Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2021, 02:17 PM   #1

Hire an Inspector on a Brand New Rig?

Greetings, all.

We'll be taking delivery of our 2021 Grand Design Momentum Toy Hauler in less than a month (so we are told). While Grand Design AND our dealer both say they do an extensive PDI on every new unit, I am somewhat skeptical of the quality of their PDI. Aside from our own inspection, we are seriously considering hiring our own RV inspector before we take possession.

Has anyone else hired an inspector on a brand new, straight from the factory RV? Was it worth it?

Thanks in advance.
We-R-B.O.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2021, 02:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by We-R-B.O.B. View Post
Has anyone else hired an inspector on a brand new, straight from the factory RV? Was it worth it?

In a word, YES.

Probably a good idea under any conditions, but with the decline in quality and increase in sales this year, a really good idea.

Try to find an inspector familiar with your brand RV. Get references from other he has inspected for.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:25 PM   #3

If you know RV's enough to use them do your own inspection, get a list of everything and test or operate it, that's is what the inspector is gonna do for your $1000
You have a month to make your own inspection sheet or find one.
ransil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:58 PM   #4

If you're skeptical of your dealer doing the PDI then demand that you walk around with him to make sure every inch is inspected. I can't believe a dealer wouldn't allow you to do so. Take a video as you go.

Stay on his lot a night or two to test out every system before leaving.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:13 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
IN general a good idea but i think it may depend somewhat on the make/model, manufacturer history, and what kind of PDI you are going to have.

We did not but felt very comfortable with our 2 day PDI, and a 3 night stay on the dealers site.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
In a word, YES.

Probably a good idea under any conditions, but with the decline in quality and increase in sales this year, a really good idea.

Try to find an inspector familiar with your brand RV. Get references from other he has inspected for.
Thanks, Wolfe10. Under ordinary circumstances, I probably would just do a thorough inspection myself. However, these are anything but ordinary times, as you stated earlier.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
If you know RV's enough to use them do your own inspection, get a list of everything and test or operate it, that's is what the inspector is gonna do for your $1000
You have a month to make your own inspection sheet or find one.
Thanks, ransil. I know a little about RV's, but not everything. I think I would prefer to have an unbiased, skilled individual handle the inspection. I fear that our desires to get the rig and start using it ASAP would be a hindrance.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
If you're skeptical of your dealer doing the PDI then demand that you walk around with him to make sure every inch is inspected. I can't believe a dealer wouldn't allow you to do so. Take a video as you go.

Stay on his lot a night or two to test out every system before leaving.
Thanks, twogypsies. I think in this day and age, it would be wise to "trust-but-verify".

We definitely will be recording the walk through.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
IN general a good idea but i think it may depend somewhat on the make/model, manufacturer history, and what kind of PDI you are going to have.

We did not but felt very comfortable with our 2 day PDI, and a 3 night stay on the dealers site.
Thanks, momdoc. I am not aware of different levels of PDI's, but I would want to have anything, and everything checked.

I am not sure if our dealer has the facilities to let us stay for a day or two, but it sure would be nice. If not, we might stay at a nearby park to have the 'shakedown' completed nearby.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:58 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Nah, just do what most of us did … have faith the manufacturer did a great job, trust that the dealer is very concerned about your satisfaction so will inspect and prep your unit with a fine tooth comb, then roll away from the lot with a big grin and lots of optimism.

Then complain here that what you did was ridiculous.

Just kidding ……. sounds as though a vetted, thorough and trusted inspector would be good. Best of luck to you.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 01:09 PM   #11

BTW, an inspector on a trailer (no chassis, engine, transmission, suspension, etc to inspect) should NOT be over $500.

Yes, many can self-inspect the RV systems.

But quality of caulking, waterproofing, attention to detail of frame welds, probably not so much.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:23 PM   #12

Some dealers will not let an inspector do an inspection on their property. They will claim insurance regulations, or some other red tape reason. I would check with the dealer first.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:28 PM   #13

Ask the general manager if you can assist in the PDI.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:35 PM   #14

Never rely soley on a dealer's PDI before signing any paperwork to take ownership.... regardless of how great they tell you they will be.

You can almost be assured some amout of issues will be found during the "owners" PDI... whether you do it yourself or you take along a "professional." You can also be assured that you will likely have issues that develop or are exposed after you drive it off the lot and weren't uncovered during the PDI.

There are plenty of PDI Check-Lists available to help you if you are not experienced owning an RV. It's worth using them even if you are experienced because there are a lot of things to inspect and it is easy to miss something. The key is to spend enough time..... even if it takes 2 - 4 hours..... and don't let the dealer rush you.

Anything you find during the PDI should be fixed to your satisfaction before you sign the paperwork. You also need to plan ahead as to whether you are willing to walk away if certain types of issues are uncovered or are not addressed to your satisfaction.

If you are uncomfortable following the PDI Check-Lists available on line, then spend the money on a professional if it makes you feel better. But in my opinion this is your money and it is something you will have to live with once you sign on the dotted line. I personally think you will learn more abour your new rig and feel better about the purchase if you take the time to do it yourself.
Judge64 is offline   Reply With Quote