Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2021, 09:52 AM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
We love a real fire but hate to smeel like smoke and the mess the wood made.
we use a Flame Genie.
https://www.amazon.com/HY-C-FG-16-Sm.../dp/B00O40ER0G

A bag of pellts$6.00 will last one to two nights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_7577.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	334785  
plaster_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2021, 09:54 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
We have given up on transporting firewood at all, even 10 miles from home. The diseases are not joke. I just pay the ridiculous prices at the campground when I need to. Most of the time we use a propane fire pit these days, just because it is too much trouble to deal with wood. That plus it seems most of the west is on fire again …
X2
aschuller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 10:21 AM   #45

I haul wood in garbage bags loaded into the back of the Jeep Wrangler. Sometimes I find local wood and haul it a short distance simply stacked without the bags.
A long while back, I carried oak wood in a basement compartment of a previous motor home. I noticed powder on the floor of the compartment. It was then that I discovered I had introduced powder post Beatles into the thin plywood and styrofoam. It was pretty hard to kill them, of which I could never see. Often firewood can be purchased from an antique or junk store local to the campground.

I don't recommend caring fire wood in the RV.
Old 07-05-2021, 10:35 AM   #46

I don't like to carry firewood either. If you want to have a fire, just purchase local wood at the campground. Especially with the fire danger the past few years, I usually don't make a fire anyway. But I was recently at a campground in San Diego where they usually go around at 10 PM to tell people to put out their fires, and I've seen them come around in the morning and clean out the pits . But at the the site I was in a month ago I did not make a fire, but there were some remnants left of a previous fire, that appeared to be out. On the third morning I was sitting out drinking coffee by the fire ring, and as the wind picked up it started smoking. It had a hotbed of embers under the ashes. I doused it good with a couple gallons of water, stirred everything and made sure it was out, but I was surprised that the rangers hadn't noticed it.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 01:58 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Let's not get off on a tangent folks. The subject is "how do you transport firewood?". This discussion is not about state rules regarding it.
I think it is a worthwhile tangent.
JaimesBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 02:45 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
I use my hauler attached to my Jeep Wrangler. Most state parks don't allow you to bring your own firewood but I don't remember but one time here in NC when a campground asked me not to bring my own firewood. I don't bring firewood to a state or federal campground.
shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:25 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
The WalMart gas station in Idaho Falls is selling firewood harvested in Senpete County Utah, 300+ miles away and across state lines. It is very convenient to buy wood wrapped in single-use plastic, but my plastic totes are 5 years old and likely have another five years in them. Again, I spray mine with bug-b-gone, I wonder if my friends in Sanpete spray their wood...the label said nothing.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:52 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer 516NG View Post
I carry what little wood I carry in a cardboard box, or a milk crate. I pick the milk crates up off the side of the road. I'm cheap.
My wife spotted an abandoned milk crate sitting on a gaurd rail this afternoon. I laughed and she looked at me funny. I told her about this thread and then she understood. Thanks for the tip.
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:47 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaster_man View Post
We love a real fire but hate to smeel like smoke and the mess the wood made.
we use a Flame Genie.
https://www.amazon.com/HY-C-FG-16-Sm.../dp/B00O40ER0G

A bag of pellts$6.00 will last one to two nights.
Hope the flame isn't that high when your camping!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:58 PM   #52

Here's a good site for all the state regulations on firewood.

https://www.dontmovefirewood.org/map/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:09 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Let's not get off on a tangent folks. The subject is "how do you transport firewood?". This discussion is not about state rules regarding it.
If someone poses a question on how to kill his wife, would you give him advice on the various methods or "go off on a tangent" and point out the legal ramifications concerning murder?
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:53 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Before the fire ban comes on I make a few "Swedish Fire Logs" and put in a lower storage compartment. They usually burn for 2 - 3 hours and are a real conversation starter.

I always have my little propane fire along also. I keep it stored in a plastic tote with the other cooking equipment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1619103730787.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	334928   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1569818225488.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	334929  

Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:20 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
Before the fire ban comes on I make a few "Swedish Fire Logs" and put in a lower storage compartment. They usually burn for 2 - 3 hours and are a real conversation starter.

I always have my little propane fire along also. I keep it stored in a plastic tote with the other cooking equipment.

I just learned something new. That is very cool. I'm going to give it a try next time I have split wood.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:23 AM   #56

We have, I guess you call it, a hitch hauler -- slides in the 2 inch receiver in the back of our jeep that we tow behind our DP. Has an elastic net with hooks on it to hold the logs down. Works great. We usually stop when traveling every couple of hours, so we double- check it then to make certain nothing has shifted or about to fall out.

Tags
fire, motor, motorhome