Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #1

How cold?

Can you RV in winter? Is there danger of pipes freezing as you travel? We don't yet own an RV, so everything is new. Thanks.
ourbreather is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2014, 07:29 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Depends on the quality of the rig and it's insulation. Some rigs have exposed plumbing and tanks with thin or nonexistant insulation and single pane windows, some, like ours have thick insulation with the plumbing in insulated, heated bays and dual pane windows.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
Here is a link that will give you answers to your question if you want to or other wise.

Here is another link for info to the forums.
Enjoy the forums and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #4

I have been in mine (by myself, no family) in temps down to about 25* without freezing, but that was the low and the daytime highs were about 40* or so. Mine does not have much for insulation and single pane windows. I only ran the heat when I was there and shut the heat off even overnight. I can tell you it sucked up propane! I was using 30# in four days.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:34 AM   #5

I very much agree with Mr. D's answer. There are RVs which are capable of being used in cold weather and there are those which are not. In general, the cold weather survivable models will cost and weigh more than those which do not. We lived all of the time in a class A motorhome that was designed for usability in cold weather and it had all tanks and plumbing inside of heated spaces. We now own an ultra light weight RV that is intended for seasonal use and it has waste tanks that are mounted in the trailer frame and open to the weather and there are a couple of places where fresh water lines are under the floor and exposed to the weather. The first RV was one of the most expensive and highly rated of the gasoline motorhomes while the present RV is marketed as a seasonal, light weight RV.

A good way to get solid information about RVs and their quality and intention of construction is to join the RV Consumer Group.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:22 PM   #6

I agree with the previous posts, some RV's are made for cold weather and some aren't. We had an Arctic Fox TT and it was made for cold weather. Everything worked even at -15F.

We just survived -10F with no problems in our new to us coach and it's presently a balmy +9F outside as I sit here snug and warm in our coach.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:16 PM   #7

I had a Bigfoot slide-in rig that was fully winterized and would go to the ski hills at -18C/0F and as long as I left the furnace on low all was fine. Had it on a 1 ton ford supercab with duallies and diesel. It had 2 bus heaters in it as well to use engine heat while driving. Best unit I ever had but we outgrew it.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:15 AM   #8

It's now low 19 f here and high 28 for the week and we are well in our Heartland Big Country
It's 40 ft long with dual pane windows. Furnace and fire place keeps it comfortable like any house. Water disconnected and will fill when weather warms up next week. For now the fresh water tank was filled and gray and black water tanks will hold.
No heat pads required here. Going south 15th Dec.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:56 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most Class A's now days are designed to be good down to 20 (Internal water only, your city hose (unless heated) will freeze)

I have been there many times, got down to 11 one night last year (Single cold water pipe froze, and thawed, no damage) and down to minus six once (froze solid, less than 10.00 in damage, ICE MAKER was shut off at the shut off valve so it had no water in the solenoid)

Does this help.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:15 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We keep the slides in during inclement weather to help keep the inside temps toasty. When you decide to look for a coach, keep that in mind and consider the living arrangements with the slides in.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ourbreather, Welcome to iRV2!!

We're in travel mode now, as I type this. Stayed at the Walmart CC in Danbury CT last night. When we returned from dinner with friends it was 21* here, but we were nice and warm inside our DS.

Good Luck!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote