Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2014, 04:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Sorry, but I disagree with that. As a permanent resident in the "Gulf Coast Cone of Uncertainty" I know that a tropical storm can be very serious with winds from 39-73 MPH.
We live on the Great Lakes. The cone of uncertainty is much greater as storms sometimes blow up off the lakes in minutes. I have seen awnings ripped off and thrown up on and through trailer roofs. Storms and tornado warnings are a regular occurance but am glad we don't live in the so called tornado alley. As a result a tropical storm does not scare me and it was no big deal to sit through one in Myrtle beach. We where prepared to move as the predicted huricanne did not rise up from a tropical storm level. We where on of many that sat it out. Those that sat it out where in large trailers or motor coaches. The hybrids and pop ups went home. And this is one of the reasons I will not have a pop up or hybrid trailer. hard sides only for me.

We did get the remnants of hurricane Sandy here on the Great lakes. The wind that hit us on the front side wrap around of the storm came straight down Lake Huron with a 160 KM 98 mph North wind. My trailer and boat where parked broad side to this wind with no damage thankfully. Mind you I am glad it was sitting in the driveway and we where not camping in it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Everyone is giving great advice. If you don't need to go, wait a couple days. Flooding and storm surge are also factors to consider. A TS can change to a Hurricane overnight. Not worth risking.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:30 PM   #17

The wind is not the problem. Living in SoCal I find myself driving in Santa Anna Winds too often; these can topple semi-truck if they go too fast, and have tipped more than a few motorhomes and trailers. A tropical storm adds water to the mix, and being near homes adds trees and debris. Given the fact that your RV has wheels, I would think it prudent to stay in a reasonably safe area, and adjust your visit to correspond to better weather. JMHO
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:26 AM   #18

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAParrothead View Post
I'd been planning to go to Chesapeake, VA but now I see there Tropical Storm Arthur may go through while I'm there (Thurs-Fri). Our 31-foot motorhome can handle the rain, but what about wind? At what point do I have to be concerned about high winds when my RV will be parked and fairly close to a two-story house? I'm kinda new to RVing and am wondering if I should go ahead or hold back for a couple of days. In the meantime, I'm watching the weather forecasts.
As a resident of Florida for 35 years: Stay away. As of this morning they fully expect this system to be a hurricane.

There are only two types of people that have sat through a Cat 2 or higher hurricane: Those that are dead, and those that just don't learn.

I have lived through a cat 3. Never again!! I learned.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:47 AM   #19

We made a decision to stsay in our S&B home in '79 for Frederick. It went from 90 mph to 140 before anyone knew about it. Fortunately only superficial damage.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
As a resident of Florida for 35 years: Stay away. As of this morning they fully expect this system to be a hurricane.

There are only two types of people that have sat through a Cat 2 or higher hurricane: Those that are dead, and those that just don't learn.

I have lived through a cat 3. Never again!! I learned.
Definitely at this point I would agree to stay away.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:33 PM   #21

Lived in that area (Va Beach) for over 18 years. In mid-2000's we had a tropical storm that brought down thousands of trees. The water table is so high there that the tree roots stay close to the surface. Add some heavy rain and then high winds and down came the trees. I would wait until after the storm passes through. May be a nonissue but why take the chance.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:38 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Seems to be prudent to wait a couple days. If you go a bit later you may see the storm debris but not be part of it. IMO

If you know MPH and want to know PSF take the wind speed and square it and mulitply by .00256. At 50 mph you have 6.4 lb per foot. Muliply that by the side are of your MH (assuming you cannot face or back into the wind) and see what the number is.

Part of the issue is the wind blowing the MH over but the big issue is the debris that is flying around.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I liked what the Governor of North Carolina said as he just declared a state of emergency for all of eastern NC. "Please, don't put your stupid hat on during this event." Staying put for a day or two sounds like the right thing to do.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm at the beach in N Florida now and it's getting gusty. I think the storm will be 60-80 miles offshore when it passes tonight, so I'll bring in the awning. I'd probably hold off on your visit - even though your MH should be fine (especially parked next to a 2 story house), but storms tend to bring out the worst in people. My biggest worry is always falling trees and flying debris.
Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:38 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The answer varies.. Are slides in or out, Awning in our out, Jacks up or down, What is the make and model, which direction are the winds coming from.. So many different variables.

I have heard of RV's being flipped by a 50MPH or less wind with gusts.

I"ve taken 100 mph winds from Dead astern.. If I gott take it, That's where I want it.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Hope all the folks that are on the coast get thru this ok.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:20 PM   #27

Let me put it this way...You can be home, safe and able to do whatever amuses you or you can drive to someplace where driving, sitting or going outside will be unpleasant if not downright scary assuming nothing worse happens. Why are you asking???
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote