Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2021, 02:19 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOHENS View Post
I trust the media more than the reporting from one person. You for example.

But I don't watch the propaganda media. Can't stand fox, oan and newsmax. I watch TV news, many other networks. But I also do research. Talk to other campers, and campground owners. Read this forum, and others. Then you find out who the real liars are.
Well said! If going to some of the popular areas, make associated reservations well in advance. We have already made many of ours for a 2 month, 5,800 mile, 2022 trip to the Rocky Mountain from NE GA.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2021, 02:38 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman View Post
The border is opening up for fully vaccinated Americans to travel to Canada for non essential purposes on August 9 however the American border opening date for Canadians for non essential travel has yet to be announced.
The Canadian entry requirements which go into effect Aug 9th will make it extremely difficult for RV travelers to enter Canada.

You have to download the ArriveCAN app and complete the online application before entry.
You have to be fully vaccinated with a Canadian approved vaccine.
And hereís the killer: you have to get a PCR (molecular) Covid test NO MORE than 72 prior to entry.

You can verify this yourself on the Canadian website.
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ng-into-canada

Pretty hard to do in Maine when the closest PCR test facility is a 4 hour drive from the border crossing, and no facility that Iíve contacted yet will guarantee test results within 72 hours. If anybody knows how get a PCR test and get results back in less than 72 hours, please let me know.

I thought I might be confused, so I called Canadian immigration and a nice lady confirmed the test requirement and said there will be no waivers.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:12 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Guess Iíll keep my money in the states this year if those are the hoops that we have to jump through. Sounds very inconvenient.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:46 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
The Canadian entry requirements which go into effect Aug 9th will make it extremely difficult for RV travelers to enter Canada.

You have to download the ArriveCAN app and complete the online application before entry.
You have to be fully vaccinated with a Canadian approved vaccine.
And hereís the killer: you have to get a PCR (molecular) Covid test NO MORE than 72 prior to entry.

You can verify this yourself on the Canadian website.
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ng-into-canada

Pretty hard to do in Maine when the closest PCR test facility is a 4 hour drive from the border crossing, and no facility that Iíve contacted yet will guarantee test results within 72 hours. If anybody knows how get a PCR test and get results back in less than 72 hours, please let me know.

I thought I might be confused, so I called Canadian immigration and a nice lady confirmed the test requirement and said there will be no waivers.
I got a PCR test on Saturday afternoon and got a call with the results on Sunday afternoon. Of course, the facility did not guarantee that I would get the results that quickly, nor did they guarantee any timeframe. They did state that it typically takes 2-3 days, so expecting a 72 hour turn-around is not unreasonable. This facility sends their samples to LabCorp.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:22 AM   #47

mostly at the state parks in TX have not had any problem I am sure the big nationals have issues and will for the foreseeable future I hear some states worse than others like CA I am told is bad
Edwin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:52 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin2 View Post
mostly at the state parks in TX have not had any problem I am sure the big nationals have issues and will for the foreseeable future I hear some states worse than others like CA I am told is bad
I've been camping all summer in Northern California and haven't had issues. I stay in state or county parks and have been everywhere from Lassen Volcanic to Salt Point on the Sonoma Coast. Next week I'm off to Tahoe and will be camping about 1/4 mile from the shore and adjacent to the Rubicon Trail.

I always go during the week and I haven't seen a full campground yet.
propchef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:45 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Weekend seems to be mostly booked were we camp. But week day are open.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:02 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
In the south our reply to you is "well bless your heart". Do what you want and believe what you want. This forum is designed to share experiences, make observations on actual experiences and offer advice. The value of that advice is what you have paid for it.
Airboss68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:34 PM   #51

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We just returned from an 8 week 4k mile trip that hit both out of the ways places and some tourist trap type areas. We did book most of our stops in advance as we were fearful of not finding a spot for our larger rig.

Heading out we made a stop in small towns in Tennessee and Kentucky. Both had spot open each night but not many. We did a quick 2 night stop outside Lima, OH to visit relatives and the KOA there was full both nights.

Spent 5 nights in Ludington, MI along lake Michigan and they were full or nearly full each night.

In Sault Ste. Marie we stayed in Aune Osborn campground and again they were full or nearly so each of the 4 nights we were there. We took day trips to Whitefish Point and to Tahquamenon Falls and both were very crowded. The campground at the State Park at the falls was packed as were the trails to both the upper and lower falls. Lots of people in the downtown area and at the locks.

In Munising, MI at Pictured Rocks again the campground we were at was full or nearly full each of the 4 nights we were there. Lots of people on the boat trip to Pictured Rocks and in the downtown area. Lots of people hiking to the numerous water falls in the area as well.

In the Houghton/Hancock area we spent 3 nights exploring the peninsula and Eagle and Copper Harbors. The campground was again sold out each night. There were some people at the tip of the peninsula at Eagle and Copper Harbor but not overly crowded n the rainy day we visited.

We spent a night in Ironwood, MI and was able to get 2 nights last minute in a great campground but this was on Wed & Thu and they were sold out for the weekend.

Stopping in Oshkosh, WI for the weekend the campground near the Airport and museum were full. Lots of people touring the airplane museum as well.

We had to stop in Indiana for a MH glass repair appointment then spent a week in the area. The campground in Shipshewanna was busy but there were usually a site or 2 available each night.

In Chattanooga, TN the campground was full each night of the 5 we spent there. Lots of people out and about in the downtown area. We did visit the Tennessee Aquarium and it was very crowded. Most of the restaurants downtown were also crowded while we were there.

We did hit one giant tourist area on this trip; Pigeon Forge, TN and as usual it and Gatlinburg and Smokey Mountains National Park were packed. We were here for 5 days and each of those days the campground was full and the traffic backups were as bad as usual. Hiking trails in the NP were also very, very crowded. Even the lesser known areas were full of people.

So to sum this long winded (sorry) story up; I think we could have found a site for our large rig in most of these areas we travelled in during the week. The more touristy areas and weekends would have been a problem without advance reservations. We traveled about 6 weeks last summer and we could have found a spot last minute most places. I think there were many, many more people out and about this year.

Just as a side note; we did seem to notice a good number of campers who appeared to be newer campers. We did notice some very funny and a couple of scary things but that is for another post.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:21 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmck1737 View Post
We just returned from an 8 week 4k mile trip that hit both out of the ways places and some tourist trap type areas. We did book most of our stops in advance as we were fearful of not finding a spot for our larger rig.

In Chattanooga, TN the campground was full each night of the 5 we spent there. Lots of people out and about in the downtown area. We did visit the Tennessee Aquarium and it was very crowded. Most of the restaurants downtown were also crowded while we were there.

We did hit one giant tourist area on this trip; Pigeon Forge, TN and as usual it and Gatlinburg and Smokey Mountains National Park were packed. We were here for 5 days and each of those days the campground was full and the traffic backups were as bad as usual. Hiking trails in the NP were also very, very crowded. Even the lesser known areas were full of people.

places. I think there were many, many more people out and about this year.

Just as a side note; we did seem to notice a good number of campers who appeared to be newer campers. We did notice some very funny and a couple of scary things but that is for another post.
Curious where did you stay in Chattanooga? On my recent trip to NC we spent 2 nights at Chester Frost during the week and it was pretty packed but that's not different from any year. Locals book for their 2 weeks and it's a daily "musical sites" of those repositioning to their next reservation. While in Waynesville NC we drove into the SMNP and into 1 campground. It was fairly packed, some openings but didn't check to see if it was marked full. The parkway was almost abandoned. Cherokee had people but not a zoo.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote