Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2020, 09:34 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Worry is a subjective thing and it effects each person differently! .
Yes, that was the point of the post I responded to and agreed with, but I added another factor.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2020, 10:34 AM   #30
PKI

For most, you need a plug kit, a compressor, an unmounted tire and a roadside assistance plan that covers tire installation. Some only cover the installation of a mounted spare. Note - there are some who are willing to just waiter help and carry only a credit card. That plan can work if you have time and patience.

Our tires/wheel combinations are all different. The tires are directional and therefore mount opposite left to right. The front wheels are 8 lug and the rears are 10 lug. The inner duals are steel and the outers are polished aluminum. Quite a mix. Add to that the difficulty of finding a tire that fits your rig in a remote area and that moves us to the decision that we will carry an unmounted spare tire.

Directional tires - you can run them reversed for a while, but need to correct the mount as soon as possible.

Duals - these tires wear over time. A new tire will be larger diameter than a worn tire. Moving a steer tire to the dual position is a tactic to deal with wear because all the tires wear similar (not same, but similar). The difference in new vs worn diameter is not a problem for a steer tire. So, to restate, if a dual fails, you need to move a steer to the dual position and mount the new tire in a steer position. In our case, that means demounting the steer tire, mounting it on the dual wheel, and mounting the new tire on the steer wheel. Note - there may be a cost impact associated with our requirement, as this is not a normal situation.

Suggest you consider how you will use the rig. There are several issues that will impact your choice. Having to wait for help may be a minor inconvenience for some and a deadly consequence for others. Your plan may be to add a satellite phone, a complete tool kit and spare, or a back pack and good hiking shoes. Figure out what works for you, your family and your RVing lifestyle. Checking in regularly with someone who can mobilize help might be a very good plan. Boaters file a float plan, pilots file a flight plan, and RVers need similar when there is the possibility of breakdown where no one will notice.

Read all the comments. They may have more or less value for your situation. Do your own research on what is required for your rig. Do not assume. Disclaimer - not a tire expert. Only a private RVer. All different - make your own decision.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:52 PM   #31

Many Motorhomes do not come with a spare and tools to change. I don’t think I could change a tire. I carry emergency road service. I did have a blowout several years ago in a remote area and it took approximately 5 hours to get a new tire installed. In over 40 years I have had 2 blowouts.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:33 AM   #32

I just recently experienced my first flat while on the road. I didn't have a spare tire, so I had to have a service call to get the tire repaired to make it safe to drive it to the tire dealer for replacement. I'm in the process of finding out whether the roadside service program sold through the FMCA will cover the service call minus repair of the tire. From what I've been able to find out, coverage is for having a spare mounted.

The experience pointed out clearly that it is best to have a spare because getting a matching replacement tire is not likely to happen within 24 hours. Even if you don't have the spare mounted on a wheel, one roadside service call can get you back on the road fairly quickly and avoid racking up 2 or more days of on the road expenses. Being held up for a couple days isn't a big deal IF you can safely get your rig to a campground or suitable place for a short stay. With the tire damage I had, it wouldn't hold air long enough to get it anywhere! So...it was a learning experience and puts me firmly in the group that advocates having a spare.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:08 AM   #33

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
I owned an old Class A once. Dad, when he was around, used to sell them (specialized in the old Blue Bird Wanderlodges). He found it for me and me and my oldest son flew out to Oregon to go pick it up and drive it back to Texas. Driving south through the cascades to swing by to visit mom, we had a catastrophic blowout on the left rear which beat the heck out of the surrounding coach body. No spare and it took maybe 3-4 hours for someone to come out and brought a tire with them. All this on the first day of ownership.

Im not a bad worrier. By nature Im a planner and a creator of agendas. For us, we have the Ford roadside service, plus I bought a 5 year extended warranty that also covers tires. In addition to that, we have GEICO which includes stuff like getting locked out of the motorhome and cars.

