Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #15

I use a variety of methods. For when there has been a mishap such as a pot of chilli going over there is not much choice but to use a wet method with an emulsifier. I have a Little Green Machine for spot cleaning but use an attachement for my Clarke Commercial wet vac for major cleanings or rent a Rug Doctor machine. Inbetween I have been trying the Resolve Foam cleaner with the long handled applicator brush to keep it from getting too bad. I also have a VonSchader dry foam extractor machine but that would be like trying to manuver a 57 Buick around inside the rig.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman
Stanley Steemer is the only way I'd go. Uses no soap and only dampens the carpet. Any of those other cleaners put soap into the carpet which will attract more dirt. The "dry" type cleaners put granules in the carpet which causes it to wear out faster.
Just do not use stream on cut loop, as it can cause the fibers to unravel.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Standard house carpet cleaner and "RESOLVE" cleaner. We also NEVER wear shoes in the MH. I even have house slippers just for driving only.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #18

I have a Bissell ProHeat 2X and it says to use clean hot tap water and to not boil or microwave the water as it can destroy the bladder. Is the water from a MH water heater too hot?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Bissell Little Green Portable Deep Cleaner

Works well for us We have also used on our chairs, our fold-out couch and the seats in out toad. Nice result everywhere.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #20

My Bissell has the upholstery attachment. I brought my dinette cushions inside the house and cleaned them there.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #21

The full temp water didn't hurt my Bissell bladder and it cleaned better than the dealer did after they replaced my motor.

I put full strength Totally Awesome in my solution reservoir. I don't know if there is a dilution, but it didn't hurt my carpet. I have some stand alone fans on it now.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Ok, folks, heres' the skinny on carpet: When, not IF- you spill, liquid, semi liquid on your carpet, it migrates to the backing. If the spill is more fluent- like water, it will penetrate the carpet backing. So- if you have all good intentions to clean your carpet- then most you can achieve is a topical cleaning. The big boys that have all the toys for cleaning carpet with their either steam, chemicals, etc- cannot as that would be physically impossible, to remove what has penetrated the backing of the carpet and now is imbedded in the padding. What happens is this: the stain- or whatever has spilled has a natural tendency to wick back up thru the fibres of the carpet and with walking on the carpet with the dirt from your shoes- or worse- natural oils from you feet- if barefoot- results in- you guessed it- another visit from your friendly carpet cleaning pros. Sounds like job security to me. Ernie- 41 years in the flooring business.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #23
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
Bissell Little Green Portable Deep Cleaner

Works well for us We have also used on our chairs, our fold-out couch and the seats in out toad. Nice result everywhere.

Ah! Great minds think alike, eh?

It's the Little Green Machine for us also. US? I mean me. I'm the one that gets to do the shampooing. Since I have bad knees (one replaced) I have to lay down on the job. Now consider this. I'm in the bedroom, the machine is running, so for all purposes and intents I'm moving the applicator/vacuum back and forth. Yeah! Right! Eventually I get it clean, but there may be a nap or three in there.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #24
bjo

Talking about all this carpet cleaning I have a question not about cleaning the carpet but I've had trouble with our carpet color fading in different places, our moter home is a 04 were 2nd owner I clean the carpet with my bissle and it turn out good, on another note we use to have a 5th wheel our carpet did the same thing we called the manufactor and they did replace the carpet in 5er, but to me the carpet didnt seem as good. I no
my carpet is clean I just cant stand the fading.. anyone have this problem
also when no in use it's under a shed .
thanks
BJ
bjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Folks- the manufacturers of large production rvs- have never used upgrade carpet. Why- the bottom line- they use stuff that has a cushy feel- like 4 pound density pad that maybe 1/2 to 3/4 in thickness-- ooo' that feels so good- to cheap carpet- that looks good and sells the product. If you buy cheap- then you get what they provide- cheap.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #26

When I moved into my second house in 1976, I sat a plastic bag that had a bottle of gear oil in it on my family room carpet. Of course, it had to leak. I cleaned it every time it came back and it still took years of careful cleaning to get it all out.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use the carpet cleaner attachment on our Rainbow vacuum. Does a great job.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #28

Send a message via Yahoo to Tired-old
Our used 2001 was a mess where the carpets were concerned. First owner had not removed the plastic covering the carpet from the factory. Bought a Bissel with heated water. Took two cleanings but boy did it work. Now my wife wants me to do the carpet in the house!