Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2015, 01:59 AM   #1

How do you secure a golf cart?

How do you secure a golf cart at your campsite when you are gone in the toad?

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2015, 02:29 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Install a hidden kill switch and lock it to the coach.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:55 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Kathryn,
RV Wizard's post provides the ultimate solution. For me, it all depends on how secure one needs to make the golf car. Are you securing the golf car from amateurs or professionals. Joy riders or those wanting to abscond with the golf car? For me, putting the golf car in "tow mode" and fastening the seat so the switch can not be returned to operational mode might be enough. A bit more protection is using several cable locks (for bicycles) one could physically lock the golf car to the coach wheels or some other coach component.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:58 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The ultimate security is friends keeping eyes on things.

But a chain lock to the RV is a good 2nd choice (or cable lock, cable is harder to cut) either can be cut with a cutter though.

And a "kill switch" is a good idea too.

I like the Batmobile security system,, When activated the bad guy (Joker I think) pressed the START button and what happened is a lot like what happens in many communities long about July 4 around sunset,, (Fireworks display). Now fireworks not good, but sound effects kind of useful.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
One of my friends had the same issue, he figured if they wanted to steal it, they would but to deter the joyriders, he just put a quick release on the steering wheel off the cart and installed an inline fuse on one of the power wires.

So when he leaves the cart unattended, he pulls off the steering wheel and pulls out the fuse and it's secure.

He actually saw some kids get on it, see that there was no steering wheel and promptly got off it and went on their way. Not sure if they hit the accelerator pedal or not but regardless, it wouldn't move without the fuse installed.
Rrzasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:21 PM   #6

Many options.

I like the removable steering wheel.

Here are a few off the cuff ideas.

Get a continous duty selenoid like what is used for chasis batteries and 12 volt coil is fine.

Connect it between any of the existing batteries or at ground or hot connection.

Wire hot to 12 volt point and add a key switch to ground other side and place key switch out of the way.

Next is get a lifting eye bolt and sone heavy chain or wire rope.

Add the lifting eye to the frame someplace and double nut it or punch threads to lock it.

Also add same to spot on mh where you park the gc.

Plug into charger and connect chain...not going anywhere.

Get some outdoor phone cable and add alarm to mh that loops through 2 of the 4 or loops to chasis ground and place connection on gc so you plug it in then alarm is set ( when you turn it on).

If someone unplugs charger or cuts wire loop is lost and alarm goes off.

Last is park brake...

You may be able to make or add a lock to the parking brake, put brake on then lock it and she goes nowhere.

Could be real easy like drilling a hole and placing a long shackle lock or difficult requiring some building of linkages but tgat still should not be too much work...me thinks that may be option on some or someone already has figured out how to make a buck by making them.

There are a few ideas to stew...
Old 02-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a Cricket. I collapse/fold the steering column to the side with wheels turned and cable w/pad lock it to the frame bracket when away from the campground. This only permits the cart to be pushed in a circle if disengaged.
When in the campground, I cable it to the picnic table or pole of bbq.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:43 PM   #8

Put a gps tracker in it, when it goes missing you get some buddies together with their Louisville Sluggers and use your smart phone to find it and then adjust the ..................
Old 02-02-2015, 05:47 PM   #9

How do you secure a golf cart?

There is no way I'd drag a golf cart around if I couldn't leave it in a place where I felt it was safe. I don't want to camp where you guys go..... Heck, I dont even lock bikes up.

+1Mentor - We used to call those blanket parties - cheaters never win
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:08 PM   #10

I normally put a chain or cable around the axle or spring and lock it to your rig or any suitable item. At our permanent site I now lock both golf carts together
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:25 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you remember the 2 piece lock bar with a hook on each end for Cars ? You hook one end to the steering wheel and the other end to the brake pedal. then you slide to 2 parts together and lock it . I still have one so I use it on my Golf Cart. I hook one end to the steering wheel and the other end to the seat bracket. the bad guys can't turn the steering wheel or lift the seat to steal the batteries as the bar prevents the seat from coming up. Works great Do not know if they still sell these.
fixintodoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:06 AM   #12

If they want it they can get it, do you carry insurance I do .Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1422968754.027995.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	85040
Old 02-04-2015, 08:24 PM   #13

Go to: www.nivelparts.com and in the search window type: cart lock and you will find the best answer.
theboss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:03 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Remove a rear wheel ?
woodfoot is offline   Reply With Quote