Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2021, 10:15 AM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I like dry wood. I store my wold in the garage in tub's. I also keep a large tub of this dry wood in the camper's basement.

Our wood in the basement will last about 2 months. We maybe make a fire once every 5-6 days unless we have guests. Then it's every evening.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2021, 10:27 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
Before the fire ban comes on I make a few "Swedish Fire Logs" and put in a lower storage compartment. They usually burn for 2 - 3 hours and are a real conversation starter.

I always have my little propane fire along also. I keep it stored in a plastic tote with the other cooking equipment.

That is very cool looking, now I have something to Google while on my lunch.
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 11:31 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Here's a good site for all the state regulations on firewood.

https://www.dontmovefirewood.org/map/
Thank you for posting that. While some may scoff at the idea of having restrictions on transporting firewood I can honestly say there is good reason for it. The Ash Borer didn't get here on it's own power. It was imported here by someone some way. Chances are they have no idea what they left behind for us larger land owners with timber stands to deal with.
If this can be prevented with a little education so other areas remain disease free, following the rules shouldn't be to much to ask of anyone.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:43 AM   #60

On a hitch tray or in the towed or on the trailer and never out of state and usually leave any leftovers for the next camper.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:23 PM   #61

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don’t carry any. I make friends and join others camp fires. In most places it is illegal to transport your own from somewhere else anyway due to emerald ash borer and I have sure seen the damage they and other bugs are doing.
Lez8ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:37 PM   #62

Due to invasive species infesting firewood--buy it locally, don't bring it from home.

You asked how to transport firewood in a motor home? In short: you don't.

You've spent more than $100k for your motorhome. $8 for a locally-purchased, pest-free, safe bundle of wood is cheap protection for the forest & campgrounds you love.

Do yourself and everyone else a favor and buy your firewood locally, at the campground, or at nearby road-side stands, or convenience stores.

And all those invasive species will be stuck, not spreading around the nation.
DuluthFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 01:31 PM   #63

On our ExpeditionVehicle, we forage down-wood from along the rough logger tracks to our favorite mountain lakes.
We stack it between the grill protection and the pedestrian-encouragement-device (aka 'brush-guard').
I fabricated these with camp-wood collection in mind.
Winters on isolated Baja beaches, we occasionally forage drift-wood, but leaving it for the locals is probably a 'good-neighbor' policy.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 02:42 PM   #64

I am a full time resident volunteer in Florida state parks. You are not permitted to bring your own firewood into Florida state parks.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:27 AM   #65

Well this past weekend I took alot of the advise to buy wood at the state park. I purchased 2 bundles.

The wood was TERRIBLE. Very green wood that just smoldered instead of burned. It looks like it was cut down within a few weeks. Very smokey and not heat treated in any way. I will be going back to bringing my own wood for a night of bonfire fun. I purchased an army sack and also have a tote with a lid now. I am putting cardboard in the basement as suggested to help keep it clean.
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:41 AM   #66

Yes the store bought bundles of firewood are horrible and usually come from other states. They are my last choice if I want a camp fire.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 04:58 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Yes the store bought bundles of firewood are horrible and usually come from other states. They are my last choice if I want a camp fire.

A gross generalization in my experience.

Some places you can find decent bundles....some (not in my experience) places maybe not so great.

Weighing the need to keep forests healthy versus a campfire that I love but certainly can forgo for the bigger picture...... pretty clear to me.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 05:06 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster73 View Post
I think the title says it all. I have a motorhome and I usually bring some firewood for a quick weekend. The previous owner just stacked it in one of the basement bays, and it shows.

I started using an open tote, but then I thought about bugs and moisture from rainy days.

Any ideas or thoughts of how/where to store a nights worth of firewood?
Think of the children.

There is a belief that wood burning doesn’t contribute to climate change. But this simply isn’t true.

Burning wood also emits short-lived climate pollutants including soot, carbon monoxide, and volatile organic compounds such as methane.

https://woodsmokepollution.org/clima...%20the%20third.
PS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 05:13 PM   #69

Wood burning like most human activities are environmentally destructive.

But in the big scheme of things a nice, little, hot burning campfire for aesthetics is hardly a huge contributor compared to those that heat homes 24x7 with wood and the myriad of other climate change contributors.

If you are going to feel guilty about climate change...heck... just owning an RV should make you hide from the masses.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 05:15 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
I’ll buy firewood once at our destination. Rather not have bugs and dirt on the trays.

I always think of the kids when we are lighting another campfire that’s why I bring marshmallows, chocolate, and graham crackers.

Methane? Well, sometimes we do watch Blazing Saddles just for the bean scene.

Tags
fire, motor, motorhome