Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2021, 08:07 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I now use a propane fire bowl .. not always allowed but allowed more than wood fires are!!!! After volunteering at state parks with no “outside” wood regulations … and many increasing regulations about not transporting wood because of damaging insect invasions in firewood. “Burn it where you bought it” is the new saying.
I used to use a tarp in my load bay and stack wood on it to keep it contained .. The fire bowl now takes up that space , along with its propane tank.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2021, 09:00 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster73 View Post
That is a good idea, I thought about this but they are not "allowed". The rules for the state park says the fire must be contained in the provided fire ring and wood used. I say that in quotations because I see others using propane. But the idea is appealing.
I would question the park that "propane fire must be contained in the provided fire ring". From our experience even during heavy fire season, the national forest states propane is allowed and you certainly don't have to put the whole unit in a fire ring.

We once stayed in a national forest campground in New Mexico over Memorial weekend. Monday nearly everyone packed up and left. I went for a walk around the campground and about ten sites away I saw a fire going in a fire pit but also smoldering outside the pit. When I got to the site the pit fire created sparks that had jumped out of the pit onto the surrounding pine needle forest floor. It was quickly spreading. I ran to the campground host who called the fire in. Very shortly a crew arrived and those campers remaining were told to pack up and leave.

We monitored the fire as we traveled. It had devastated thousands of acres of forest and the campground was closed for the season. However, it would be a long time before the campground looked as pleasant as we remembered it.

Everyone be careful out there. When you are not sitting by the campfire douse it with water. Rangers tell us you should be able to put your hand in there then you know it out.

Another thing to be aware of if you're driving in fire country.... don't let a hitch chain drag on the roadway. That caused another serious fire. It creates sparks and when everything is dry one small spark can start a fire. . . and of course, no cigarettes out the window . . not only for fires.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:25 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
We usually carry two fires worth in a plastic Tote in one of the bays.
Ditto. I spray my firewood with bug-b-gone. Store bought firewood -- gimme a break, have you read the label? I was in West Yellowstone with my home sprayed firewood. Campground person said 'you can't burn that, only local firewood, bugs and all'. Ok, so I go to the camp store and buy a few bundles. Haul them back to my campsight in Montana. As I prepare to burn the label on the "local firewood" I read it; it's from Nebraska -- 2 STATES AWAY!! These states don't even touch. It looks like a duck, swims like a duck, quacks like a duck; it's probably a duck. And there were bugs in it, possibly local bugs, but arguably not. It certainly wasn't sprayed. How about a big hot cup of NO!

So now I read labels. I don't buy the wood, I just go up to the stack and read the labels. And the winner is -- wait for it -- Georgia!! In Arizona!! Exactly how stupid do they think we are? We have Colorado firewood in Layton Utah, it's ubiquitous here a few hundred miles from the closest Colorado tree. And huge swaths of Colorado is infected with pine beetles. That stupid I guess...
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:42 AM   #32

I spend a lot of time in a NY state park and know the mgmt fairly well. I inquired as to what they do with the out of area wood they confiscate from campers bringing it in... the answer...
Well we accumulate it and burn it when we have enough.
Welll. DUH what were the campers going to do with it?
And to make things even worse is they pile it and let it sit until they get around to burning it vs the campers that would have burned it before Sunday when leaving for the wkend stay!
I understand the intent but implementing many of these regs leaves out a lot of common sense.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:32 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I'm not cheap but I don't like seeing trash along roadsides, so I stop and pick up the milk crates. I use them to transport 20# Propane tanks around. The tanks fit perfectly and won't tip over easily.

Me too. The 30#ers will fit in them too.
Old 07-04-2021, 07:05 PM   #34

... and conveniently priced at over a dollar a log. I watch other people's fires. And while in my mind burning a log full of beetles would also kill them, apparently the rangers know something not obvious to me. Keep in mind it's not illegal to bring firewood into these areas, only to burn it. Hmmmmm.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:16 PM   #35

Rod Fosback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:53 PM   #36

Firewood transport.

I reside in n.m. i transport my wood in 1 of my storage bunks. I have yet to use any, mainly because I am too tired at the end of the day. That bumper rack is also a great way too.
Beefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:08 PM   #37

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Let's not get off on a tangent folks. The subject is "how do you transport firewood?". This discussion is not about state rules regarding it.
WHAT? State rules are RULES. Understand the law as this Down have a direct impact on how you transport your wood.

I use kiln dried oak cutoffs from.the mill, no bark, no bugs no mess and it's 'square 3x4s stack anywhere.
NeverGrowUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:17 PM   #38

Clean wood

I cut up pallets and stack it in banker boxes......Clean....no insects...easy
NOCASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:32 PM   #39

In sealed containers when I do and only clean treated wood with no infestations. You really do not want wood borer beetles getting into the foam insulation, wooden under-layment and cabinetry in your camper nor do you want to chance spreading any infestations so its in your best interest to leave the wild stuff from home behind. Treated firewood that's been sitting outside gets left behind. Not going to spend money to add more weight to the rear hitch to transport firewood instead of the bicycles or motorcycle either.

To be honest I have yet to stay in a campground that allows you to bring in your own firewood that has not be certified as treated so I rarely transport any wood products aside from a treated 2X4, etc to help with a sticky jack or when changing a tire.

Most often now I transport fuel for the fire pit in a 10 lb propane cylinder due to all the red zone wood fire bans. Use ceramic logs and not volcanic sand to keep sparks down too. It takes less space, weighs less, starts/shuts down instantly, cools faster when your done and is easier to clean too.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:44 PM   #40

Firewood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster73 View Post
I think the title says it all. I have a motorhome and I usually bring some firewood for a quick weekend. The previous owner just stacked it in one of the basement bays, and it shows.

I started using an open tote, but then I thought about bugs and moisture from rainy days.

Any ideas or thoughts of how/where to store a nights worth of firewood?
You do not transport firewood from area to area and certainly not from state to state. To much chance of spreading disease and infesting insects! Many states it’s also against the law!
LunarSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:54 AM   #41

Like TonyMac and Winemaker2, I think these various "state or federal rules on firewood" are ridiculous. Seem more meant to increase their sales or firewood sales for local merchants.

I have one smaller compartment that I stack firewood it. It can hold 2 1/2 to 3 of store bought bundles of firewood. All the ones I but are kiln-dried and I've never noticed insects in them.
Qui-Gon John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:28 AM   #42

I work construction and there is almost always a dumpster full of scrap lumber. They have to pay by weight to get rid of it so they're glad to have me take the scrap. I have been burning scrap lumber as my firewood for years. It's clean, dry, bug free, and can double as leveling blocks or pads under jacks if needed.
I have no idea if the firewood laws apply to lumber or not but I doubt it. Oak flooring scraps are particularly desirable if you can find them.

Tags
fire, motor, motorhome