Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2009, 04:54 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had hoped a search would find some answers, but it didn't. It possibly could fit in Fulltiming, but I'm not sure, so here is where it landed.

I live in central Texas and we are considering trying to find a little bit of acreage (say five acres), build a good size pad, bring in utilities and use this as our homebase, probably for as much as six months per year. My guess is that we would probably be there for less. Part of the problem would be in finding a place that wouldn't be a detriment to the area (no houses, etc., in the immediate area) and still have access to utilities. I don't want this place to be in amongst other like places, in other words, I don't want neighbors who also have pads.

I'm sure there must be several out there who have this sort of situation. What did you have to do to get what you wanted? I don't already have any land so building on my own place that has been in the family for years is out of the question. It doesn't have to be in central Texas, perhaps south Texas would be ok, but it really doesn't matter where as I'm sure the same principles would be true.

Minimum requirements that I can see at present would be the pad, water, electric and septic. Nice things to have would be a cover for the MH and small storage shed.

Any suggestions?
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2009, 04:54 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had hoped a search would find some answers, but it didn't. It possibly could fit in Fulltiming, but I'm not sure, so here is where it landed.

I live in central Texas and we are considering trying to find a little bit of acreage (say five acres), build a good size pad, bring in utilities and use this as our homebase, probably for as much as six months per year. My guess is that we would probably be there for less. Part of the problem would be in finding a place that wouldn't be a detriment to the area (no houses, etc., in the immediate area) and still have access to utilities. I don't want this place to be in amongst other like places, in other words, I don't want neighbors who also have pads.

I'm sure there must be several out there who have this sort of situation. What did you have to do to get what you wanted? I don't already have any land so building on my own place that has been in the family for years is out of the question. It doesn't have to be in central Texas, perhaps south Texas would be ok, but it really doesn't matter where as I'm sure the same principles would be true.

Minimum requirements that I can see at present would be the pad, water, electric and septic. Nice things to have would be a cover for the MH and small storage shed.

Any suggestions?
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Some friends recently bought property near Spring Branch, TX, to use as a home base. They are adding an RV pad, etc. I assume there will be similar properties near by, since the area obviously permits Rv sites and such properties are seldom in the midst of stick-house subdivisions, but I think the lots are large enough (acres) so that looking at your neighbor's RV is not an issue.

You can see a bit of it in their blog:
http://www.usabyrv.us/wordpress/
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:34 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
I've seen arrangements such as those you describe in quite a few central Texas locations - along Texas 16 between Fredericksburg and Kerrville comes to mind. I think the key is to find a rancher who would sell 5 acres with road frontage for such a project - the road frontage would normally provide access to electric service, and a water well and septic system will be pretty much a given outside of municipal areas.

We're taking a little different approach as we have a ~2 acre lot in a rural development that allows RV barns on the lot with a "sticks and bricks" house. We plan on building an RV barn with utilities and a concrete pad alongside with full 50 amp hookups for visitors. Electric service is available, but we'll have to put in a water well and septic system when we build at retirement.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote