Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2015, 07:08 AM   #15

There is no mention of needing metal valve stems in the 507 flow through manual. However when we purchased the standard (non flow through version) system about 4 years ago there was a note in the installation section that said metal valve stems were not required but recommended.

The 507 flow through version has much longer and heavier sensors than the non flow through version. I would think it would be in your interest to replace your current valve stems with as short a metal version as possible. We have metal valve stems on the motorhome, and changed from rubber to metal on our Jeep. We've used the system for over 30,000 miles and have not had any problems.

As a side note we remove the sensors from both the motorhome and Jeep when not on the road. The batteries last longer, and there's no chance of destroying them by hitting or running over something, or drowning them in deep puddles. If you read the manual closely you'll see they're supposed to be "water resistant" not necessarily water proof.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2015, 07:15 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Why not just have Les Schwab do the stems, have always had good luck with them and I would guess they are about the same price as everyone else. This might not be the place to try ad be frugal.

LEN
Old 06-04-2015, 07:25 AM   #17
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Why not just have Les Schwab do the stems, have always had good luck with them and I would guess they are about the same price as everyone else. This might not be the place to try ad be frugal.

LEN
Good idea. I just went to a local tire dealer and told them I wanted all metal stems. Like jbenoit28, my rims had a recess where the stems were so I just let the tire dealer worry about what size the hole was and what stems were required to fit the recess. They ordered the stems, they arrived 2 days later, and they fit perfectly.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:34 AM   #18
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
There is no mention of needing metal valve stems in the 507 flow through manual...
I don't see metal valve stems mentioned in the 507 or the 507 flow through manuals, but the following is from the FAQ page on the TST website:
Do I need special valve stems?
No, you do not need special valve stems, but you do need commonly available metal valve stems.

The added weight of the sensor on a rubber valve stem could cause problems that will be avoided by using metal valve stems.

Most motorhomes and commercial transport vehicles come equipped with metal valve stems. If you do need metal valve stems, they are not expensive...
Old 06-04-2015, 11:51 AM   #19

I just cancelled my order after I called my tire store. He has the valves. Now to Jack up the trailer and pull off all four tires...

Just to be clear, the system works great.

Thanks for all the advice.

Joe
Old 06-06-2015, 06:57 PM   #20

I had a flat today because the valve stem failed. I also have the TPMS 507 system like the original poster. I thought I had metal stems, but I don't think they bolt in. FWIW, my TPMS sensor worked just like expected. We were going north on I-75 in the city limits of Macon, GA. My wife was driving and our speed was ~63mph. The TPMS dash unit alarmed and we pulled over as quickly as possible. I could hear air coming out of the tire as soon as I opened the door of the truck. I called Coach-Net and they sent a tech to put on my spare. We were back under way in less than an hour. I am going to change the valve stems on my tires. Does anybody know the size I need (using the 16" 8 bolt wheels that came with my trailer)?

PS - the body damage is from an exploding china bomb in 2014

andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:01 AM   #21
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
...Does anybody know the size I need (using the 16" 8 bolt wheels that came with my trailer)?
Since you currently have rubber stems, you almost certainly need .453" dia. However, it looks like your stems also fit down in a recess, so you will have to make sure the nut will fit down in that recess. Why not just take the tires to a tire store and let them worry about the fit?

Old 06-07-2015, 08:56 AM   #22

Quote:
Why not just take the tires to a tire store and let them worry about the fit?
Eventually, I will. However, it has been my experience that the quality of the advice you get at many businesses is poor. Often, it depends on if a knowledgeable and experienced person is available when you get there. I have found that it is to my advantage to know the answers to important questions before I authorize the work.

I believe I need a bolt/clamp on valve stem

I need one that is good past 105#s

I think the hole in my wheel is .453

I hope to find a valve stem that fits where the nut is on the outside of the wheel

I am not sure what length would be best - shorter is better.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:19 PM   #23

I just finished changing all my stems to the bolt in clamp style. I called my tire shop in advance, told them what I needed and they order them from NAPA. I think the SKU was TR416?? The valve came with both grommets so you could use it in either size rim hole. Mine were .435 on the truck and trailer. Both rim types had a small recess. The tire guy had to grab the back of the valve stem inside the rim with pliers and tighten it that way. You can't turn the nut. It worked out great.

Joe
Old 06-08-2015, 09:21 AM   #24

I finished mine too. I got my parts from O'Reilly Auto Parts - Part# is 15-416. I expect it is the same as the NAPA part. O'Reilly's had these stems in 1" and 1 1/2". I chose the longer to clear the recess of my aluminum wheels.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:36 PM   #25

Andy, those look identical to the ones I had installed. I chose 1.5" as well.

Joe
Old 06-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #26

We just got back from a trip to Stone Mountain, GA. I had one of the new metal valve stems leak on the way up, my monitor alerted me and I was able to get off the road and stop at a fuel station. The actual sensor came in handy to help me tighten the valve stem. I jammed the nut and then turned the stem with the sensor attached. Worked fine the rest of the trip. The system works great now and I'm still glad I bought it. They just might want to insist on the metal valve stems. I think there is enough proof to show the normal high pressure rubber stems aren't good for the system. My 2 cents.

Joe
Old 06-23-2015, 05:33 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will give you a suspect.. Sam's

There are brass or steel HIGH PRESSURE VALVE STEMS

And there are Brass or Steel valve stems not designed for high pressure use... I will not say Sam's is doing this on purpose but being part of the Walton Family of how cheap can we get it is possible a supplier is subbing lower quality low-pressure brass stems for the high pressure ones. Very possible.. Epically if marked "MADE IN CHINA"
Old 06-23-2015, 06:15 PM   #28

I have no doubt SAMs uses fairly cheap parts but their stems appear like any others I've had installed prior. Their valves didn't fail until almost a year later. The sensors were installed about four months ago. Either way, I'm happy with the all metal stems now.