Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2015, 01:48 PM   #1

How far would you travel to purchase a Used Travel Trailer?

Hello All

I'm New to RV'ing have not yet bought one. I know what i want after doing research. I'm looking at a Lance 1685 that about 2 to 3 years old. I'm interested in that model do to weight and also it has the 4 Season Package. Which i really really like and would use. I'm sure i dont want new do to loss of value once you pull it off the lot of a dealer. This model does not seem to stay on the market that long once someone puts it on the market do to upgrading in size. So my question for you is how far would you travel from your home town to purchase a used model? I live in Northern California and all the ones i have seen that are private party are in Southern California which is about 5 to 6 hours away. I have ask the seller if they are willing to meet half way. Which all have said no. So I'm trying to justify the drive down to southern California or should i just wait till one in Northern California comes available. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks for reading.
Mr_AISARV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2015, 03:02 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have purchased RV at a distance. Here is how I have done it. Pictures first, lots of them. Detailed discussions with the seller. When ready, make the money deal, rendering a deposit, contingent upon inspections. Then get a professional inspection done. based upon the outcome of the pro inspection pass on the unit, have the seller make corrections, and/or renegotiate the price. Lastly you travel and make your acceptance inspection and if all is ok, close the deal.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:42 PM   #3

Last MH we purchased was 1,250 miles from home. Your seller may meet you half way after you have looked it over, inspected it and put a large down payment on it to purchase. Unless you are prepared to see it once and pay for it on the spot.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #4

Two years ago, I found the Arctic Fox model I wanted on the Internet (used) at a dealership in Portland, OR. I was in southwest Texas at the time and negotiated for almost two months before I felt comfortable making a modest deposit on the TT and driving to the Northwest to check it out and, if in condition as described, buy it. I got a fair trade on my existing TT and made the deal. I was treated well. I still have the trailer and have no regrets.
LewBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:00 PM   #5

We drove about 1,000 miles after numerous phone calls and emailed photos. We were not disappointed and have a great DRV Mobile Suites at a heck of a good price. We also had a mini-vacation out of it and stayed in it until all the paperwork was completed. The bonus was we made some good friends!
Helipilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, travel, travel trailer