Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2012, 10:35 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry J View Post
I would sign up for a driving school before you get too many bad habits. We took the RV Driving School which was 2 days for the both of us in our motorhome, one on one. I think both of you should take this or a similar training and it would be preferred if all class A owners took such a class.
I strongly second this advise. We contacted RV Driving School soon after purchasing our 40 foot RV and found the training to be extremely informative. The two days of training was more then worth the cost. My DW was very nervous of driving our RV before the training by the end of the class she was a much better driver then me. Which really did not take much as I was as nervous as she was, she just paid more attention to Steve's instruction better then I did.

We learned a lot about safety both before you start out and on the highway. I cannot say enough about how beneficial our lesson where before we set out on any trips. RV Driving School has instructors all across the country my recommendation is that you arrange for their training before you drive back to California.
CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #30
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Elen! Congrats on the new rig! Don't worry, you'll be comfortable driving it in no time! We went from a 5er to our 40' MH a few months ago and that thing scared me to death at first! Now I'm just as comfortable driving it as I was with the 5er. Just take it slow and easy, don't let other traffic push you to drive faster than you are comfortable with, and you'll be OK! Good luck, stay safe, and God bless!

Keep it between the ditches!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Kay View Post
5 Minutes in a Walmart parking lot and then hit the freeway and the first 5 mins take it slow after that you'' cruise 70 like the rest! Good luck and happy travels.

Terrible advice!!!

Skill gained thru practice and informed instruction beats "good luck" every day.

J
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:42 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
One thing I was taught was to keep my right foot on the crown of the road, easily seen(except on new pavement) by the oil trail. It's not readily noticeable when driving a lower vehicle but stands out easily when driving a Tractor trailer or class a. And the tape marker on the windshield idea is awesome.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:04 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Everyone can relax. We are having the RV delivered to us. We will take some driving lessons from the RV driving school, and THEN we will hit the road.
Thanks to everyone for their good advice and concern.
Elencas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That is good to hear. We hope to see you out on the roads of this great country.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elencas View Post
Everyone can relax. We are having the RV delivered to us. We will take some driving lessons from the RV driving school, and THEN we will hit the road.
Thanks to everyone for their good advice and concern.
Good plan, Elen. Congrats on the new rig and see you out there!
Old 11-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #36

Elencas, Congratulations of the new Monaco! Many, many happy and safe miles. I'm sure from the first trip out you'll love every bit of RV'ing. I hope you did not get scared with driving it by some of the posts. Between the driving school, patience and practical sense you'll be offering advice to the next newbie asking "how do I drive a 40ft. RV".
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
driver training

As mentioned in another reply....I would recommend Lazydays in Sefner, Fl. right off of I 4 east of I 75 I think its exit 10...they have scheduled day courses there for motor home driving plus other safety courses...and again as mentioned, they have a very nice campground there with pool, restaurant, etc...if you stay at the campground, you can usually go to the main restaurant in their very large facility and get free breakfast and lunch...you have to take what they are serving that day but usually its pretty good...

The restaurant is kinda different, its as if your inside a hugh motor home...

www.lazydays.com I think is the web site and you should be able to get the schedule for driving...I think they have it once a week at least...

Kchad...
kchadw1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elencas View Post
Looks like we will be flying to Florida to pick up our 2006 Monaco Diplomat, and driving it home to California. My husband wants me to share the driving. Yikes, that is one big vehicle. Any advice, besides slow and easy?
Thanks
Elen
If at all possible, swing through Miami on US-1 during rush hour. Those three 11 foot lanes will give you plenty of practice staying in your lane. Mistakenly missed the freeway on-ramp coming up from the keys my first year towing the Jeep and ended up clipping mirrors with a produce truck, with no place to get out of the center lane for a mile. Still got the marks to prove it.

But seriously, you will find that if you look ahead to the point your eyes will be passing in a few seconds (about 3-4 feet in from the striped line), you will do fine. That is how you drive your car and once you get a few hours under your belt, it is the same for your MH. And if you are on a busy 3 lane, you are better off in the center lane than constantly trying to get out of the way of merging on-ramp traffic. Once you get in the country, move back to the right lane. And don't make the mistake of looking to the right as you pass an 18 wheeler, or you will swerve out of your lane.

That being said, I do 99.9% of the driving, my wife just drove enough the first year to know she could do it in an emergency. She would rather knit and I would rather drive.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you've never driven a large vehicle before, I would recommend a formal driving course offered by a professional organization. Class room is not enough, you need to be behind the wheel also. The Escapees offer an RV driving course with certified instructors, not sure of the cost, but the several people I have talked to who have taken the course said it has make driving easier and (more importantly) more fun for them. I think Good Sam also offers a driving course.
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #40

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Before you get behind the wheel , find out if your state laws require an air brake endorcement. Driving with out one could void your insurance
I don't know of any state that requires and air brake endorsement on a privately owned/driven RV in the US.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #41

RV101

WoodGlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #42

National RV Owners Club
When we got our 36' Dolphin M.H. it wasen't verry long after I got used to driving it myself that I took her and it over to a large parking lot (on a Sunday afternoon) the place was closed on Sundays so my wife had all the space in the world to learn to drive it.
I had her park it next to the curb and how to back it up to a curb and drive it around the parking stalls that were in the center of the parking lot and after a few week ends doing this I had her drive it on the Freeway from one on ramp to a off ramp which was about 2to 3 miles down the road.
I must say that she can handle the M.H. with a toe car a lot better then I can.
Now when we travel we take turns driving when we get to a R.V.park if I am driving after we stop and disconnect the car she will drive the M.H. to where we will park it all I do is guide her when she parks it.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote