Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2022, 02:48 PM   #141

Willie Pete grenade, or Molotov cocktail will set anything on fire. Lacking that, for those of us (or is it just me) who are lazy, use a torch attachment for your standard Coleman small propane bottle. Campfire lit in less than a minute with no kindling. Same way I light the hickory blocks in my smoker.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2022, 08:27 PM   #142

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't start campfires. Unfortunately the smoke makes me sick, therefore I never start one.
Bangorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 02:42 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
For the real campers that aren't able to carry leaf blowers and find the need, a pocket bellows is small and handy to have.

PSKOOK 2 Pcs Pocket Portable Bellows Fire Blow Tube , Collapsible Mini Survival Gear to Blow Oxygen into Flame, Camp Fire Starter Survival Tool for Campfire, Wood Stove and Fire Pit. https://a.co/d/b6KwfJD
I have a 18" metal tube w 2x of vinyl hose. Makes a great blow tube without putting my face in the smoke. Just don't inhale!!
RickLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 03:29 PM   #144

I haven't read all of the 143 posts on this thread but this is what we do:

I have never bought firewood at a campground. We camp in rustic SPs, USFS and NPs and I have always been able to scrounge downed firewood nearby. I have an Li battery powered small Ryobi chain saw that I use to chop it up in short lengths for the fire. I have a long handled axe that splits any bigger pieces.

I rarely use the campground provided fire pit. Many are made with a circular 8" high steel pit that blocks the heat of small campfires. So I use an 18" diameter small portable pit with a mesh cover- more on that later.

I use Weber fire starter cubes and put one in the bottom of the portable pit, surround it with broken up twigs and then light it with a candle lighter. Then add progressively bigger pieces until I get up to 3-4" diameter or quartered pieces which is as big as I go. It is only the two of us and a small but nice fire works fine.

I have a fold out grill that I can use for burgers or steaks but 90% of the time I use our portable Weber propane grill for those.

We usually finish dinner at about 7:30 or so and and sit around the campfire, sometimes talking, sometime reading from our Kindle app while tending the fire. When it is time for bed I let the fire burn down a bit and push the remaining hot coals into the center and then put on the mesh cover. This is about as safe as anything.

When it is time to leave, I dump the cold ashes in the permanent fire pit so the campground staff can remove them later. I almost always leave a small stack of wood for the next camper.

This scrounging wood supply plan has almost always worked for us. The only times it doesn't is if we are camping in a more developed or non-forested campground. Then we don't use a fire.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 03:39 PM   #145

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Now and then if it’s just the 2 of us, I light up one of my Swedish Fire Logs. They burn nice for 2-3 hours. Easy to make with your chainsaw. Just cut down from the top to about 2 inches from the bottom. Be sure to use dry wood. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3453.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	372451

They light up with just a small wad of dry paper set on top in the centre.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 11:29 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I have never bought firewood at a campground. We camp in rustic SPs, USFS and NPs and I have always been able to scrounge downed firewood nearby.
Collecting firewood is forbidden in all National Parks that I have been to. That includes the least visited in the lower 48. I suspect you slightly overstated.
RickLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:04 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
Collecting firewood is forbidden in all National Parks that I have been to. That includes the least visited in the lower 48. I suspect you slightly overstated.
Well, the last NP I visited was Acadia, about three or four years ago. There was a little cul de sac filled with cut up wood that was there for the taking. I grabbed what I needed, split it up and enjoyed my free firewood.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:12 AM   #148

Get a egg carton.
Get a pile of sawdust.
Get some wax.
Fill the egg carton full of sawdust and pour the melted wax into each one.
Let it cool and you have 12 fire starters that work great
Bowtie Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campfire, fire