Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2018, 10:46 PM   #57

Depends on weather, how I am feeling, etc.
For example first leg south after Christmas will be as far as we need to go to de-winterize. Trip will not start if weather too bad.
Now I don’t really like going more than 6-7 hours most times. Still it all depends on where we are and where we are going. I want to get Parker while it is light out.
If we start at night I may drive 6pm to 8-9am but that also depends on where we are.

Tom
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2018, 10:57 PM   #58

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryKay2 View Post
Get a map of west of the Miss. river. Then look at US 40 and 285 for example.

You can drive many 300 mile segments and be in the middle of no where.
I happen to live just off US 285 in NM and drive it every day. Still trying to get somewhere. Just love it.

I grew up in the southwest and never knew that gas stations were closer than an hours drive!!! In reality I do feel hemmed in when towns are closer than 30 minutes apart. Now I even found the Northwest Territories in Canada to be getting a little sparse, but loved it up there. They have about 45,000 people in an area almost twice the size of Texas.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:14 PM   #59

Foretravel Owners Club
Since retirement....Have went as little as 50 miles in a week (5 miles a day or less...fishing holes along a river), and as much as three 1,000 mile days in a row... just depends on what the demands are..
Note... would not have been able to do the miles in a coach not designed for travel...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:18 AM   #60

Good subject!

I'm 56 years old and every year this gets to be more and more of a problem for me, I had 2, 400+ mile trips I squeezed in this past summer and between our lovely congested east coast highways and total mileage the trips turned out to be over 11 hrs. Buy the time I pulled in home I was burned out...

Next year I'm keeping ALL of them to 300 mile max

I'm serious this time

Mike
Old 12-16-2018, 09:29 AM   #61

When I’m delivering a camper my maximum allowed speed is 65 mph which limits me to a maximum of 715 miles per day. Realistically, my average speed is more like 60 mph for eleven hours which results in a 660 mile day.
When I’m pulling our camper I still average about 60 mph but make more stops along the way. The comfort of my bride is the priority.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:40 AM   #62

Not retired yet so when we go to Florida or somewhere like to get there as quick as possible. Max is about 1500 km or just over 900 miles.
Calbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:34 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathaniel View Post
I am so looking forward to being able to slow it down. We are still working so every trip has the drive portion in rush mode. I have driven 28 hours none stop. Not fun. Now try to keep it around 15 then nap.
Is that 15 miles or 15 hours
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:41 PM   #64

We're retired and FTers.....300 miles or 6 hours whichever comes first.

My days of rushing are OVER!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:33 AM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by dphillipssr View Post
My wife and I are not full timers. But, we only drive 250 max 300 miles usually less in a day in a class A. We take a month or two at a time during the summer even if it takes a little longer to finish our travel plans and things we want to see.l I am the only driver, (my wife doen't drive the RV) I read were some RVers drive hundreds a miles day after day. But we like to set up and take our time once we get to a campsite. Are we an anomaly or just taking our time and just taking short hops between camping spots and keeping driving down to around 5 hours?

It’s sounds to me your style is your style and you used the word “we” so you have it figured out. For “me” 400 mi. is my comfortable maximum day. We don’t always have long stops along the way.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:33 AM   #66

On the 6 week trip we took this year (from southern US, Virginia, DC, Canada loop), we set a max of near 200 miles/day. One reason is my legs and butt start cramping. (DW doesn't drive the motorhome). We are in our mid-60s and retired. We only violated it once on the last leg home (300 miles), but stopped for a couple of hours for lunch, walked around at a rest stop, etc.

We also prefer to stay 2 nights min before leaving a campground so it doesn't seem like we spent the whole trip hooking up/unpacking/packing/unhooking. We don't follow this rule strictly but at most stops we did. Also, we stopped at a campground in East TN we had been to before because we liked the area. Did some activities we missed the other time due to weather and not enough time.

I could see a western US trip, a 200 mile limit might be too short, but our purpose is to enjoy retirement and sightsee and visit attractions. So we plan routes and stops at around desired locations, preferably no more than 200 miles apart, where we stop for 2 nights min. A low-attraction area is an opportunity for RV maintenance, smoking some meat, clothes washday, and campground relaxing.
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:12 PM   #67

Thanks for all the comments. I also had a post “How Old to Still Drive.” So, by reading the reply’s, I learned a lot from the comments from both posts:
a. A lot of people are like me. I am not an anomaly at how far I like to drive in a day.
b. Driving in chunks of only 250-300 (or less) miles a day and keep the time down to no more than 6 hours (6 ½ in really necessary) averaging 50/hour including time for lunch is normal.
c. I don’t need to get up and pull out be before dark and drive all day for 10 or 12 hours.
d. It is normal if I take my time in the morning, walk the dog and have breakfast and break camp and be on the road by 9:30 or 10. I still have plenty of time to get to my next stop by driving only 6+/- hours, and as long if I arrive up by 3 or 4:30, kick back, have a drink, or just have time to relax and not feel overly tired from driving or rushed.
e. Even staying a couple of nights after only 250/300 is OK if I want to relax even more or have things, I want to do is OK.
f. Granted there were some who drive anywhere between 600-1000 miles or what ever it takes. But then some complained how tired they were after such a long drive. But that is their problem.
g. Finally, “how old to still keeping driving”? At 70 I still have another 10 years of RV’ing as long as I stay in good health.
Hats off to iRV2 forms!
dphillipssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:26 AM   #68

Hey, I hope we still have a few more years than that, I'm soon to be 80 and we're planning another OR-WV and back trip this summer with visits to places in between.

I think we all do it differently, the way we choose to, and IMHO, that's the way it should be. In my opinion, there are no wrong ways as long as we are courteous and thoughtful.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:31 AM   #69

Location: From California currently traveling this great country.
5hrs is good for us also. Retired means not in any hurry...
poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:05 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
Hey, I hope we still have a few more years than that, I'm soon to be 80 and we're planning another OR-WV and back trip this summer with visits to places in between.

I think we all do it differently, the way we choose to, and IMHO, that's the way it should be. In my opinion, there are no wrong ways as long as we are courteous and thoughtful.

Steve
Yes Sir!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel