RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2020, 01:21 PM   #1

Home and RV sites- Opinions Appreciated

Not sure where to post this but here goes. Been thinking of purchasing a small mountain home or land in the higher elevations of western North Carolina. Presently live in the Lowcountry of South Carolina. My thoughts were to buy a small home or maybe just property were we could put 4-6 RV pads on it. It would serve a couple purposes. We'd have a place to go during the hot summers and hurricane season. We'd also offer RVers a place to enjoy the mountains in the summer. It would be full hookups,50 amp. etc. Some people just like a quiet,peaceful place without the pool and playgrounds. Might only be four pads depending on the land layout. Well thats my crazy idea and hopefully somebody out there has done this before. Or maybe somebody has stayed at a place like this. All opinions and experiences will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and travel safely

radarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2020, 01:45 PM   #2

Sounds like a good idea if the land can be zoned for that use. It will also require some $$$ for full hookups. The sites should have a great deal of space to them, in my opinion. Those that want quiet and privacy don't want to be parked on top of each other. What about roads getting there with an RV? Will you have to maintain roads? I assume you will close down for the winter. Lots to think about.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:23 PM   #3

Was thinking we'd close down the winter months. Also thought of renting the house out for a caretaker in lieu of rent deal. Would have to be the right person though,been there and done that scenario. Figured at some point my traveling days will come to an end and we could spend the summers in the house. I agree about site spacing. Four nice sites are much nicer than six tight spots. Wouldn't be looking to make a killing on this,more to provide a nice spot and be good hosts.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:58 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Really nice concept. I have given quite a bit of thought to doing something similar, so very interested in your thoughts. One thing of course is that it would be important to handle it as a business, with plenty of liability insurance etc. And also consider how to handle the worst case scenarios that arise, such as how to remove a problem guest who doesn't want to leave, all the inconsiderate and damaging things some thoughtless people can do. Most all fellow RVers I have met are fine people but there's always the few bad apples; how to ID them and keep them out? I guess using standard RV park rules, policies, practices, and paperwork.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:04 PM   #5

Your absolutely right about the insurance. That's one reason we'd keep it as simple as possible. I agree with the 1% of deadbeat RVer part. Hopefully we could do a repeat customer type of thing. We know a lot of friends who go back to the same place every year. Like I stated before everything is in the planning stage. We kind of need a new adventure. If you want to call it that.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarboy View Post
Your absolutely right about the insurance. That's one reason we'd keep it as simple as possible. I agree with the 1% of deadbeat RVer part. Hopefully we could do a repeat customer type of thing. We know a lot of friends who go back to the same place every year. Like I stated before everything is in the planning stage. We kind of need a new adventure. If you want to call it that.
Boondockers Welcome has a very nice way of finding out about potential guests (and hosts) by their rating and comments of users. If a guest causes trouble, it is reported on their profile. Same with hosts.

I like the concept alot.
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:36 AM   #7

Simple will not decrease the cost of insurance. If you try and fly under the radar of your insurance provider and you have a costly claim, you run the risk of being denied coverage. Remember, the bigger the claim, the bigger the investigation into that claim. In addition to power, you will need potable water that has to be tested regularly by your county health department. Your septic disposal system will have to be approved. You will have to maintain the grounds, handle the trash, pay the power bills, make repairs and have someone available should problems arise. Spreading those costs over 4 or 6 sites will likely require site rates that are astronomical to even break even. Most people looking for a place out in the middle of nowhere with no real amenities want very low rates. If you don't screen your potential guests carefully you could end up with nothing but a low rent trailer park, and depending upon the laws of the state, after a period of time they will gain tenant rights which means it will take an act of congress to evict them. Remember some dreams are actually nightmares.
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:06 AM   #8

I'm a contractor here in western NC. We worked on a "Barn" a few years ago that was built to house antique tractors. The owner had other tractor friends that came to hangout. He had 4 or 5 RV full hookup spots on the property. I remember when we did the kitchen, it had to be to commercial code because it was considered a business even if he didn't charge his friends. Also, one bathroom had to be handicap accessible.

You may want to dig into this. One option might be to separate the deed so the home is not on the RV property.
TMyers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:35 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We camp alot in the moutains of NC, specifically Ashe County, which in the NW corner of of the state.

Riding around the countryside, I have seen several plots of land that are set up for what you are describing. Most of which, that I have seen are along, or close to the New River. I know of one specifically that is less than a 1/2 mile from the Blue Ridge Parkway right on Hwy 16.

These are open parcels of land with 4 to 5 RV's parked and set up for camping. A couple that comes to mind even have some park models set up as well. So your idea is not too far fetched...
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:44 AM   #10

Thanks for the insights,suggestions and good advise. To clarify a few things this would not be way out or inaccessible on bad roads. My original thought was to buy a small home and probably rent it out at first. Figured I'd put an RV pad for our trailer to use as needed. Maybe down the road move into the home in the summer when too old to travel. The RV pads idea came to pass when I thought if one maybe three more? I'm a retired Contractor myself so have a pretty good idea of costs. Have to take into consideration of how things work in the construction industry these days. When you say your going to do something,call back, or just show up,then do it. A lot of planning,thinking and $$$ is going to have to go into to this.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:31 AM   #11

Be sure to check with both your insurance company and your local sanitarian. We recently purchased land with a large barn in NW Montana and I upgraded to a 400 amp service in anticipation of building a house. I also put in three 30 amp services for my campers and other toys. A neighbor turned me into DEQ for constructing an illegal subdivision. His complaint went nowhere, but does show the pitfalls that can occur. In this area, 4-6 full hook-ups would constitute a subdivision and would require appropriate paperwork and associated costs. I don't think you could ever recoup the cost.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:02 PM   #12

Thanks for the insight. Doing some research kind of leaning to no more than three sites tops. A lot is going to depend on if there is a home already in place on the property. Kind of zeroing in on northwest Georgia and the far western North Carolina / Tennessee area. Like to be at 3500 ft. elevation minimum. North and a little west of Asheville is fairly pricey.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:47 PM   #13

I would be looking in the NE Georgia Mountains--around Hiawassee and Brasstown Valley specifically. It's very easy to get there from NW SC and I-85.

The place is breathtaking in beauty, with Lake Chatuge and the city of Hiawassee on islands.

Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote