Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2022, 12:22 AM   #1

How do you handle loud, rude people at night?

During my first year of RV'ing, on my Alaskan trip I have observed that for the most part, CG peeps are the most respectful, nicest people I have ever met. A great community. But occasionally you have one group that ruins it. They are usually the drunks that sit outside until 3am laughing and talking at 120 db's.
Anyway...how do you guys handle this. Sone parks I stay in don't have camppost.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2022, 04:44 AM   #2

In todays world, you are best to just ignore it. Confrontation has too big a chance to escalate. Just move on in the morning, loudly.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:59 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
For me, campground management if available. If not, earplugs - seriously. In recent years we've begun to snore more, and a good pair of earplugs can block a surprising amount of noise beyond sawing logs.

Our rig has two roof A/Cs, one directly over our bed. I like being cool, but it is ridiculously noisy to sleep with. Earplugs are the bomb.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:19 AM   #4

DW & I have found that the AC on fan 'always on' can provide 'white noise' to cover outside noise. We have a single unit in a 29 ft vehicle, and the AC is in the front half. If it's in cooling mode, the increase noise is not bad. With 2 AC's I would run one to cool and the other for 'cover.'

I haven't had anyone carrying on past 10pm, that I recall. I would bring the issue to CG management.
It's very difficult to take a complaint to such a group w/out setting someone off.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:31 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've found that if you lay low, don't say anything and hunker down in fear of retaliation the net result is you and likely others get no sleep while they whoop it up. My take on it now is to walk quietly up to wherever the party is and yell "Hey! knock it off! Shut the hell up, it's past your bedtime!" Then turn around and walk away. It may raise the ire of a couple and you'll get insults or threats but there will be one or more this sinks in and it ends up being a buzz killer. If they want to risk a trip to the pokey by beating up on some old guy in a campground at 2AM then I am happy to oblige. So far the net result is the old guy gets some sleep. Next morning I have a chat with the camp host and there's never a 2nd night.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Old 08-10-2022, 06:48 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pray for rain.
Old 08-10-2022, 07:07 AM   #7

DW and I have been rolling for 6 years and neither of us can remember an occurrence of that nature. My response would be to ignore them and then speak with them in the morning. We have noticed people being less considerate in the mornings than the late night party. The get underway early crowd that doesn't know how to close bay doors quietly or idle their work truck for 20 minutes. Now those people are a dime a dozen! It's all part of lifestyle. Very diverse crowd.
Old 08-10-2022, 07:57 AM   #8

If it's drunks then leave it until the morning. My mother always told me nothing good happens after midnight. So don't go picking fights.
Then just talk to them in the morning if no camp ground staff is on site. You can't reason with a drunk.

I have only needed to turn the ac fan on once for extra noise for this reason.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:21 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
During my first year of RV'ing, on my Alaskan trip I have observed that for the most part, CG peeps are the most respectful, nicest people I have ever met. A great community. But occasionally you have one group that ruins it. They are usually the drunks that sit outside until 3am laughing and talking at 120 db's.
Anyway...how do you guys handle this. Sone parks I stay in don't have camppost.

We think we all have a common understanding of the world and how to act in it, but we don't. Those people don't see anything wrong with what they're doing and their opinion is just as valid as any of ours. Confronting them about it is an extraordinarily bad idea, especially in the moment as others have said. You have no way of knowing what's going on with them or what their reaction might be. Complain to the campground staff if it makes you feel better, but it won't change the next crowd at the next place you stay.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:35 AM   #10

We always sleep with a fan on for white noise and comfort. I like the ideas of running the AC fan to cover the crowd noise.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:38 AM   #11

Ask the camp host /' manager to intervene.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:38 AM   #12

At any governmental park like state or county park you may be able to contact a ranger or sheriff.

Confrontations can escalate. I've always believe in diplomacy, leave it where no one can throw a stone at you in regards to your interaction. If you do approach them let them be the bad guy and perhaps they will meet you at your diplomacy.

Had tenters one night at Ft. Desoto up all night with music. Called sheriff and resolved it quickly. They moved on the next day.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:05 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
I've found that if you lay low, don't say anything and hunker down in fear of retaliation the net result is you and likely others get no sleep while they whoop it up. My take on it now is to walk quietly up to wherever the party is and yell "Hey! knock it off! Shut the hell up, it's past your bedtime!" Then turn around and walk away. It may raise the ire of a couple and you'll get insults or threats but there will be one or more this sinks in and it ends up being a buzz killer. If they want to risk a trip to the pokey by beating up on some old guy in a campground at 2AM then I am happy to oblige. So far the net result is the old guy gets some sleep. Next morning I have a chat with the camp host and there's never a 2nd night.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

You had me at "Hey! knock it off! Shut the hell up"
Old 08-10-2022, 10:20 AM   #14
tcg

It doesn't happen too often but if it's the weekend, everyone wants to get away and enjoy themselves so I just ignore it until around midnight.

And then a simple visit to their site with a "hey guys, it's after midnight could you dial it back a bit?"

Almost every time, they apologize and do their best to keep it quiet, an occasional outburst of laughter is not a big deal.

Polite requests usually do the trick. We occasionally have visitors after dark, we sit around the fire until after midnight sometimes. Once in a while we don't realize what time it is and that our voices are carrying and a fellow camper will do what I do and just politely remind us of the hour.

On a side note, we once had a problem with neighbors near our home constantly lighting off fireworks. No amount of polite asking helped. What did help was a brick of firecrackers as I was leaving for work at 5am. They got the message.
Closed Thread