Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2020, 08:33 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
We have AAA not in a rush. We live like the big trucks. Place the call and they can bring a new tire or fix it.

I'm not changing 22.5 x 255 tires on a custom frightliner chassis. Now I might carry a tire with out rim when we go to Alaska??
I have AAA and a fully mounted spare they could not change it had to do it myself with help (don't hold your breath on AAA )
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2020, 05:26 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
We have AAA not in a rush. We live like the big trucks. Place the call and they can bring a new tire or fix it.

I'm not changing 22.5 x 255 tires on a custom frightliner chassis. Now I might carry a tire with out rim when we go to Alaska??
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataska View Post
I have AAA and a fully mounted spare they could not change it had to do it myself with help (don't hold your breath on AAA )

Having a mounted spare and tools means that you won't be left in the lurch, even if AAA (or whatever roadside service you have) fails you. There are still good people in the world, and it will usually be possible to find someone willing to stop and lend a hand getting a tire changed.

1974 GMC 4108 - Custom Coach Conversion
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:14 PM   #45

Triple E Owners Club
Spare

No one wants to change a tire, especially one that weighs as much as we do.
The idea is not to change a tire but to have the resources available in case of the "worst case"
Google and youtube are my newest best friends and the wealth of information is unlimited. I watched a video that involved a guy having a flat on the front of his diesel pusher. On real issues, so called for a tire company to fix it and they brought a new tire and new steel rim. The reason for the new steel rim was the tire repair person would not mount a new tire on a aluminium rim that could be damaged. I don't blame him not wanting to install a tire on a "maybe" cracked rim without a cage.
I am fortunate to have room for a mounted spare, as the DP gives me lots of basement storage.
I would think we all would carry a spare if space permitted.
Its good insurance
Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:17 PM   #46

Triple E Owners Club
I forgot to mention that the cost of buying a 22.5 tire plus steel rim plus service call was $1000. No AAA there.
Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:05 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
I forgot to mention that the cost of buying a 22.5 tire plus steel rim plus service call was $1000. No AAA there.
yea my 22.5 steel rim and used michlin 22.5 spare tire cost $165.00 and took hr to change.
Old 11-01-2020, 03:00 PM   #48

Send a message via AIM to Our05Winneba
What is your basic RV tire size - 19" or 22.5"?

If 19" then maybe a spare, but if 22.5" - no way. Not only will your tire/wheel weigh >100lbs each, but you will not likely be able to even loosen the lugs nuts - which on my RV are torqued to 475 ft/lbs each.

So regardless of wheel size the other issues are ability to jack up the vehicle, your ability to handle the weight of the spare, and your ability to loosen/tighten the lug nuts. This s why most RVs do not come with a spare, and why most RVers sign onto a Road Assistance plan.
Our05Winneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:16 PM   #49

It's Really Not All That Important - Until You Need it......
sturgisguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:31 PM   #50

We have a class A gasser with 18.5” tires. I carry a spare, a mini floor jack, breaker bar, etc. if I have a flat, my plan is to use the levelers (because they are frame mounted) to lift the weight off the wheels, then use the mini floor jack to lift the wheel the rest of the way off the ground. The F53 wheel lugs are around 100ft-lbs that can be loosened by hand. Even if I decided to call AAA, I think it’s better to have a mounted tire to avoid getting ripped off by having to buy a tire during an emergency. Recently, my family caravaned three vehicles from California to Alabama and in Amarillo, TX the boat being towed by my son had a blow out. We put the spare on but it wasn’t in good shape either. It was a nightmare trying to get a new tire while on the side of the road. Because of “Covid” the tire places all had an hour wait. Needless to say, we lost a half of a day travel time and I feel fortunate that it wasn’t longer. Thank God I had tools and a good jack!
RonVBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:32 PM   #51

One Sunday, I had a blow out on one of the 2 passenger rear tires. Before I could get to an adequate exit, the blow out tire tore up the other adjacent tire. Lucky I had a spare, used the jacks and got home much earlier than any repair service could find a similar tire and install.
jlevick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:50 PM   #52

All 6 wheels and tires are the same, you have a new unit, they do not vary the sizes on new vehicles. You probably have a spare under the rear end of your unit. Unless your are built like a body builder and are a young man 50 or less and carry a large impact wrench and all associated accessories like a 150 psi air compressor, etc. subscribe to a good roadside emergency service because you’re not going to turn those lug nuts loose, 125-175 lb ft of torque, it’s only $70-80 per yr.
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:52 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
Road side assistance will come out and may bring a new tire in your size. They may not install it on you aluminium wheel due to the chance of the wheel being damaged in the event of a blowout. They will provide you with a new tire and new steel wheel for a $$$$$$
I carry a spare and it is a 22.5 and weighs the same as me, but road side assistance can deal with it and I don't have to buy a tire "on the spot"
Good insurance if you have the room to carry one.
X2. My 22.5 spare is mounted on a steel wheel which means it can go in any position. Saved my bacon twice now. Really speeds up roadside service response time because they don't have to hunt down the correct size.

I have a good size pass through and pack things in the middle of the wheel. The loss of storage really doesn't bother us.
VinceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:01 PM   #54

I have had motorhomes for over 30 years and I always carried a spare. Usually with wheel but when a wheel was hard to find I did go awhile with just the tire. I agree with the person who said you only need one if you don't have one. All my MH's had the same size tire on on all 6 locations. The front wheel was the same as the dual's - the outside rear is wheel is just reversed from the inner and front and will fit any position. I have been to all 4 corners of the USA and BC in Canada. Most worried about crossing the Badlands!
john72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:02 PM   #55

This is probably already been ridden and I was too lazy to read the whole post but we just finished a 4000+ mile trip and I purposely carried a spare on a rim balanced and aired on the off chance I had a flat I would still call roadside assistance to change it but this way there’s no hunting around for a tire. It does take some storage but to me it’s totally worth it. I do have the tools to change it myself and in the right circumstances I might attempt to do it myself but we’re talking about 16 inch tires versus 22 1/2. But even when we get our diesel pusher I will still carry a spare so that whoever comes out to change it doesn’t have to bring me an over inflated priced tire.
Replacing the old RexAir with a 2005 Newmar Essex 4502...just a tiny upgrade, WOOHOO!
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:11 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
I've got dually wheels on the rear, for a total of 6 tires. Thinking about long trips, various remote and/or mountainous locations. The factory didn't equip the motorhome with a spare.

Considering the rear tires are duals, a spare doesn't make sense there. The front tires, on the other hand, are where a spare tire would make sense. Discussing with the manufacturer, their quick answer was that was what the tire warranty is for.

Considering remote location, cell phone service availability, difference in the front and back wheels, and the DW's sense of insecurity not having a spare.

So, my question to you all: Motoring around the US and Canada with arguably 3 different sets of wheel configurations (front, inside rear, outside rear), do you feel not having a spare tire is an issue? Or a non issue?
Important enough that I spent the money and had a welder modify and reinforce my rear bumper to my frame/hitch to allow the tire carrier to be supported with the dully spare!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67CF6256-3E74-4D90-9BDD-452469DD2FAF.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	306669  
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote