Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2021, 08:11 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
How Do You Answer This Question?

When booking a site on-line or over the phone I'm often asked the length of your "unit". I always give the length of the coach even though I flat tow a TOAD and began wondering if I should be answering the total length of the coach and the TOAD. If they are using the info to select a site for me then wouldn't it be accurate to give total length or since I can disconnect the TOAD is coach length the only thing that matters? How do you answer this question?
OldracerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2021, 08:15 AM   #2

I would just tell them the coach length, “plus a toad” since the toad tends to track behind the coach and can make any turns in the same path that the coach makes. Plus it can be detached.
MrMark52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:19 AM   #3

Don't tell them more than they want to know. kiss.. I don't mean smooch.
mickeybitsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:31 AM   #4

We always give just the coach length since most sites have a maximum length that can be accommodated based on the coach. The assumption is you can disconnect the toad before entering the site if needed.
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:31 AM   #5

Some Reservation Applications, like KOA, allow you to select Motorhome Towing. In that case put in coach length.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:36 AM   #6

Coach length.

It is used to determine the space size of the site and, in some cases, the ability to navigate the roads of the campground. As mentioned, the navigation part, if ever a consideration, can be mitigated by the fact the toad articulates and that it can be disconnected, if necessary.

Unless the campground specifically asks for the length including toad, only the length of the coach is expected.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:18 AM   #7

We just booked a site online that didn't let us put in that we had a toad and the only site we could get asked twice if our m/h was over 40' which is what that site was being saved for. Ours is only 35' but with the toad we are around 50' so I said yes to being over 40'. They have drove by a few times since we have been here and never said anything.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldracerJim View Post
When booking a site on-line or over the phone I'm often asked the length of your "unit". I always give the length of the coach even though I flat tow a TOAD and began wondering if I should be answering the total length of the coach and the TOAD. If they are using the info to select a site for me then wouldn't it be accurate to give total length or since I can disconnect the TOAD is coach length the only thing that matters? How do you answer this question?
The answer I give depends on the RV park. Some use the coach length to select your site. If I am towing a trailer, I give the overall length. If with a toad, I give coach length plus a toad. For a state park I'll just say 40' coach. Mine is 44' long, but some won't accept online reservations over 40'. Utah State Park in southern Utah Has 110' paved sites with full 50 amp hookups, but won't accept anything over 40' online. It's one of the best parks of any kind we have been in.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:05 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
If a web site has specific instructions, I follow 'em. Some do, most don't. For parks without web sites I just make sure to explain the details to the person who takes my call.

Otherwise, for online reservations, it depends on what I'm booking.

If I'm reserving a pull-thru for an overnight I always give coach + toad length and mention that the number includes the toad in the comments section, although most park operators will accurately guess that I'm towing when the length I give is 55 feet. It's no fun to pull into an overnight stop and find you have to unhook because they gave you a too-short pull-through.

For anyplace where I expect to unhook I'll give 'em the actual coach length (34'), and again put the toad details in the comments section.

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:28 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Just give the coach length!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:05 AM   #11

We just tell them what we need. If we're just overnighting and not unhooking the car we'd obviously need a longer pull through. If we're unhooking the car, then we can use whatever we can get the coach in.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:09 PM   #12

We found that parks go by the 'RV' length.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:29 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Unless I'm booking a pull-through site, I just gave coach length. If there is a way to indicate, I also say "plus toad" or "towing". My reason is that many sites have a place for a tow vehicle or toad separate from the prepared site pad, e.g. along side or along the road or in a separate parking area for that purpose. If you are familiar with the park layout, you can anticipate but if you don't know, stick to the bare facts.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:14 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Just the length of the coach.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote