Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2021, 10:54 AM   #15

Ford just spent a ton to upgrade their new RV chassis. They developed a large and powerful V8 to replace the super popular V-10, as the V-10 could no longer pass the latest emissions. They upgraded their suspensions to make them ride better, handle better and carry more weight.

Sprinter chassis is in very limited availability and pricey due to diesel plus DEF systems. Hard to find places that work on them and long waiting lines to even get issues looked at.

GM used to have a following, but they also are volume production constrainted.
Unclepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2021, 11:15 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

GM (Chevy) sold their class A and step-van chassis to Workhorse around 1998, but Workhorse fell victim to the double-whammy of GM taking the 8.1L gas V8 out of production followed by the 2008 recession. Without access to a viable large gas engine, Workhorse didn't have a prayer of recovery. And without a bigger market than gas-chassis Class A coaches, nobody can afford to design and build a modern gas engine.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Some manufacturers build Class C's on the GM cab and chassis up to about 30' overall length. Anything longer would most likely be on a Ford. I read (no idea if its true or not) that GM has a limit on how long their wheelbase can be stretched. I don't believe Mercedes allows their chassis to be modified at all.

As for Ford they make their E 350 on 138", 158" and 176" wheelbases while their E450s are on 158" and 176" wheelbases. Any other wheelbase on a Ford product were altered by someone ocher than Ford.
I camped next to a Class C on a 550 chassis last year. I think it had a 6.7 diesel and I asked him how it handled and he said "just fine"
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:05 PM   #18

R and D is expensive.. Even Cat pulled out of the Over the road and Rv market rather then try and deal with the New Emission Crap.....
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I camped next to a Class C on a 550 chassis last year. I think it had a 6.7 diesel and I asked him how it handled and he said "just fine"
So, are you saying the 550 chassis was a Ford?
The number by itself doesn’t designate the brand, but Ford does make a complete series of pickups....F150, F250, F350, F450, F550, F650 and even a F750.
I believe the biggest ones are special order.....not certain though.
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
The number by itself doesn’t designate the brand, but Ford does make a complete series of pickups....F150, F250, F350, F450, F550, F650 and even a F750.
I'm only saying I saw 550 on the side emblem - in my mind that is a Ford chassis because I've seen all kinds of heavy duty shells on the 550 chassis.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Thor makes OMNI & Magnitude Super C on a Ford 550
Word on the street is that the 650 will be offered soon as a Super C chassis as well
Old 06-10-2021, 09:26 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
Maybe they just have the best product.

Fiat/Chrysler has been chasing quality for many years. I think they are starting to catch up, but Consumer Reports still rates them as #3 in a 3 person race.

GM sold their soul to the federal government when they were bailed out. I think they would get a lot of flack of they made a lot of gas guzzlers.

MB could step in, since they are very active with the sprinters. We drove a MB turbo diesel class C many years ago, in New Zealand. Drove well & got good gas mileage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclepaul View Post
Ford just spent a ton to upgrade their new RV chassis. They developed a large and powerful V8 to replace the super popular V-10, as the V-10 could no longer pass the latest emissions. They upgraded their suspensions to make them ride better, handle better and carry more weight.

Sprinter chassis is in very limited availability and pricey due to diesel plus DEF systems. Hard to find places that work on them and long waiting lines to even get issues looked at.

GM used to have a following, but they also are volume production constrainted.
Ford went all out on their upgraded V-8 project, go get yourself and 8.1 GM V-8 and sit in on the bench next to the new Ford V-8 and pull them both down and tell me what you see.

Those MB sprinters are the best running and driving diesels you will ever operate right up until the point you have an issue with one. Then you call looking for help and all you get for the service people is "Bring it in, we'll be glad to take a look at it for you", nothing else. That is IF you can find a dealer that has service techs trained to work on Sprinter vans and will look at your RV. It's GIANT Pain in the neck. Been there, done that, bought the T shirt and burned it.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 02:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Love our Ford E450 V10 and chassis. 103,000 miles and still going strong!
Our 2006 F53 has nearly the exact same mileage, and it's been extremely reliable. We have had it for eight years and over 70K . In that time it needed three minor repairs to the actual Ford parts of the rig.
Slate Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
Not quite true. The F-53 is available in 138", 158", 168", 176", 178", 190", 208", 228", 242", & 252" wheelbases.
You’re talking different chassis. The E350 and E450 are not the same as the F53.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:34 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
The 8.1 496 ci is better then the ford v10 but thw w24 chassie is out classed by ford.
new shocks steering stabilizer front & rear trac bars & front & rear anti sway bars are needed to give the ride of the ford.
At least that was i needed to do. Extra leafs added to my leave packs so it is more of a w26 then w24
robertkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:40 PM   #26

Ford for Motorhomes

The reason Ford has cornered the RV market is because GM and Chrysler, Bottom line. SUCK
Tpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:52 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ford Advantage

Let's face facts. The coach portion of a Class A is unique to the builder. The major interior components are supplied by a few RV supply builders like Dometic, Progressive, etc. Essentially the same. BUT the chassis...Ford had the advantage over Workhorse, GM, and to an extent Dodge. Initially ONLY Ford and Dodge used converted heavy duty truck chassis as their base, and their inhouse components as the sole source for the chassis. Ford still does. GM "P and W" chassis' were mostly a hybrid of Chevy/GM engines and Allision/Chevy/GM transmissions; most of the suspension components were Delco since GM did not have a pure heavy duty truck chassis to convert. Workhorse was always a hodge-podge cobbled together chassis - engine from one vendor Dodge/Chevy, transmission from another, rear end from Ford or Dodge with associated brake package then the front brakes could be Borsch, Dodge, Ford, or Delco. Workhorse chassis was a nightmare for parts replacement. For a DYI guy you didn't know what you had until going to someplace like NAPA. Ford parts are still available for the older 390ci chassis units. SOLE SOURCING PREVAILED.
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:39 PM   #28

Back in 09 I was RV shopping, narrowed it down to fleetwoods 38P floor plan. Drove a Ford pace arrow 38P and a workhorse 38P Bounder

I went home with the Bounder, I was very surprised with how much better the workhorse chassis behaved. Dealing with semi’s, uneven roads, wind and the just goes in… the workhorse was way ahead. The 6spd Allison is as a added bonus which I know Ford has since gone to a 6speed trans
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, gas, motor