Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2015, 02:41 PM   #29

All the goofy, silly, ignorant, smart, common-sense, and reasonable responses aside, my question is what the hell does full-timers vs part-timers have to do with when you make noise? Pretty neat that the OP waited until 8 AM, but does it mean that if they had been a bunch of week-enders he woulda fired up the compressor at 6 AM???
Just curious . . .
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #30

I think he was referring to the residents, the ones with sheds and porchs. I could be wrong.

We have that confusion in boating. There are "live aboard" people and "full time cruisers"

I full time cruise in my MH and live aboard my boat in the winter.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:18 PM   #31
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD81 View Post
We just finished our first ever trip, and the park we went to was about 100% full timers so there was not much interaction.

We were leaving on Sunday morning and I needed to put air in some tires, how early is too early on a Sunday to start up the air compressor?

Would rather have started at 7, but since I didn't see anyone moving, I waited until 8.

Thoughts? Are parks that are only full timers different than other parks?

Mike, that was very considerate of you to wait until 8AM! I would say that 8AM or later would be ideal, but certainly not before 7AM except in emergency. We wish all our neighbors were like you!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:05 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Jeesh, I only asked about an acceptable time.
Me being new to towing, I would rather be safe.......
Sometimes you ask a simple, reasonable question and it hits personal chords in ways you couldn't anticipate. Then you get all the critters coming out of the woodwork, few of whom answer the original question!!

"Pressure check? We don't need no stinkin' pressure check!! My tires don' leak!"

"Yes, a careful and considerate driver will check pressure daily with a certified, calibrated digital pressure gauge, painted international orange for safety. And only made in a country that honors fair trade practices. And doesn't employ children in sweatshops. On weekends."

"Oh yeah? Gotta check 'em, but real men don' need no gauge. Just thump 'em! Check out my fish billy!"

"Get with the 21st century! You have to have a digital TPMS. A constant, real time information stream is the only safe course!"

Ahhh! You gotta love humanity!!

Quote:
..........the park we went to was about 100% full timers so there was not much interaction..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
.........my question is what the hell does full-timers vs part-timers have to do with when you make noise? .......

Full timers don't interact? Who the hell have I been socializing with for the past three years?
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:23 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Sometimes you ask a simple, reasonable question and it hits personal chords in ways you couldn't anticipate. Then you get all the critters coming out of the woodwork, few of whom answer the original
To be fair to all the thread hijacking "critters" (and I include myself) the first response answered the OP's question. Look at the quiet time hours the campground publishes.

I apologize to the OP and hope the little digression from the original topic does not dissuade him from asking questions in the future.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:59 PM   #34

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
All the goofy, silly, ignorant, smart, common-sense, and reasonable responses aside, my question is what the hell does full-timers vs part-timers have to do with when you make noise? Pretty neat that the OP waited until 8 AM, but does it mean that if they had been a bunch of week-enders he woulda fired up the compressor at 6 AM???
Just curious . . .
No, what that meant was, it was our first trip, and everyone was strictly mind their own business, might have been one couple wave to us, so I had no one to ask any kind of ins and outs. I found other stuff to keep me occupied until time to leave.

Also, I have been on various forums for nearly 10 years and have seen all kinds of hijacks.
I just found it comical that me asking about a timeframe turned into I haven't checked my tires air pressure in however long.
MSD81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:14 PM   #35

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
To be fair to all the thread hijacking "critters" (and I include myself) the first response answered the OP's question. Look at the quiet time hours the campground publishes.

I apologize to the OP and hope the little digression from the original topic does not dissuade him from asking questions in the future.
No apology to me needed at all. I am used to it, and have digressed as well as anyone. Forums are not new to me, only owning and towing a TT.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:32 PM   #36

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Would be interesting to test the efficacy of bashing tyres with clubs. I have seen reports that even expert tyre bashers can't pick a 20% reduction in pressure.
Some years ago a trucking industry magazine did just such a test. Only two out of the 50 drivers could detect a tire dangerously (20%) low.
When I stop I feel the tires by hand and frankly I'm amazed at how much cooler the Magna tires are compared to the same brand (Michelin) we had on the Dutch Star. Bigger tires, aired to the GVWR sticker pressure, and rotating slower do make a difference!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Mike, I appreciate your consideration and thoughtfulness.

Unfortunately, some are not so, but we try to live and let live. Camping is too much fun to let the inconsiderate few destroy our happiness. Thanks for being one of the good guys!
virginiamtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:14 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Some tires leak more than others, for various reasons. Once you check them a few times, you should have a good idea how often they need to be re-checked. Other than that, a walk-around check in perhaps sufficient in case a road hazard has caused a new problem.

If you put an extra 5-10 psi in the tires you need not be concerned about minor temperature and altitude variations, but that is not always possible with trailer tires. They often have no extra margin for the load they carry and have to be run at max all the time. Loss of even a pound or two can be serious.

Install a good TPMS and you don't have to wonder and you don't have to physically do an air check at the tire.

Like Don's, my tires hold air very well and I just tune them up once a year. In between, the TPMS watches for me, in case a new leak develops.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:06 AM   #39

I check my tires before a long ride but have found a IFR temp gun works well at rest stops when the DW walks the dogs I can walk around and get an accurate temp on all the tires and wheels. If all the temps are close good to go.
DicknBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:11 AM   #40
IC2

0800 is usually a good hour, especially on a weekend when many folks try to catch up on their rest. Now, if the folks in the site next door were partying until the wee hours, well that's another story

We are currently sitting in a small CG and are kinda seasonals (a parking place when not on the road) and it's 10:00 am and quiet and usually stays that way as the seasonals and most of the rest are very considerate - but occasionally someone shows up that causes noise problems. Next weekend wont be with the owner's yearly farm tractor show though.

Airing the tires on the 5er and TV, the threads hijack - checked before any trip but usually sometime before leaving - a day or so before the trip as there are just too many other things to do. Also, that spare. I 'dragged' the spare out from its belly mounted hideout, never to go back and it had less then 50 psig instead of the required China Bomb 80psig
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:05 PM   #41

Yep, these posts sure do veer from the original topic. 8 am is a good time to air up and it's always best to check the campground's 'quiet hours' to be sure.

RE: the additional question - There are two kinds of full-timers: full-time workers who live in a park full-time and full-time RVers who travel and are not working except perhaps if they have a job that they can do from their RV as they are traveling. Many younger full-timers are able to do this.

For the most part, full-time workers staying in an RV park permanently do not interact with travelers but the other full-timer RVers certainly do! They are travelers, too, and most are very helpful and friendly. We were full-timer RVers who traveled.

Then to the next comment brought up: As far as tire checking, we always do. We also had a TPM but we still did a look over of our tires with every move.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:53 AM   #42

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post

RE: the additional question - There are two kinds of full-timers: full-time workers who live in a park full-time and full-time RVers who travel and are not working except perhaps if they have a job that they can do from their RV as they are traveling. Many younger full-timers are able to do this.

For the most part, full-time workers staying in an RV park permanently do not interact with travelers but the other full-timer RVers certainly do! They are travelers, too, and most are very helpful and friendly. We were full-timer RVers who travelled
Thanks for that explanation. That makes sense.

Tags
compressor