Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
StevieG's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Milton, NY
Posts: 923
How about before asking a question, you do an IRV2 search?

I know I am going to sound like a grumpy old man (who's not that old!)with nothing better to do than complain, but I think this is a real issue in here. I've been on this site daily for about 2 years. In that time I've seen the same questions asked over and over and over... After market warranties, the best toad to pull, gas vs. diesel, where to get a loan, Pink stuff vs. air, cover no cover, and so on... You get the idea.

I know this is a free country where the same people can answer the same questions over and over as many times as they want. I've even seen responses that look cut and pasted from a prior thread where they answered the exact same question by somebody else at some earlier time. I know I can also ignore the post, but thought I would say something to see if others feel the same way I do. I could be all wet on this, which I'm sure I WILL be told by some... Regardless, I'll throw this out there to see what the feedback is... After all, this is what a forum is for, right?

For these particlular topics, I would like to suggest that the moderators politely direct the poster to the search function first and then ask if still unanswered. I know there are some forums that actually have you agree to this when you initially sign up. Some do what I am suggesting to cut the clutter on their site. I don't blame the individuals asking (I was one), as they are probably unaware that their question has been beat to death in here for as long as IRV2 has been on the internet.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this site because of the great people that contribute. I've personally learned A LOT! Truth be told, I spend more time here than most other places when on the computer/Ipad and am just making a suggestion..
__________________
Steve & Beth - Milton, New York
2009 Monaco Diplomat 41 SKQ
2016 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 13,876
Nothing wrong with your observation. Everyone posting on the same thead per topic would make about half a dozen or so SUPER threads where the same answers would be rehashed, aspersions would be cast, appologies made and still no final answers.

Having multiple threads enables some of us who love perusing the threads to remember what we forgot when we left the last thread.

Worst I remeber is the same guy posting the question twice with slightly different wording. I think the definition of stupidity is repeating the same solution hoping for a different outcome.
__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/InTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Belgian's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 694
I think you said it as politely as possible. When I first started reading posts from this site I was unaware of the search engine for answering many questions. This was the first site in forum format that I had ever used so I had no idea how things work. I was excited that there was a site like this where I could ask questions and people would answer quickly. And also answer nicely, even though the question has been asked hundreds of times. There are some questions that scare me, when people ask how to do a specific job that requires skills and equipment they obviously don’t have or they wouldn’t be asking the question.
Not sure there is an answer to the problem besides just reading past the posts that you’ve seen a hundred times.
__________________
Steve & Jeri
2004 Dolphin 5342
2000 Jeep Cherokee 4X4
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
wingtrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kinston, NC
Posts: 310
I see a lot of the same. However, it doesn't bother me one bit.
There is one rv site that I don't particularly care for because of the COB's.
YMMV,

Alex
__________________
2014 Thor Challenger 37KT
Kinston, NC
wingtrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,295
Sometimes repeating the question in a new thread gives fresh up to date responses and it's fun communicating with other rvers. Otherwise we could just type our questions into our browsers search bar and completely bipass this site.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ca
Posts: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingtrike View Post
I see a lot of the same. However, it doesn't bother me one bit.
There is one rv site that I don't particularly care for because of the COB's.
YMMV,

Alex
Crabby Old Boys that wanna be mods?
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 37,637
WHAT!!!

And cut out 75% of the threads here?
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft, HWH Active Air
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '21 Jeep JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,893
I agree....doesn't bother me to see the same question or subject matter again....we all have asked a question at some point that folks have seen here.........Better to ask the question and be directed to the search window.....If we do that to folks most of us will be directed to the search window and nobody would be posting....
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Falcon190's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Camas, WA
Posts: 872
How about before asking a question, you do an IRV2 search?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Sometimes repeating the question in a new thread gives fresh up to date responses and it's fun communicating with other rvers. Otherwise we could just type our questions into our browsers search bar and completely bipass this site.
x2. And maybe sometimes we forget when we too had a thousand newbee questions cos we were new to this RV world, questions we can now look back on and laugh at our innocence.

Those "new to them" questions inspire us to find "new to us" answers!!
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
palehorse89's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,073
Anytime a person starts a new thread , I have been doing the search for them and just post it as "Here is some reading for you till others chime in"..........Till folks that do not know about using it.......? In time they learn to.
__________________
2012 Essex 4544 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006 Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Grey Ghost I's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Georgia
Posts: 588
God bless us everyone!
__________________
Jerry and Barbara,
2005 Nat Sea Breeze 1321
2010 Honda CR-V toad
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
StevieG's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Milton, NY
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingtrike View Post
I see a lot of the same. However, it doesn't bother me one bit.
There is one rv site that I don't particularly care for because of the COB's.
YMMV,

Alex
Your mileage may vary?
__________________
Steve & Beth - Milton, New York
2009 Monaco Diplomat 41 SKQ
2016 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:23 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
I know I am going to sound like a grumpy old man (who's not that old!)with nothing better to do than complain, but I think this is a real issue in here. I've been on this site daily for about 2 years. In that time I've seen the same questions asked over and over and over... After market warranties, the best toad to pull, gas vs. diesel, where to get a loan, Pink stuff vs. air, cover no cover, and so on... You get the idea.

I know this is a free country where the same people can answer the same questions over and over as many times as they want. I've even seen responses that look cut and pasted from a prior thread where they answered the exact same question by somebody else at some earlier time. I know I can also ignore the post, but thought I would say something to see if others feel the same way I do. I could be all wet on this, which I'm sure I WILL be told by some... Regardless, I'll throw this out there to see what the feedback is... After all, this is what a forum is for, right?

For these particlular topics, I would like to suggest that the moderators politely direct the poster to the search function first and then ask if still unanswered. I know there are some forums that actually have you agree to this when you initially sign up. Some do what I am suggesting to cut the clutter on their site. I don't blame the individuals asking (I was one), as they are probably unaware that their question has been beat to death in here for as long as IRV2 has been on the internet.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this site because of the great people that contribute. I've personally learned A LOT! Truth be told, I spend more time here than most other places when on the computer/Ipad and am just making a suggestion..
While I understand, and quite frankly agree with what you have said, I must ask: What exactly were you expecting to see EVERYDAY for the last two years when you logged in?

Was it Freud who said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

Again, I agree with you and to a certain degree must put some of the blame on the website for not making internal searches more obvious.

This site cannot be all things to all people, that is why I leave it from time to time when the "social media," "message board", "chiming in for the sake of chiming in" stuff gets too heavy.
__________________
Stik
Full Timing since 2005
09 Journey 34Y, 2015 Grand Cherokee Toad
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #14
YC1
Senior Member
 
YC1's Avatar


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,392
You are asking the same question again. Do a search and you will find that out.


Ok. Just stirring the pot. IF the search function on this site worked better I would sure appreciate it.
__________________
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
400 Isl, 400 HP/// Now 450 HP
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iRV2 Supporters Andy R Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Forum Concerns 721 09-21-2021 06:09 AM
My search for a new class A ctpres Class A Motorhome Discussions 17 02-16-2014 08:36 AM
SPam from IRV2 jamesvinton Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Forum Concerns 10 07-20-2013 11:19 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.