Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2022, 10:01 PM   #1

Hitch rack for fat tire ebike.

I just ordered a radrover 6+ and own a class C RV. Can the group recommend a hitch rack with a ramp? I will need to buy a new hitch rack because of the fat tires and weight. The Hollywood Destination E bike is the leading candidate. It can take the weight of the bike if I remove the battery. It's not "RV" rated though. However, I have thousands of miles on my RV using a regular rack with no problem...but I do understand the Ebike is significantly heavier.

https://www.cyclevolta.com/story/ebi...ck-first-look/

The bike has front and rear fenders so I'm not sure if the 1up rack system will work.
https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-...ble-bike-rack/

Any recommendations would be great. Thanks.
Flyingsquirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2022, 05:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingsquirl View Post
I just ordered a radrover 6+ and own a class C RV. Can the group recommend a hitch rack with a ramp? I will need to buy a new hitch rack because of the fat tires and weight. The Hollywood Destination E bike is the leading candidate. It can take the weight of the bike if I remove the battery. It's not "RV" rated though. However, I have thousands of miles on my RV using a regular rack with no problem...but I do understand the Ebike is significantly heavier.

https://www.cyclevolta.com/story/ebi...ck-first-look/

The bike has front and rear fenders so I'm not sure if the 1up rack system will work.
https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-...ble-bike-rack/

Any recommendations would be great. Thanks.
We have two ebikes.....mine with the "fat tire", which is a 4" tire, and my wife's bike which is a non fat tire bike. It's a good idea to travel without the battery on the bike anyway.....weight or no weight issue. We have been using the HyperAx RV Volt bike rack, but there is no ramp that comes with it. My bike is about 62/63 lbs without the battery, and I simply lift the front of the bike and set the front wheel in the first tire loop. I then reposition myself at the rear of the bike, as my wife holds it steady and guides it as I lift the rear and roll the bike into both loops. If there is only one person, I would have to figure out something different.....it's a handful for one person. Aventon Aventure is the brand/model just for reference.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 05:42 AM   #3

Give Rad Power a call back and ask them about the Hollywood rack they carry. Same price and it works well on my C. It’s built to carry 80 lb bikes, which I’ve done for about 5 k miles so far and no issues. It could carry the bikes with the batteries but they recommend against doing so. Get yourself a good cover. We actually travel with 3 Rads, the third is inside seat belted to the sofa (take the handlebar and pedals off). You will absolutely love your Rad.
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:38 AM   #4

We have the Thule Easyfold Xt2 and it comes with a ramp and is rated for a motorhome, but, it is not cheap. I wanted the Hollywood bike rack but was overruled by the DW because she wanted the ramp.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 10:51 AM   #5

Have to admit the ramp is a good idea, as you are lifting a 75 lb bike in place. My problem is a 65 year old body, but a mind that still thinks he’s 21 .
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 12:14 PM   #6
US1

No reason to lift the full weight. Position the bike parallel to the rack. Apply rear hand brake and pull the front rearward and upward and place front wheel in the rack. Then simply lift the rear up and into the rack. If you have 2 bikes, load the 1st bike in the outer spot, then slip it 1 wheel at a time into the inner spot then load second bike. Reverse to unload. We have 2 Aventon Adventure bikes at 75# each. I can load/unload both in just a few seconds each.
Old 06-09-2022, 11:04 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Check out the Swagman website. They have fat bike racks for mounting on the back of RVs, but I'm not sure about ramps.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 11:06 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the input. I’ll post in here once I decide which rack I’m going with.
Flyingsquirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 01:47 AM   #9

Aren't e-bikes supposed to be kept out of the elements? I doubt the electric motors or controllers are water tight.
RV_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 06:18 AM   #10
US1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Lee View Post
Aren't e-bikes supposed to be kept out of the elements? I doubt the electric motors or controllers are water tight.
they are fine for rain and a washing, just not submerging
Old 06-10-2022, 06:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
No reason to lift the full weight. Position the bike parallel to the rack. Apply rear hand brake and pull the front rearward and upward and place front wheel in the rack. Then simply lift the rear up and into the rack. If you have 2 bikes, load the 1st bike in the outer spot, then slip it 1 wheel at a time into the inner spot then load second bike. Reverse to unload. We have 2 Aventon Adventure bikes at 75# each. I can load/unload both in just a few seconds each.
I have an Aventon Aventure also. I got the green and in the step through version.....Love it
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 09:18 AM   #12
US1

I bought a bike rack, RV rated and $450. When installed, it had so much play in the fold up hinge mechanism the bikes shook like crazy. Sent it back and made my own. 2x2x 1/4” wall tubing and solid 1/2” rods for the tire cradles, not the hollow tubes most use. I did not provide any folding detail as I wanted it solid. It’s as heavy a bike, but I can lift the rv off the ground with it! Clamped a GoPro on the ladder to watch how it performed. Bikes where as solid as could be with zero movement. I have approx $50 in material. Welded it myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	845CBBB2-D979-4855-ACB7-483FC893E041.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	367.8 KB
ID:	367913   Click image for larger version

Name:	DBA25255-0B87-4FBA-8E63-C3B9F1B6CA71.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	367914  

Old 06-10-2022, 11:20 AM   #13

https://www.discountramps.com/carriers/c/2130/
https://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb...ier-62837.html
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 11:30 AM   #14

I have a Thule model T2 Classic that our 2 fat tire ebikes (70lbs each) live on mounted on the back of our MH. Other then the fact the lock assemblies are not included and are an additional $40 on top of their seemingly high price, I have been very pleased with the way it works and no wobbles.

38k miles with them back there and no issues
rtaggio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, tire