Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
The part that feels the best about helping someone is knowing you've saved them some grief. The hard part is when you see a need but can't help.

I once observed a coach going the other way on a divided busy roadway......with their steps out. There was no way I could let them know. All I could do was pray they didn't have an incident with the steps before stopping somewhere and noticing it themselves. That was a troubling feeling knowing I couldn't do anything about it.

Regards,
W.D.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2017, 02:52 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Motorhome rescues

As fellow motor homers, we are most all ready and willing to help another traveler. These road rescues can sometimes make interesting stories. Here is mine.

Several years ago the DW and I were out in Shiprock N.M. checking on our laundry business. I spotted a very nice Vogue sitting on the side of the road. The gent was under the front left lying on his back working on it. Oklahoma plates, Sunday afternoon, Shiprock N.M., did not paint a healthy picture. I pulled over and asked if I could help. He said he had an air leak and brakes were locked up. He needed the compression ferrell for a 3/8 plastic line. At this point the gent had not even looked out from under the coach to greet me. It just so happened I had been working on a kitchen faucet earlier that day and had on of the little bugger in my pocket. I said," one like this?". He looked out with THAT look on his face and said yea. I gave his wife my card and went on our way.

A couple weeks later we received a letter from those folks. Seems they were on their honeymoon that day and the lady said her husband wanted to see if we were for real or some kind of ROAD GHOST. How else would someone stop in the middle of nowhere and have the exact part he needed to get them going. If we were in fact real, there was the biggest steak in Oklahoma waiting for us if we ever got thru there. Every time I see a coach stopped, for whatever reason, I think about that day.
WE WORK HARD SO OUR DOG CAN HAVE A BETTER LIFE
2005 ADVENTURER 38J
jerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:06 PM   #17

I always help my fellow RV'er. Constantly forgetting something of value when leaving the camp site. LOL
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:33 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Jerboy I read your story in the other thread.....that is so fantastic. The Lord indeed works in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform......many many times, or most times, through US.

Regards,
W.D.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:42 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sure, why not?
Many times over the 60 yr's of RV'ing I've done.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:30 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Great story, Jerboy! Keep these stories coming
We were camping on the shores of Lake Michigan in sight of the bridge. Two gals with a class C pulled into the space next to us, just being their first time out, they couldn't get the slide out and the steps wouldn't come out. I checked fuses, good power, then they called previous owner. E-brake had to be set before slide can go out. The steps, that was an easy fix, the connector by the motor was disconnected. All is well.
Now in a Class C Coachman Leperchaun, trailer towing a 1950 Crosley Station wagon, or a '42 Pick-Up. Member of the Non-Affiliated Camping Group FMCA #F462997 RVM #146 Jon & Ellen
Eyephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:34 PM   #21

Talking You betcha!

Many times I have loaned tools, parts or whatever expertise i could muster to help out a fellow RV'er. I carry more tools and spare parts than most folks and am always happy to help someone out.

Another of our favorites "helps" is a family with kids but no fire wood. We always offer some of ours as camping without a fire, especially with little ones just isn't the same.

I always tell our neighbors if there is anything you need check with us was we probably have it... and frequently they give me the opportunity to prove I'm right. It works both ways, I've borrowed everything from ice cubes to an onion. Pay it forward.... life is good.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:29 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Air for a low tire (I carry a compressor) Jump start, Directions backing in, Technical help with a faulty slide, Television issues, Electricial issues.

Several other methods as well... I carry a fairly good tool box and am a certified Electronics Technician, as well as trained in mechanical work. so there is not much I have not the SKILLS to tackle.. There are jobs however where I do not wish to take the risk or where my tool box fails or.. Well, I'm am getting a bit too old for some things.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #23

Natchez Mississippi, Guy behind me in tt. Was sitting with his wife at picnic table for a long time with groceries on table ? I go get ready for cookout and can see he left in truck, I walk over and key to door handle is broke off in lock and they are locked out. He went looking for locksmith or ??? She wanted to bust window out but I held back, I like most, carry enough tools to fix a small army's worth of vehicles. I grab drill and with her permission drill it out. Easy enough it's aluminum. I remove lock cylinder and with screwdriver pop the handle and it opens. They still had deadbolt to use to lock it. He shows back up. They both want to pay but I said my pleasure. Etc. next morning I am dumping tanks and rolling up water hose, he comes over again thanks me.
Felt good to be able to help them out.
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
On another forum, 2 different times & people. One was wanting info on replacing his rooftop AC. I noticed he was in the same town as us. Contacted him and went over to help replace the AC. The other was a lady having problems with her water system and was in the same town as us. Went over and helped her get it going.

I guess the moral to the story is: When having problems and needing help, post where you are currently located. Might be someone nearby that can help.

DICK
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:34 AM   #25

Ok I feel bad... I am always willing to help,,, but last year in Hot Springs AR I stood and watched a guy (my age basically) try to back in a 5vr next to us... Lots of room... His wife was out trying to help him... I kept thinking I don't want to make him look bad... Been driving a truck off and on for 37 yrs now... If I had it to do over, I would offer my help... They were very nice, we talked the next day some... They were new to the larger 5vr... I still feel bad... But sometimes experience is the best teacher... IF I saw he was going to damage something I would have jumped in with both feet.... They finally got it in just right.... Next time I'll ask if they want a little help....
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #26

I could write books.. way to many...

Campers, drivers, motorcyclists, bicycles......

45 years as an auto mechanic.. now retired.... if its disabled.. I stop.
also do Free Car work/repair thru our church.. 12 years now.

I will get rewarded later.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:14 AM   #27

Howdy!

We recently had a knock on our RV door late one night night. Turned out it was a first time RVer. Him and his family had just purchased a new truck and 5er. They had left Florida over nighted in New Orleans and just arrived here late. The dealer help him hookup but he did not remember how to disconnect and use the level up system as they stayed connected the night before. I helped them out and walked him through everything. This morning I helped him again and gave him some pointers with other RV matters. They left out of the park here in Houston, Texas headed to California.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:55 PM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm on this forum and another because it feels good when you can help someone solve a problem, thus saving them time and money. I do all of my own work and I like doing mods. When I had my Diplomat and now my Dutch Star, I do mods and then post how I did them with photos. When someone asks questions or need help, I'll often PM them with my phone number. My wife calls them my boyfriends. Some weird number will show up on my cell and my wife will say.....you have a boyfriend calling.

I average about one call a week from people that need help. If I have inexpensive parts that I don't need or use, I'll ship them no charge to whomever needs them. I shipped some parts out just last week.

I carry a fair amount of tools and a lot of common parts. I find it rewarding to help someone in a campground who is broken down. You also make a new friend. We have a great couple who lives in Oregon that I met here on the forum. We visit them every other year and we usually do some mod or repair on his coach. Last year I installed his Winegard Travler.

Helping people out when you can is like being a teacher......very rewarding. I've been financially lucky and like to help others save money.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote