Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2021, 06:37 AM   #1

How are the crowds out there?

I went to Alaska in last week of May and beginning of June and they were not bad. But now that the season has kicked in I keep reading horror stories in several news articles.
Are they as bad as I fear? Compared with pre-covid, worse or better?
Thanks.
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2021, 06:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
I went to Alaska in last week of May and beginning of June and they were not bad. But now that the season has kicked in I keep reading horror stories in several news articles.
Thanks.
Basically you can disregard anything you read in the "so called media". Articles are written for the shock and fear motivations and often the person/s writing it have little actual knowledge of the subject. Bottom line summer is high travel season so expect crowds especially at tourist hot spots. If you are traveling to Yellowstone, Grand Canyon in June or later expect massive crowds. It was that way in years past, that way this year.

BUT throw in the variables of this year and all the RVs sold the last year, crowds are heavier. If going to a "hot spot" is desired, reservations early are mostly required. On the fly travel might find you in a truck stop or rest area as a last resort. We're on a 2 week trip up in the NC mountains and the RV parks are busy, few open spots. We have reservations so we have a spot. Many of the occupants are long term at where we have stayed and driven through. Interestingly last week during the week, we drove some on the western section of the Blue Ridge Parkway, weather great and very little traffic. Great drive.

We live in SE AL and have a property in NW FL on a bayou just north of the beaches. Traffic and crowds are a nightmare with too many people in too small a place. Tourist development heavily pushed the place without regards as to where the people would go or park. We don't go across the bridge period.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:28 AM   #3

There are lots of folks vacationing for sure. Although you might not be able to get a coveted spot in that National Park you want to visit, there are often private RV parks just outside the gates that have room. We have a medium large rig, so a number of parks canít fit us. We use a lot of KOAs and Passport America parks. They always seem to have a few spots. We then drive our Jeep in to tour the parks. Pack a picnic lunch and have some fun.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
Thanks.
Worse & the Canadians are not here.

You should book next year's site now.
PS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:19 PM   #5

You went to Alaska in May? I thought the border was closed for pleasure trips.... or do you live there? or did you fly?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:44 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The people claiming “crowds” are those people who, like the reporters, think the only places to go are Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, and Mt. Rushmore. Sells more papers if you can jazz up the fear factor a notch or two.
DW and I are not experiencing the crowding described in the news. We also find more pleasure in the places few talk about. At a birthday dinner with the family yesterday, our 40-something kids talked about all the camping trips we took when they were younger. They admitted that the out-of-the-way places were where they had the most fun and the best memories.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You went to Alaska in May? I thought the border was closed for pleasure trips.... or do you live there? or did you fly?
I flew and rented a vehicle...
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:45 PM   #8

I haven't noticed the crowds being any bigger this year than in previous years but we don't go to places like Yellowstone. We get nothing out of being in a crowd of thousands no matter how beautiful the surroundings. Who wants to spend $80 a night to camp with 309 other RVs that each have upwards of 6 or 8 campers all in what amounts to a parking lot surrounded by pine trees? We prefer the less visited spots that are just as enjoyable. We have been able to get reservations at our type of spots all summer long. The only adjustment we had to make was for the Hershey, PA area in August.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
Basically you can disregard anything you read in the "so called media". Articles are written for the shock and fear motivations and often the person/s writing it have little actual knowledge of the subject. Bottom line summer is high travel season so expect crowds especially at tourist hot spots. If you are traveling to Yellowstone, Grand Canyon in June or later expect massive crowds. It was that way in years past, that way this year.

BUT throw in the variables of this year and all the RVs sold the last year, crowds are heavier. If going to a "hot spot" is desired, reservations early are mostly required. On the fly travel might find you in a truck stop or rest area as a last resort. We're on a 2 week trip up in the NC mountains and the RV parks are busy, few open spots. We have reservations so we have a spot. Many of the occupants are long term at where we have stayed and driven through. Interestingly last week during the week, we drove some on the western section of the Blue Ridge Parkway, weather great and very little traffic. Great drive.

We live in SE AL and have a property in NW FL on a bayou just north of the beaches. Traffic and crowds are a nightmare with too many people in too small a place. Tourist development heavily pushed the place without regards as to where the people would go or park. We don't go across the bridge period.
So you are saying the same thing that the "so called media" is reporting. Also the same thing we have experienced.
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOHENS View Post
So you are saying the same thing that the "so called media" is reporting. Also the same thing we have experienced.
The "so called propaganda media" is into agendas and scare tactics. Cherry picked facts and out right lies. In March/April I went for Alabama to Tucson to Moab and back, 6 week trip. I encountered vacancies at each park along the way. My driving wasn't obstructed by RVs. Last August/Sept. I made a 4 week trip from AL up through midwest to ND and return. There were vacancies all along the way. At all those locations the only place that was full was Moab UT. Moab big time in-season is that time of the year. We were at a friends house hooked up and parked.

Because of my size and plans, I make reservations and had no problems getting them when I called or checked online.

My suggestion to you is watch the local and national "news" and believe them 100%. Follow their guidance and live your live the way they require and demand that you do. Do that and there will be one more site out there open for people who want to go.

EDIT adding; Where we are in NC there are openings, not many though. As I drink my coffee I can see a few. People come and go. Maybe they will be occupied tonight but others will vacate.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:42 AM   #11

I trust the media more than the reporting from one person. You for example.

But I don't watch the propaganda media. Can't stand fox, oan and newsmax. I watch TV news, many other networks. But I also do research. Talk to other campers, and campground owners. Read this forum, and others. Then you find out who the real liars are.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOHENS View Post
I trust the media more than the reporting from one person. You for example.

But I don't watch the propaganda media. Can't stand fox, oan and newsmax. I watch TV news, many other networks. But I also do research. Talk to other campers, and campground owners. Read this forum, and others. Then you find out who the real liars are.
In the south our reply to you is "well bless your heart". Do what you want and believe what you want. This forum is designed to share experiences, make observations on actual experiences and offer advice. The value of that advice is what you have paid for it.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:57 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I just got back from a 5 week trip visiting a number of nations parks, monuments, and other sites.

Mammoth Cave- I had a hard time finding a campground, almost all the tours were booked, got lucky since I was by mysel

BadLands- Wall SD seemed busy along with the dispersed camping along the Wall, looked like ~100-150 RV crammed in.

Wind Cave- I was able to get a campsite in the Elk Mountain campground. There were long lines for tours, got lucky since I was by myself.

Both the Rushmore and Crazy Horse sites seemed full. The surrounding towns seemed busy.

Devils Tower campground was 1/3 full but not surprising since it does not have hookups. The KOA at the entrance was full.

The Roosevelt NP southern unit was packed, I couldn't get a site at the two large campgrounds in Modera but got one in one out of town 10 miles. Which was fine with me. The northern unit was not crowded.

Voysgeurs NP in MN seemed busy considering how remote it was, the 2 visitor centers had lots of activity and the boat landings were full with people parking out in the street.

I stayed at in St Ignance MI, I did not go the Mackinaw Island but the ports seemed busy. Had a hard time finding a campground, the two nights I stayed I got one of the last vacancies. The campground we normally would stay at was full and in the past I'd never had a problem with just pulling in to get a site. Drove to Sault St Marie locks, seemed crowded. Drove to Tahquamenon Falls State Park was packed, campground was full, considering the effort to get there I was surprised.

Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore was packed, trying to find a place to park was tough.

Cayahoga NP was crowded but this is near a urban area mostly used by locals. Didn't try to get a campground site near there so no idea on vacancies.

So from my personal experience it seemed like things are busy. I'm not planning another trip during peak season but will wait and do it off season.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I just got back from a 5 week trip visiting a number of nations parks, monuments, and other sites.

Mammoth Cave- I had a hard time finding a campground, almost all the tours were booked, got lucky since I was by mysel

BadLands- Wall SD seemed busy along with the dispersed camping along the Wall, looked like ~100-150 RV crammed in.

Wind Cave- I was able to get a campsite in the Elk Mountain campground. There were long lines for tours, got lucky since I was by myself.

Both the Rushmore and Crazy Horse sites seemed full. The surrounding towns seemed busy.

Devils Tower campground was 1/3 full but not surprising since it does not have hookups. The KOA at the entrance was full.

The Roosevelt NP southern unit was packed, I couldn't get a site at the two large campgrounds in Modera but got one in one out of town 10 miles. Which was fine with me. The northern unit was not crowded.

Voysgeurs NP in MN seemed busy considering how remote it was, the 2 visitor centers had lots of activity and the boat landings were full with people parking out in the street.

I stayed at in St Ignance MI, I did not go the Mackinaw Island but the ports seemed busy. Had a hard time finding a campground, the two nights I stayed I got one of the last vacancies. The campground we normally would stay at was full and in the past I'd never had a problem with just pulling in to get a site. Drove to Sault St Marie locks, seemed crowded. Drove to Tahquamenon Falls State Park was packed, campground was full, considering the effort to get there I was surprised.

Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore was packed, trying to find a place to park was tough.

Cayahoga NP was crowded but this is near a urban area mostly used by locals. Didn't try to get a campground site near there so no idea on vacancies.

So from my personal experience it seemed like things are busy. I'm not planning another trip during peak season but will wait and do it off season.
Now that was good information. Thanks for the post, and sorry if I ruffled some feathers. But to be fair I didn't start it.