Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-25-2021, 06:37 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 41
How are the crowds out there?

I went to Alaska in last week of May and beginning of June and they were not bad. But now that the season has kicked in I keep reading horror stories in several news articles.
Are they as bad as I fear? Compared with pre-covid, worse or better?
Thanks.
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2021, 06:53 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: LA, Lower Alabama
Posts: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
I went to Alaska in last week of May and beginning of June and they were not bad. But now that the season has kicked in I keep reading horror stories in several news articles.
Are they as bad as I fear? Compared with pre-covid, worse or better?
Thanks.
Basically you can disregard anything you read in the "so called media". Articles are written for the shock and fear motivations and often the person/s writing it have little actual knowledge of the subject. Bottom line summer is high travel season so expect crowds especially at tourist hot spots. If you are traveling to Yellowstone, Grand Canyon in June or later expect massive crowds. It was that way in years past, that way this year.

BUT throw in the variables of this year and all the RVs sold the last year, crowds are heavier. If going to a "hot spot" is desired, reservations early are mostly required. On the fly travel might find you in a truck stop or rest area as a last resort. We're on a 2 week trip up in the NC mountains and the RV parks are busy, few open spots. We have reservations so we have a spot. Many of the occupants are long term at where we have stayed and driven through. Interestingly last week during the week, we drove some on the western section of the Blue Ridge Parkway, weather great and very little traffic. Great drive.

We live in SE AL and have a property in NW FL on a bayou just north of the beaches. Traffic and crowds are a nightmare with too many people in too small a place. Tourist development heavily pushed the place without regards as to where the people would go or park. We don't go across the bridge period.
__________________
2021 Thor Omni XG32
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ (GFs)
2020 Ram Laramie 1500
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:28 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,039
There are lots of folks vacationing for sure. Although you might not be able to get a coveted spot in that National Park you want to visit, there are often private RV parks just outside the gates that have room. We have a medium large rig, so a number of parks canít fit us. We use a lot of KOAs and Passport America parks. They always seem to have a few spots. We then drive our Jeep in to tour the parks. Pack a picnic lunch and have some fun.
__________________
2016 Fleetwood Bounder 33C. Towing 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.
F454941
Elwood58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:42 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
I went to Alaska in last week of May and beginning of June and they were not bad. But now that the season has kicked in I keep reading horror stories in several news articles.
Are they as bad as I fear? Compared with pre-covid, worse or better?
Thanks.
Worse & the Canadians are not here.

You should book next year's site now.
PS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:19 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Enjoying the Western States!
Posts: 14,844
You went to Alaska in May? I thought the border was closed for pleasure trips.... or do you live there? or did you fly?
__________________
Full-timed for 16 Years . . .
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th wheel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:44 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Pierce County, WA
Posts: 158
The people claiming “crowds” are those people who, like the reporters, think the only places to go are Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, and Mt. Rushmore. Sells more papers if you can jazz up the fear factor a notch or two.
DW and I are not experiencing the crowding described in the news. We also find more pleasure in the places few talk about. At a birthday dinner with the family yesterday, our 40-something kids talked about all the camping trips we took when they were younger. They admitted that the out-of-the-way places were where they had the most fun and the best memories.
__________________
2000 Four Winds Hurricane 30Q
Backup RV: RANS Dynamik Duo tandem
JohnBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:22 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You went to Alaska in May? I thought the border was closed for pleasure trips.... or do you live there? or did you fly?
I flew and rented a vehicle...
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:45 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 302
I haven't noticed the crowds being any bigger this year than in previous years but we don't go to places like Yellowstone. We get nothing out of being in a crowd of thousands no matter how beautiful the surroundings. Who wants to spend $80 a night to camp with 309 other RVs that each have upwards of 6 or 8 campers all in what amounts to a parking lot surrounded by pine trees? We prefer the less visited spots that are just as enjoyable. We have been able to get reservations at our type of spots all summer long. The only adjustment we had to make was for the Hershey, PA area in August.
__________________
Lt Keefer
2018 Hurricane 29M
RetiredbutWorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:21 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
Basically you can disregard anything you read in the "so called media". Articles are written for the shock and fear motivations and often the person/s writing it have little actual knowledge of the subject. Bottom line summer is high travel season so expect crowds especially at tourist hot spots. If you are traveling to Yellowstone, Grand Canyon in June or later expect massive crowds. It was that way in years past, that way this year.

BUT throw in the variables of this year and all the RVs sold the last year, crowds are heavier. If going to a "hot spot" is desired, reservations early are mostly required. On the fly travel might find you in a truck stop or rest area as a last resort. We're on a 2 week trip up in the NC mountains and the RV parks are busy, few open spots. We have reservations so we have a spot. Many of the occupants are long term at where we have stayed and driven through. Interestingly last week during the week, we drove some on the western section of the Blue Ridge Parkway, weather great and very little traffic. Great drive.

We live in SE AL and have a property in NW FL on a bayou just north of the beaches. Traffic and crowds are a nightmare with too many people in too small a place. Tourist development heavily pushed the place without regards as to where the people would go or park. We don't go across the bridge period.
So you are saying the same thing that the "so called media" is reporting. Also the same thing we have experienced.
__________________
Evergreen Ascend 19 ERD
04 silverado 1500
hobie tandem island, electric recumbent trikes
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:26 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: LA, Lower Alabama
Posts: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOHENS View Post
So you are saying the same thing that the "so called media" is reporting. Also the same thing we have experienced.
The "so called propaganda media" is into agendas and scare tactics. Cherry picked facts and out right lies. In March/April I went for Alabama to Tucson to Moab and back, 6 week trip. I encountered vacancies at each park along the way. My driving wasn't obstructed by RVs. Last August/Sept. I made a 4 week trip from AL up through midwest to ND and return. There were vacancies all along the way. At all those locations the only place that was full was Moab UT. Moab big time in-season is that time of the year. We were at a friends house hooked up and parked.

Because of my size and plans, I make reservations and had no problems getting them when I called or checked online.

My suggestion to you is watch the local and national "news" and believe them 100%. Follow their guidance and live your live the way they require and demand that you do. Do that and there will be one more site out there open for people who want to go.

EDIT adding; Where we are in NC there are openings, not many though. As I drink my coffee I can see a few. People come and go. Maybe they will be occupied tonight but others will vacate.
__________________
2021 Thor Omni XG32
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ (GFs)
2020 Ram Laramie 1500
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:42 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 12
I trust the media more than the reporting from one person. You for example.

But I don't watch the propaganda media. Can't stand fox, oan and newsmax. I watch TV news, many other networks. But I also do research. Talk to other campers, and campground owners. Read this forum, and others. Then you find out who the real liars are.
__________________
Evergreen Ascend 19 ERD
04 silverado 1500
hobie tandem island, electric recumbent trikes
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:01 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: LA, Lower Alabama
Posts: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOHENS View Post
I trust the media more than the reporting from one person. You for example.

But I don't watch the propaganda media. Can't stand fox, oan and newsmax. I watch TV news, many other networks. But I also do research. Talk to other campers, and campground owners. Read this forum, and others. Then you find out who the real liars are.
In the south our reply to you is "well bless your heart". Do what you want and believe what you want. This forum is designed to share experiences, make observations on actual experiences and offer advice. The value of that advice is what you have paid for it.
__________________
2021 Thor Omni XG32
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ (GFs)
2020 Ram Laramie 1500
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:57 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
jacwjames's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9,458
I just got back from a 5 week trip visiting a number of nations parks, monuments, and other sites.

Mammoth Cave- I had a hard time finding a campground, almost all the tours were booked, got lucky since I was by mysel

BadLands- Wall SD seemed busy along with the dispersed camping along the Wall, looked like ~100-150 RV crammed in.