I like the idea of having the tire ready, especially if I have the space for it on the chassis. Actually my biggest worry really is that my clearance on the rear autoleveler jack feet are less than 12”, and lower than the drag bars are mounted to the rear frame. Each bounce or exit from a parking lot, they can and do hit bottom. So adding the tire and winch to the equation Im hoping the rear wont come down further and reduce the clearance more.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:03 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Many Motorhomes do not come with a spare and tools to change. I don’t think I could change a tire. I carry emergency road service. I did have a blowout several years ago in a remote area and it took approximately 5 hours to get a new tire installed. In over 40 years I have had 2 blowouts.
Like I said earlier, it will usually be fairly easy to find someone to help change a tire. No way can I do it myself on our coach - the mounted tire weighs over 100 pounds - but I should be able to find help. Even if I have to flag down a truck or other vehicle to beg for help, I will hopefully not have to sit on the side of some remote road for days waiting for help.

I've read a few stories of people having to wait out a long holiday weekend, broken down on the side of the road, due to a blow out. Sometimes roadside assistance is no where to be found, sometimes a new tire cannot be found locally.

Another important thing to remember here is cell phone service. There are still vast areas of the US with no cell phone service at all. What is your plan to get roadside assistance if you find yourself in an area with no phone service? Do you have a CB? A satellite phone? Ham radio? Or are you planning to flag down a car to have them call for help for you when they reach cell coverage?

Whether you need a spare tire depends on many factors, including where you will be traveling.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:42 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I just recently experienced my first flat while on the road. I didn't have a spare tire, so I had to have a service call to get the tire repaired to make it safe to drive it to the tire dealer for replacement. I'm in the process of finding out whether the roadside service program sold through the FMCA will cover the service call minus repair of the tire. From what I've been able to find out, coverage is for having a spare mounted.

The coverage is for the roadside service to come out to assist you. If you have a mounted spare, it includes changing the tire for you. If more effort than that is needed, it is considered a "repair" and at your expense. However, I've found that some roadside providers are willing to do more as part of the basic road call - it's up to them how much they do before they start billing for additional services.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:46 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Many Motorhomes do not come with a spare and tools to change. I don’t think I could change a tire..
What I'm about to say will make little difference on this precise issue if you cannot change a tire, but RVs don't come with tools in general. You need to bring your own, and that includes small things like screw drivers, wrenches, etc. I even bring a couple of large breaker bars and sockets in case something comes loose on my WDH.

The last thing you want is to be stuck alongside the road for want of a simple tool.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:48 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
The experience pointed out clearly that it is best to have a spare because getting a matching replacement tire is not likely to happen within 24 hours. Even if you don't have the spare mounted on a wheel, one roadside service call can get you back on the road fairly quickly and avoid racking up 2 or more days of on the road expenses.
It's not just the expense. When CruiseAmerica sent us out in that defective motorhome we missed out on several reservations because we were thrown off schedule. We missed out on seeing places we wanted to see.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:53 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
I boon dock a lot in remote locations and felt a spare was needed. I purchased a tire and wheel then had to make a spare tire carrier. I have all the tools needed to change a tire if needed. Wouldn't be without it.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:27 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have AAA not in a rush. We live like the big trucks. Place the call and they can bring a new tire or fix it.

I'm not changing 22.5 x 255 tires on a custom frightliner chassis. Now I might carry a tire with out rim when we go to Alaska??
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:56 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
We have AAA not in a rush. We live like the big trucks. Place the call and they can bring a new tire or fix it.

I'm not changing 22.5 x 255 tires on a custom frightliner chassis. Now I might carry a tire with out rim when we go to Alaska??
As long as you have phone service where every you go, then you'll be okay.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:11 PM   #41

One point I did not see mentioned is age, even if the spare has never been mounted or used it ages out the same as the tires on the ground, and should be replaced on the same schedule as all other tires.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:12 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post

One bad experience and you may change your ways.

My son is a owner operator and he used to live by the make a call and let the service deal with the tire issue. After a couple of missed load deliveries, he since changed his way and now carries 2 spare tires with tools to change them.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote