Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2019, 10:35 PM   #1

How does a person not in an RV signal to an RV?

I was driving on I-40 this morning, heading for a doctor's appointment. I passed a MH and noticed that his steps were deployed. I tried waving at him, I don't think he saw me. I drove slower until I could drive on the step side so he wouldn't hit the concrete barrier during road construction, but I needed to get to my appointment. My question is: Is there a signal that Rvers and non Rvers should be aware of when a situation like this occurs? I just couldn't make him/her understand that I wasn't waving "hello" and he had to get through the construction before he could pull off the highway. The last I saw of the RV, it had turned on a northern exit so there was nothing else I could do. I realize this isn't a major happening, but maybe a signal that everyone recognized would really be for everyone's safety? It's very hard to make someone understand when you are going 60+ mph down a highway.
Linda Bohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2019, 11:37 PM   #2

Years ago the CB was used but it's rarely used by RVers now.

Driving alongside him and then honking and pointing your arm perhaps would have done good. Not much you can do.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:08 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've often wondered that myself. The only thing I can think of that should be virtually guaranteed to work would be a medium size write and wipe board and marker, and write a very short message large enough for the driver to read. In this case, "steps out".

Yeah, that might be a pain in the neck, but it could be a bacon-saver for things more serious.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:54 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
I noticed a MH had an unhooked safety chain on their toad and it was flailing around and was eventually going to damage the grill on the toad. The only thing that eventually worked to get the driver's attention was to get in front of them, use alternating turn signals to get their attention, then waved my arm out of the window to point to the right and put on my turn signal and slowed in front of them. They got the hint and pulled over. I approached their entry door and a very cautious co-pilot opened the door just a crack. I told them about the dragging chain and their demeanor changed immediately to one of relief and appreciation.

Hope driver's try and get my attention if they see me blissfully unaware of an issue as I go down the road, but other than being a bit aggressive in the attempt, there really is no universally understood language to convey these sorts of things.

Now, if a driver wants to send a negative message, there are multiple gestures that seem to work just fine!
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:54 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
i had a car signal to me that a cargo ( word for basement) door came open on a notebook and sure enough my water tank door was open.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:48 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Something like this with a voice interface?

https://youtu.be/jUxyQCbCudQ

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:22 AM   #7

We were at a rest area stopped for lunch, when a c class rv pulled in. We noticed that their step had be deployed the entire time. The couple inside never came out, so we observed them having lunch. They started up their engine like they were going to leave, so my friend went over and pointed at the steps. They both looked at him like he had two heads. After sitting there for another minute or so, finally the gentleman got out and went around to see what my friend was pointing at. For a minute there, we thought they were just going to pull away without even investigating what we were pointing at. We were joking that if they had encountered some bicycle riders, it could have gotten nasty. People are very suspicious of strangers, and don't seem very receptive to anyone approaching them. I cant imagine what they would think if a car pulled in front of them, and slowed down trying to get them to pull over. Highjacking would probably their first thought. I blew a tire on my enclosed trailer one time. A car just pulled up beside me, and pointed backwards. I got the idea that something was wrong. I gave them a thank you wave, and pulled over.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:37 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
For the comfort of the rver I have pulled along side tapped the horn ( not blare it ) and my copilot has motioned to the problem area. I then drive on. Hanging around causes all sorts of worries about your intentions. Get their attention , point it out and let them ponder. 90% of the time they get the message and will pull over at the next opportunity to do so , without you there in a possibly threatening position.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:49 AM   #9

Maybe all vechicles should have one of those programmable digital message boards mounted in their back window. Think of all the things we could let the driver behind us know
Old 11-19-2019, 07:58 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We had a problem with our rig and didn't know it, a car up beside us honking it's horn and someone in the passenger seat point to the back of the rig, we pulled over and fixed the problem.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:04 AM   #11

maybe pull in front and put your left arm out the wi dow and point to the right over the top ov your vehicle?
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:11 AM   #12

While RV-ing, I pulled up along the left side of another RV while my wife pointed up and made a sort of T-sign with her fingers. Can you guess what that meant? Apparently the other driver got it. His antenna was up.

Thanks,
MathComp
Old 11-19-2019, 08:20 AM   #13

Most signal at me with their middle finger.
Jlo11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:26 AM   #14

For that reason, I always try to glance over to the driver of the vehicle that is passing me to see their reaction. I have been alerted to loose straps, tarps, and tire problems by passing motorist before they became serious problems.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote