Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2018, 07:04 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
At home I use a hose, a bucket of water with Dawn dish soap and a adjustable handle brush. Using Dawn on it for 14 years and hasn't hurt it yet.

Dawn dish soap strips off wax. If you ever have washed anything greasy with Dawn, you can see it break down the grease. Car wax is petroleum based which is why Dawn strips it. Many good wax systems actually tell you to strip the old wax with Dawn.

Dawns own website recommends NOT using it to wash cars.

1CoolZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2018, 07:22 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
We winter in Yuma and have a gentleman who washes and hand paste waxes our fifth wheel for $100. The rest of the year, I use a long handle brush, automotive soap and a water blade squeegee from Amazon to keep the water spots off. I use Rejex on the front cap for bugs.
A $100, Really? I want his contact info.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:23 AM   #31

We use a pressure washer with a foam cannon, a long handled flow thru brush, and as mentioned before , the RainX Spot Free Wash {we have fairly hard water} and then a leaf blower to dry it off with. Also helps that I use our truck dock to keep in out of the sun, or since it is heated, keeps it warm during the winter.

Oh, almost forgot the most important part: my 16 and 20 year old sons....

Bowser
bowser4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:09 AM   #32

Any body used the WORX Hydroshot to clean there rigs? Nor as much pressure as pressure washer but more than out of the hose. Battery operated and compact.
old golfer guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:02 AM   #33

A bucket, an extendable soft brush, Mr Clean and water. Mr Clean is one of the best soaps I've found for removing bugs on the front. And while you'd think it would strip the wax off, it doesn't seem to as the water beads right up. Like many others, I wash in sections. I use a hose to spray off any stuff that will come off with that and to wet the surface. Then soap it down with the soft long-handled brush. Rinse with the hose. If the water starts to not bead up as much, after it's washed I'll hit it again with a spray on wax.

I am very careful to never spray water directly into the refrigerator, furnace, or water heater vents.

Simple...no big bucks.

PS....I wash the roof two times per year. Keeping a clean roof helps a lot with keeping the sides clean of streaks, etc. Plus, it gives you a good chance to inspect all the seals around vents, antennas, air horns, etc.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:22 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by old golfer guy View Post
Any body used the WORX Hydroshot to clean there rigs? Nor as much pressure as pressure washer but more than out of the hose. Battery operated and compact.
I have one but have not tried it yet for washing. I currently use it to spot spray the bird do do off the rig.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:28 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a bucket, a long handled soft brush, and McGuire's car wash.

If I have a particularly difficult stain (tree sap or dirt) I use Simple Green at full strength. This has worked great on my awning to remove any stains as well as the roof.

I get a simple sponge mop from Dollar General that I use for drying the rig when done. I put a dry towel or cloth (your choice) on the sponge and run it up and down the side of the coach. I use a clean towel whenever the one gets wet. Usually use 5 or 6 to do all sides. I dry the windows this way to keep them streak free. With this mop I can reach the windows, sides, and not have to be on a ladder. It also doubles as the mop for the floors.

I wash the roof twice a year and the sides as well and then will touch up the sides whenever I need to. Usually the front end more than anything else because of driving and bugs and road dirt.

To get bugs off the front I use a dryer sheet slightly moistened and rub it over the bugs. It works pretty good.

I like washing it myself. I get to check all seams and windows for any possible issues. I like the rig clean.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:11 PM   #36

How is blue beacon. Any good. There is one near me an it is 45 dollars including rain ex treatment and they said they use deionized water. Thinking about going
onholdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:17 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by old golfer guy View Post
The folks over at the Newmar forum started a thread on washing your rig. Opened up a whole new world of cleaning your rig to me. Seems like I need to spend about $500 to $700 to get the right equipment to step into the new world of cleaning my rig!! My question to you folks is how and what do you use to wash and wax your unit ( been trying to work unit into this thread). Most of the responses on Newmar where from DPs. All nice folks but looking for info from Joe Six Pack.
Dale
Newmar, Newmar.....I have a 2005 Newmar Mountain Aire.....I love the rig, and it has the defective fiberglass, which did not start deteriating until after my warranty was up, and Newmar offered me 14000 dollar deal to fix.....thats another story...to your question, If my rig is pretty dirty, I bucket wash it with whatever water is available...then I go over it with Meguires wash and wax, if its not real dirty, I forgo the water wash.....my rig looks great (even with the deteriating fiberglass), get compliments on it all the time. By the way, my good buddy Jim Tidball (check out his wonderful blog, Running Down a Dream) was the one who turned me on to the Maguires wash and wax.........
Life is good, beer is good, God is great, boy am I blessed!
madgoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Getting ready to hit the open road, so the DW and I applied Aero Wash/Wax All to our NewAire this morning. Took about an hour.

Works great on glass as well as painted surfaces. I really like this stuff.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #39

I had a dirty stained white fiberglass roof so I started wipeing the stains with paint thinner, then I noticed that the wax didn’t go very far so I used the rag with paint thinner as sort of a double duty clean & wax at the same time & it worked really well plus made the wax go a heck of a lot further & the end product looked great so from that point on that’s how I’ve been doing it!
That’s my tip
tropically is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #40

The guy that I bought my coach from told me to have it cleaned at a Blue Beacon truck wash he said they do a great job & put some sort of a rainex product on it for around $75.00 & they even washed the toad vehicle to boot?
His words were, Just do it!
They might just be west coast, I’m not sure but I have seen them off of the interstate in California & Oregon.
tropically is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:37 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by onholdguy View Post
How is blue beacon. Any good. There is one near me an it is 45 dollars including rain ex treatment and they said they use deionized water. Thinking about going
I have used Blue Beacon, and they use pressure washer, and drip dry. I have heard problems with the pressure washer getting into the areas like the refridge etc. I think for the 45 bucks or so I will wash myself with a long brush on a pole and bucket.
garydhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:39 PM   #42

Mild Soap

We previously had a Forester with full paint and used Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax. Good product. We just purchased a Newmar Canyon Star and will try Newmar's suggestion of baby shampoo along with 1/2 cup of food grade vinegar to three gallons of water to boost the cleaning ability and also softens the water to help minimize water spots.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote