RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2020, 09:31 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
How important is a spare tire?

I've got dually wheels on the rear, for a total of 6 tires. Thinking about long trips, various remote and/or mountainous locations. The factory didn't equip the motorhome with a spare.

Considering the rear tires are duals, a spare doesn't make sense there. The front tires, on the other hand, are where a spare tire would make sense. Discussing with the manufacturer, their quick answer was that was what the tire warranty is for.

Considering remote location, cell phone service availability, difference in the front and back wheels, and the DW's sense of insecurity not having a spare.

So, my question to you all: Motoring around the US and Canada with arguably 3 different sets of wheel configurations (front, inside rear, outside rear), do you feel not having a spare tire is an issue? Or a non issue?
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 09:51 AM   #2

IMO a spare requires occupying valuable basement storage or a considerable expense of a hitch-mounted spare carrier.

I carry emergency road service these days, tire replacement is a benefit although I must purchase the new "spare".

In a past life I owned a 26' 1976 Allegro gas MH. The owners manual addressed flat tires. It said if a steer tire was flat, remove the outside dual and replace the flat tire and proceed slowly to the nearest filling station. If a dual tire was flat, reduce speed and proceed slowly to the nearest tire shop/filling station. Thinking has changed since then but that did get me off the road and my family to a safe location.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:54 AM   #3

A few points.

First, though I'm not familiar with your RV, there are not three different tire configurations. Not saying yours does not have different tire sizes for the dual set vs the steer tires, but if you do, then you likely have only two different tires as all four, on each side of the rear axle, should be the same. It's not clear if you mean the rear duals are different because of the way the wheel/rim looks. If that's the case, rest assured that the rims are identical, just the outside wheel is reverse mounted.

Second, having dual wheels in the rear does not mean a spare is unnecessary for that set. Losing one tire of a dually means the remaining tire will be overloaded and subject to rapid failure. Yes, you will have time to drive to a repair facility, carefully, but losing one tire from a dual set should be seen as a need for immediate replacement.

Third, your Class C can possibly be fitted with a spare, mounted at the rear or under the chassis. If that gives you comfort, it's a way to go. If you choose to do that, the the spare should likely be one that fits the steer wheels, assuming the duals are different size.

Finally, even if you have a spare, will you be able to change it out? Does your rv have a jack? Will you be able to break the lug nuts loose? Are you willing to carry all the necessary tools to accomplish that task, and if so, where are you going to store them? Point being, you may need to call out a service truck anyway, but you will save the cost of buying a new tire.

To answer your final question, those of us with Class A coaches have long had to deal with no carried spares. That's why nearly all carry some form of roadside assistance coverage. That does not help much in the scenarios you pose of no cell service in remote locations, but nothing is guaranteed 100%. Many also tow a vehicle so being stranded with no phone can often be overcome by driving the toad to a location where reception is available.

Edit: Ray, IN posted as I typed. His mention of temporarily using a good dual to replace a flat steer can get you out of a jam if you are very careful.

BTW, here is a current thread that may interest you. Poster has a class c, carries a spare, and has a flat. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/surp...an-512295.html
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:55 AM   #4

I would tend to agree with you about the fronts, but is there a way to carry a spare on your RV?

I'll add a question of my own. Does anyone just carry tires (no wheels) so at least they don't have to go search down a proper replacement in the middle of nowhere?
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Couple of points.

. . .

Many also tow a vehicle so being stranded with no phone can often be overcome by driving the toad to a location where reception is available.
That was more than a couple of points, but I'll let it slide since the last one was so good!
Old 10-25-2020, 10:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
That was more than a couple of points, but I'll let it slide since the last one was so good!
LOL! Yeah, I went back and edited once I realized I got carried away.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:15 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
You only need a spare if you get a flat.

I carry a spare without a wheel. I will hopefully be able to get a tire shop to come to my rescue. If not, I have a jack, tire irons, and tools to re and re the flat. Also, I have a good compressor.

Just like insurance, I have it,but hope to never use them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1720.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	305862  
Happy Glamping.Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:19 AM   #8
US1

I have a 19.5" spare ready to go that is mounted underneath, a 20T hyd bottle jack, breaker bar, extensions, and torque wrench. So the space I'm using to store all needed items is about the size of a gal of milk. The thought of waiting on the roadside for who knows how long, is not an option when I am more than capable (at this point) of changing out any flat that may arise.
As time goes on and I become physically unable to manhandle a tire, then there really is no option, other than carrying my own spare allowing someone else to mount.

Obviously, the size of the RV/ tires and the age/mechanical abilities of the RV'er determine whats right for you
Old 10-25-2020, 10:22 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I carry an unmounted 22" tire underneath in a pass thru compartment. It just sits there and doesn't move. I always assumed If I had a tire situation, I could call my roadside assistance and tell them "I have a tire.... just send someone to change it."

I do it this way because Im sure wherever / whenever it would happen, nobody would have a tire that would be the size I need.
We RV'd ALL of the lower 48 states and into Canada
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:28 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
and the DW's sense of insecurity not having a spare.
IMO, this is the only important consideration. If momma is uneasy, buy an extra tire to make her more comfortable.

Chances of needing a spare are very low, and when/if you do need one, chances are good that a roadside service can supply one within a few or maybe several hours. Not instantly, though. Also you will pay handsomely for having an emergency tire brought to you, but paying for an extra tire you may never use ain't exactly cheap either.

FWIW, studies I've seen show that you are more likley to need a spare battery, spare serpentine belt, or spare fuel filter than a spare tire.

Ljwt330 covered the subject pretty well, so I won't belabor the subject further.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
I carry a spare without a wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ RV'r View Post
I carry an unmounted 22" tire underneath in a pass thru compartment.
I guess that answers my question. Must be fairly common to get two responses in an hour.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:08 PM   #12

Road side assistance will come out and may bring a new tire in your size. They may not install it on you aluminium wheel due to the chance of the wheel being damaged in the event of a blowout. They will provide you with a new tire and new steel wheel for a $$$$$$
I carry a spare and it is a 22.5 and weighs the same as me, but road side assistance can deal with it and I don't have to buy a tire "on the spot"
Good insurance if you have the room to carry one.
Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:41 PM   #13

Road side assistance will come out and may bring a new tire in your size. They may not install it on you aluminium wheel due to the chance of the wheel being damaged in the event of a blowout. They will provide you with a new tire and new steel wheel for a $$$$$$
I carry a spare and it is a 22.5 and weighs the same as me, but road side assistance can deal with it and I don't have to buy a tire "on the spot"
Good insurance if you have the room to carry one.
Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:03 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ever been to Montana?
How long are you willing to wait to connect with someone who can get you close to a cell phone signal?
How long are you willing to wait for a replacement Tire?

Yep this is 2020 but at a minimum in YNP and Glacier there are still areas without cell service of any type and the nearest towns dont have tire shops that stock every possible tire type and size.... I regularly drive to both and there are plenty of places where I have no cell signal even on I-90

Heck I live close to a major city but on the edge of town, even here I get unreliable cell service with my provider T-mobile....

So that would be for you to decide, convenience or inconvenience? Not to mention you said "remote and/or mountainous locations"
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote