to take cash... So kids wears spending all...
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #58

In the past few years, since moving here to eastern Oregon, most of our RVing has been for fishing trips to various lakes. To better accomplish this, several years ago, we bought our older Winnie MH - bought primarily to pull our boat, since previously we had to take 2 vehicles - one to tow the boat, the other to cook and sleep in.

Oregon is one of 2 US states that does NOT permit towing 2 trailers at the same time.

However, just several weeks ago, my wife's sister and husband bought a new 17 foot large fishing boat that will undoubtedly cause us to take a high percentage of our fishing trips with them to more distant rivers and fishing spots - like over to the Columbia river to fish for Salmon and Steelhead - and in that case, since we will not be using our own smaller boat, we'll use our 5th wheel/Dodge/Cummins setup instead.

That setup is FAR more fuel efficient than the 454 gas powered MH, so we will conveniently cut back substantially on fuel cost - and at just the right time! We'll still get use out of the MH, but FAR less than we might otherwise -and since we only paid $7000 for the MH, it's not at all hard on our conscience OR bank account to have the MH sit for extended periods...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #59

we have a 5k + trip planed. so fuel price will not stop me.

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #60

First trip 2200 miles. Then?????
arcnspark60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #61

When I'm on my death bed, I'll be able to say I went when/where I wanted to go, regardless of fuel costs....not, "damn, wish I'd have gone to ____, but it would have cost a few bucks more, and we didn't go."
Old 04-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #62
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I travel 150 miles round trip to work each day. A week long trip saves me 750 miles at 30 mpg or about 25 gallons per week. So a week long 300 mile round trip at 8mpg is not so bad for an additional 11 gallons. It cost me either way.

When we hit the longer trips it stings a bit more.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #63

We just made a 10 hour trip out of state to Tennessee. We had to attend a funeral in Pulaski. We spent around $350. for the trip up and back. I guess we too will have to save our pennies to go up that way again. By the way, David Crockett State park is an awesome place to stay if you are in the southern part of Tennessee.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #64

living in SC we have camp grounds running out our ears.. several lakes and mountain streams to fish in.. I do the fishing wife does the reading...It's not how far we go it's the getting away from home to enjoy each other....
nanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Have traveled on average 10-12000 miles each summer in a fith wheel. We just traded for a MH that gets average 6-7 MPG. What luck with these fuel prices. Can't wait to hit the road in the new MH. Will assorb the prices of diesel.
You only live once, go for it.
vettehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #66

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
We'll do our normal 8,000 miles. This year we're going as far west as LV and all the National Parks In Utah, Wyoming, New Mexico , Colorado and then some. My goal is for the last check I write to bounce.
Cliff, when are you going to be in Colorado?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #67
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2

Cliff, when are you going to be in Colorado?
Hi Kent. We plan to be in Chama NM by the third week of May when they start the scenic train ride. Then the SW corner of Co and the Four Corner area , then on to Arizona, Utah and Wyoming. Not too much Co this trip ( since you told me you are from there). Sadly, I do have to travel across Tx. I will most likely be traveling on I 20. That's the plan. We're leaving next week , so it will take us four weeks to get to Chama. Any of these places close to where you'll be?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #68

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Kent. We plan to be in Chama NM by the third week of May when they start the scenic train ride. Then the SW corner of Co and the Four Corner area , then on to Arizona, Utah and Wyoming. Not too much Co this trip ( since you told me you are from there). Sadly, I do have to travel across Tx. I will most likely be traveling on I 20. That's the plan. We're leaving next week , so it will take us four weeks to get to Chama. Any of these places close to where you'll be?
I am planning on Colorado Springs from June 25-July 1 :(

When are you coming through here on I-20? I am only 10 minutes from I-20 and the 360 / Collins / Cooper area in Arlington.....would love to come meet you all even if for a few minutes if it works out....
Old 04-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #69
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2

I am planning on Colorado Springs from June 25-July 1 :(

When are you coming through here on I-20? I am only 10 minutes from I-20 and the 360 / Collins / Cooper area in Arlington.....would love to come meet you all even if for a few minutes if it works out....
Sounds like a plan. We're gonna spend some time in Grapevine which appears to be about 20 miles from Arlington. We'll be at Taledaga till May 7 ,so maybe about the 10th or so. I'll pm you when I know more.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #70

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Sounds like a plan. We're gonna spend some time in Grapevine which appears to be about 20 miles from Arlington. We'll be at Taledaga till May 7 ,so maybe about the 10th or so. I'll pm you when I know more.
Excellent! I'll email you my cell phone. Look forward to it!

Oops, I just realized I am flying to Kansas for my nephew's graduation Fri May 11 and will be back Sun May 13, so hopefully we can get our schedules together!

Tags
fuel