Wind Cave- I was able to get a campsite in the Elk Mountain campground. There were long lines for tours, got lucky since I was by myself.

Both the Rushmore and Crazy Horse sites seemed full. The surrounding towns seemed busy.

Devils Tower campground was 1/3 full but not surprising since it does not have hookups. The KOA at the entrance was full.

The Roosevelt NP southern unit was packed, I couldn't get a site at the two large campgrounds in Modera but got one in one out of town 10 miles. Which was fine with me. The northern unit was not crowded.

Voysgeurs NP in MN seemed busy considering how remote it was, the 2 visitor centers had lots of activity and the boat landings were full with people parking out in the street.

I stayed at in St Ignance MI, I did not go the Mackinaw Island but the ports seemed busy. Had a hard time finding a campground, the two nights I stayed I got one of the last vacancies. The campground we normally would stay at was full and in the past I'd never had a problem with just pulling in to get a site. Drove to Sault St Marie locks, seemed crowded. Drove to Tahquamenon Falls State Park was packed, campground was full, considering the effort to get there I was surprised.

Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore was packed, trying to find a place to park was tough.

Cayahoga NP was crowded but this is near a urban area mostly used by locals. Didn't try to get a campground site near there so no idea on vacancies.

So from my personal experience it seemed like things are busy. I'm not planning another trip during peak season but will wait and do it off season.
__________________
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD Cummins ISC 350 8.3L
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:36 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I just got back from a 5 week trip visiting a number of nations parks, monuments, and other sites.

Mammoth Cave- I had a hard time finding a campground, almost all the tours were booked, got lucky since I was by mysel

BadLands- Wall SD seemed busy along with the dispersed camping along the Wall, looked like ~100-150 RV crammed in.

Wind Cave- I was able to get a campsite in the Elk Mountain campground. There were long lines for tours, got lucky since I was by myself.

Both the Rushmore and Crazy Horse sites seemed full. The surrounding towns seemed busy.

Devils Tower campground was 1/3 full but not surprising since it does not have hookups. The KOA at the entrance was full.

The Roosevelt NP southern unit was packed, I couldn't get a site at the two large campgrounds in Modera but got one in one out of town 10 miles. Which was fine with me. The northern unit was not crowded.

Voysgeurs NP in MN seemed busy considering how remote it was, the 2 visitor centers had lots of activity and the boat landings were full with people parking out in the street.

I stayed at in St Ignance MI, I did not go the Mackinaw Island but the ports seemed busy. Had a hard time finding a campground, the two nights I stayed I got one of the last vacancies. The campground we normally would stay at was full and in the past I'd never had a problem with just pulling in to get a site. Drove to Sault St Marie locks, seemed crowded. Drove to Tahquamenon Falls State Park was packed, campground was full, considering the effort to get there I was surprised.

Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore was packed, trying to find a place to park was tough.

Cayahoga NP was crowded but this is near a urban area mostly used by locals. Didn't try to get a campground site near there so no idea on vacancies.

So from my personal experience it seemed like things are busy. I'm not planning another trip during peak season but will wait and do it off season.
Now that was good information. Thanks for the post, and sorry if I ruffled some feathers. But to be fair I didn't start it.
__________________
Evergreen Ascend 19 ERD
04 silverado 1500
hobie tandem island, electric recumbent trikes
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Acadia NP 2021 - crowds? Dive in Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 17 07-29-2021 05:19 AM
Colorado crowds in summer? sbeers Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 14 11-07-2020 07:01 AM
How are the crowds at Yellowstone? Keith55 Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 19 08-13-2020 06:49 AM
Crowds? Rio Grande Valley Winter 2016 fixn2gocamp Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 16 01-15-2016 09:12 AM
Smoky Mountain Crowds in Summer Catch14me Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 13 07-22-2015 06:51 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.