Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2020, 06:23 AM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our 1st rig, more than 20 years ago, was a 15 year old Class A. I was still active duty Navy, but preparing for retirement. I was planning to finance through my credit union, but In-Laws insisted that they loan us the $$ at the same interest they were earning from a CD. After a few road trips and a few months of full timing, we bough a sticks and bricks house. Since we were still employable, we were not using the RV and sold it (at a loss).

When looking at my 2nd retirement date, I started shopping for an RV again! One November, my parents brought their RV from Las Vegas to Missouri so I could replace their awnings. My cost was about $1200 less than CW quoted! Their plan was to return in April to reclaim their RV and visit for a few days. Dad told me to use the RV all I wanted, and if I liked it he would sell it to me.
Although I didn't really want to buy "my Mother's house", I liked the rig and the deal was great! It was 9 years old at the time, but at about $8K below FMV with an interest free loan! I had the cash, but "interest free" sounded pretty good! Although there was only a handshake agreement, I set up an automatic payment of $1K per month until it was paid. After the last payment, we flew to LV for a visit (and my birthday). Mom gave me a birthday card with a $1K refund and a note thanking me for paying off the loan! Apparently, I am the only child who ever did that!
Over the years, we have personalized the RV so it isn't my mothers anymore! We have used it on a few long trips and some short ones, but now it is our "home away from home" until our new home is built! Hopefully within the next 6 months we can travel again!
covered.wago is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2020, 06:40 AM   #72

First RV was a '70 VW camper I bought in college, it was my first vehicle, and I bought it from a dealer for $2,500. Drove it all over the US and Europe, finally let it go after 22 years.

Second RV was a '90 LaSalle Class A that I bought in 2010 at auction for $5,000 cash. It had 45K miles when I bought it and it has 50K plus now. Plan to keep it until I can no longer RV.
bhall74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:03 AM   #73

Monaco Owners Club
Our first coach we bought from a small family dealership, Emerald Coast RV in Crystal River, FL (cannot overstate our satisfaction with them), financed it with our credit union for three years (it was a relatively inexpensive purchase), paid it off last month. Bought our second from a significant dealership for cash with a Covid-19 liquidation pretty darned good discount.

In the distant past I sold new and used cars. Particularly with new, it was common for the finance office to make more money for the dealership on a purchase than the sales department. Dealership-arranged financing will always open with the highest interest rate from the lenders with the biggest commissions. In my opinion, dealer-brokered financing is never a good option unless it's the only one. After our recent experience buying a used DP, the same may apply to dealer-brokered extended warranties.
Urban Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 03:07 PM   #74

Bought used and financed. Did not have the cash at the time. It is now a life style for us on the road.
franklin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:46 PM   #75

Bought used for cash

4 years ago, bought a 12-yer-old MH through a mid-to-large dealer who was selling on consignment. Paid approx 9% of a new one of that make, model, and size. We bought it with the intention of going FT, which we did and have been. We used other available cash, not using receipts from selling our S&B. We would not finance it, so going used but being very selective was our best (only) option.'4 years later, still very happy with our decision.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:51 PM   #76

Consignment dealer. It's a small place right along the freeway and we always look over at the lot when we go buy because we've seen Safaris there before and that's the brand we always thought we'd like. We've stopped in the past for walk through of some rigs, and when we saw this Safari there, we stopped for a look, and decided to buy.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:48 AM   #77

Cant bear to take the first hit of depreciation

The last vehicle I bought new was a 2000 Avalon, was actually I smart purchase because of the cars reliability. My Modus Operendi is when I am inclined to want to change vehicles (RV’s included) is to first divest myself of the outgoing ride if that’s needed. Then I take my time and decide exactly what the new ride should be about. I narrow it down by quality of manufacture and quality of unit desired. From that short list I do the diligence of the various options and make contacts, based on ownership history and maintenance I narrow it down to 2-3 examples, the closer to home the better but I will travel cross country for the right machine. There are two important criteria I set before I talk to anyone, I set my high and low limit and stay within those numbers and I always offer cash, or gold or whatever barter might work. One year I traded a custom 65 mustang resto mod that was really sweet to an owner in partial for a American Eagle plus cash, everyone was happy and we avoided pretty much sales tax on the vehicle swap.
stuccosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:09 AM   #78

Newmar Owners Club
Purchased my first RV last December from NIRVC in Lawrenceville, GA. I was looking for a ‘new used’ Entegra Anthem or Newmar DS so someone else could work out the issues and take the 30% depreciation hit. I feel that I got very lucky and found a 2019 Newmar 4369 DS with only 9K miles. I was able to talk to the previous owner before buying her and it was meticulously cared for with some nice custom upgrades. I put half down in cash and financed the other half. I will be using the earnings from the invested equity from house sale to pay the monthly payment. I will probably keep her for 4-5 years before trading her in for another new used coach. I will have no problem getting back the cash I put down and maybe even a bit of the loan amount. Anyway there is a cost to living this wonderful lifestyle which I am happy to pay extra for. We were supposed to start our full time journey May 2, but will now be heading out June 2. Obviously we cannot wait, COVID BE DAMNED.
Sugaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:25 AM   #79

Monaco Owners Club
Used. Repo. Consignment. Listed at $98,900, I offered $52,000 out the door as is, and 3 days later they took it, they did not even counter. I bought this 2006 40' DP in September of 2014 with 15,531 miles on it, the bank was going into their second winter with this repo on their books, and they needed it gone. Rig was dirty and neglected, but not abused or damaged. Needed new tires, all new fluids and the slide out awnings replaced. And some serious cleaning. Amazingly, it had everything I wanted in a big DP, including the mid entry door and side opening compartments, but no AquaHot -- oh well. Over 5 years and 25,000 miles later, she's still a gem and I'm still happy.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:32 PM   #80

Recently bought our 4th RV. All used from private owners. Cash
Geezer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:56 PM   #81

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm a Woman of 55. Never stepped a foot inside an RV till I started looking to buy. Mom 85 and getting older, needs me to be around. So I bought a Class A to live on her property. I looked on CList & RV dealerships. Finally found one "in my own backyard", 30 miles away. 2002 Bounder, 33ft, 2 slides, 78hrs on Genny & 43,000 miles. Everything worked!, Good tires and nice rich mahogany cabinets. They wanted $26,900 for her but they knew I was financing and came down to BBook of $24,000 (since that's only the amount a financier will give). So $4000. down and 8% int on loan. payments are $300. a month. Took 600 miles into the mountains camping and she did great! But the fridge did go out 4months later and cant be fixed because they are "closed" systems Dometic, so that will be $1500.00. I had a 30AMP plug in installed on the outside of Moms house so I used that all winter. I ordered 100lb bottle of propane 7 times from Oct 2019 to current. ($101.00 each)
I spent the Colorado winter in it and survived. Slides in, and cover on till a couple weeks ago. Furnace was amazing but I used a small heater too. All worked out pretty darn well. I work full time so didn't need heat all day.... Glory to GOD!!!
Old 05-20-2020, 01:26 PM   #82

Paid cash. Class A & toad

Worked out of and traveled with wife and kids on occasions in a tag along 27’trailer. Kids gone now. DW wanted 5th wheel. (She’s looking at $60,000 plus used). So from years of traveling with her every time we’d pass a rest area she was fine. Then two minutes later she’s got to go now. Well.... I’m thinking M/H. Toilet without stopping. Excellent choice. She loves the ride and comfort of the copilot seat.
Paid cash for a 2000 40’ Monaco Dynasty DP with ‘04 Jeep Liberty ready to go. Couldn’t beat the price. Three years later I’m putting on new Toyo tires now. Upgraded tv’s and put a 120volt compressor in the Norcold box. Ordered it from JC Refrgeration in Indiana. ( ice cream is hard now).
Coach parking and set up is sooo much easier than a 5th wheel also. We love this luxury apartment on wheels. Hitting the road again when states get their act together.
FastHobie16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer