Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2014, 10:24 PM   #1

Hmmm... rethinking the diesel vs gas argument!

Remember when diesel was nearly $1 cheaper than gas, then $.40 cheaper? Then it rose to slightly more expensive than gasoline, then $.40-.60 more? Well now that gas is hitting the sub $2 mark, I noticed a lot of stations still keeping diesel prices high. The price gap is widening.

Over the past two days I drove from Phoenix to Houston. I counted only two stations that offered diesel for $3 but most are asking $3.24 to $3.70 for diesel (some as high as $4.42 for diesel), while those same stations offerig regular unleaded for $1.99. That makes diesel 45% more expensive than gas now.

With the new diesel engines having far worse fuel economy than the older ones, and now with diesel vs gas spread increasing, the gas argument is starting to gain some traction.

I'm not saying I'd prefer gas. The way I tow (heavy), diesel is the only choice. But I am considering maybe going the gasser MH route instead of a TH using my diesel TV. It's almost as though the refiners of diesel think, "hey, if they can afford to drive and expensive diesel truck, they'll pay anything to fill it up!"

Hmmmmmmmmmm.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2014, 10:45 PM   #2

I agree, not to mention the initial price difference of Diesel vs/gas. Seems like Diesel coaches have a lot of fuel/filter issues. I also like the extra ground clearance of a gas coach because we camp off grid often.

PS I just filled up in Northeast Oklahoma 1.87 per gallon 70 gallons for $130.00
Old 12-28-2014, 11:00 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Yep....I'm sure that 40' gasser towing a 10K trailer will be a star on the highways! I'm pretty sure that most people buy a diesel for the power, not the price per gallon.

As a matter of fact, I bought my first DP in 2005 and diesel was $3.50 a gallon and went to $5.05 in the summer of 08 or 09. I'm ecstatic that I'm now paying $2.89 for diesel.

I don't think there was ever really an argument for gas vs diesel. A smart buyer, buys what suits his RVing needs.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:11 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Yep....I'm sure that 40' gasser towing a 10K trailer will be a star on the highways! I'm pretty sure that most people buy a diesel for the power, not the price per gallon.

As a matter of fact, I bought my first DP in 2005 and diesel was $3.50 a gallon and went to $5.05 in the summer of 08 or 09. I'm ecstatic that I'm now paying $2.89 for diesel.

I don't think there was ever really an argument for gas vs diesel. A smart buyer, buys what suits his RVing needs.
X2 - and the cargo capacity.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:25 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Listening to a talk show the other day. Fuel anylst claimed that the refineries were marking up diesel 3x the markup on gas. How long before the polititians jump on that with an election coming?
Old 12-28-2014, 11:34 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is one station selling diesel for $2.299 and unleaded gas for about the same. I paid 2.219 at Costco on Sat. for unleaded gas.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:35 AM   #7

Having towed my fiver for 3 years with a twin turbo gasser (Ecoboost), I will say that diesel doesn't have much over that. However, the Ecoboost requires premium fuel for towing which often puts it above the cost of diesel fuel. I have seen premium as much as .60 more than regular. My main reason for looking at a Super Duty now is for the much larger payload over the F150.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:05 AM   #8

You could use off road diesel depending on availability, but if an accident should occur, and your tank is dipped, your price of diesel just went up.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:13 AM   #9

Newer diesels have better fuel economy. Diesel offers loads more torque than gas does. It all depends on what you expect out of an engine. Make mine diesel please.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:23 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
It's all subject to change just like it the past. Next year gas may be higher than diesel. We can chase the price curve and never get ahead, only the oil companies win. JMO
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:27 AM   #11

I think I'm stuck on the idea of I should error on the TOO MUCH rather than the too little side of things so I don't outsmart myself...a used diesel.

After I read a thread like this, it's time for a glass of Maker's Mark as the deed is almost done.

This gas v diesel per gallon cost thing is a temporary moving target, but torque and ccc is for a long time.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:49 AM   #12

A diesel is all about maximum torque and its ability to sustain it without any worries of overheating. They are built to dissipate the heat that would impair or even destroy a gasoline engine. Yes, you pay more for the fuel, but the return is better fuel economy when compared to an equally weighted gasoline powered coach. Their low operating RPM also gives them an interior noise advantage over the higher revving gas engine. Here's a good comparison: Imagine an RV with a drive train strong enough to pull a weight that would lug a gas engine down to 60 MPH on flatland with your foot to the floor. That gas engine would be toast in a matter of minutes. Do the same with a diesel and you would continue at 60 MPH until you covered enough ground to stop for an oil change, then continue in the same way to wherever you wanted to go. In diesel development durability labs, that's exactly what happens. The engine is run at wide open throttle with the dynamometer absorbing the power sufficient to lung the engine down to its rated speed. The engine runs that way 24x7 and brought down every 8 hours for an oil level check, then back on test to rated speed & maximum load. A gas engine wouldn't have a prayer under those conditions.
Dan
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And let's face it, the least cost path to owning a motor home is to not own one...
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #14

A few observations:

1) You have to drive a lot of miles for it to make a big difference.
2) My experience (especially nearly weight for weight) is that total fuel burn is higher in a gas coach... so you cost per mile in fuel remains equal or very close to it.
3) ride and comfort. if you are driving enough to make it matter, having the engine in the back is super nice for reducing sound. And the ride of an air suspended chassis compared to a gasser...well, in my experience, there's no comparison. Ask yourself "can I leave a can of coke on my table and have it still there 400 miles later under most conditions?" In my gasser that wasn't very likely, with my DP it's very likely in all but the worst roads (and even then, it would often make it).

Steve

Tags
diesel, gas