Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #15

Rear cap? What is that?
sgtstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtstriker View Post
Rear cap? What is that?
The fiberglass tail of the RV. It often has space in it to allow for the A/C ducts to go from the basement to the overhead. Since you've got a WH chassis and not a DP, your duct work might run differently.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I too would love to get 30* of spread in my 40DP with basement air. Twenty is about all I can muster in the Arizona sun.

I have custom exterior sun shades and use my pull out awnings but never leave the main patio awning out when I'm gone. I won't consider covering my windows with tin foil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtstriker View Post
Rear cap? What is that?
The large molded "ends" of Class A rigs are called "caps". Basement air units (especially Winnie models I believe) have had problems with the ducts in the rear cap coming loose so that the cold air just blows into the rear cap rather than all being forced through the ceiling ducts.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:13 PM   #18

I've looked up in there and the ducting seems taped well. No indication of any air loss, nothing blowing around... Frustrating...
Thanks for the suggestion...
sgtstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #19

My next coach will definitely have more than 2 a/c units for this exact reason.

One option to consider if you do this much is to buy a portable a/c unit and then when you are stopped put it up right next to the driver's seat and let it exhaust out the driver's window. We met some folks in Vegas that had done that and I am considering it myself.

Steve
Old 06-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

An option a number of folks with basement air have used is to add a roof top AC unit in place of one of the Fantastic Fans. As I understand it, they fit nicely into the opening which is already there. This adds a good bit of cooling capacity.

Certainly not a job for just any DIYer but it can be done by a shop or someone with a bit of electrical knowledge.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #21

The OP does not mention if his A/C units are 13,5 or 15,000 btu.
Purchase some aluminum foil insulation for your windows and it will help greatly. Make sure your return duct filters are clean.
Hope you have a AGS for your generator for the doggies should the RV park have a black out.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:11 PM   #22

We have insulated ALL of our cabinets that are on our outside walls and overhead cabinets with the silver bubble wrap insulation from Lowes. This has made a huge difference in heat and cooling our coach. The stuff is light, cheap, easy to install and takes no space at all. If you open a cabinet and it is hot.........there's a big part of the problem!
We were at a rally last year with temps at 105 every day and the coolest it got at night was 99! We were on 30amp service in a 42ft coach. Our windows are also "insulated" with Ceramic Tinting which is not dark. We were very comfortable but most were not, our friends could not beleive the difference in ours compared to theirs. Same brand of mh.