Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2018, 08:01 PM   #1

How Long To Get Repairs?

We are newbees so have no background to go on.
It took over 2 months to get an appointment with a dealer/repair facility (We did not buy from them, purchased privately) and after 3 weeks they have not even looked at the rig. Is that normal?
The issue is with the jacks - they work when power is applied directly, but will not work from the panel. I understand what is involved with trouble shooting and that it may take time (and be charged for it) but I wonder if this is "normal" or is it normal for the NE area of the country, but better service is available in the south where we plan on moving in the )somewhat) near future?
Thanks in advance
Ikeshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2018, 08:03 PM   #2

Just about normal. They often blame it on a lack of technicians.
hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:09 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Most frustrating service system I know of, and it sure ain’t cheap. I’ve had similar situations at several different repair locations. Just drives me crazy!
Old 12-17-2018, 08:15 PM   #4

I use a local RV maintenance shop by me, if I can't fix it. Its privately owned and things get done a lot quicker. I don't even think of going to the dealer.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:22 PM   #5

I'd love to find an independent repair facility. How do I find them?
I'll take any advice under consideration.
Thanks
Ikeshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:30 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Yep, normal. Especially when you didn't buy from them. Dealers service their purchasing customers first.

There really aren't enough qualified techs to do RV repairs these days. And with the sad state manufacturers let RV's go out the door, dealers spend a lot of time debugging them. Having an appointment just gets you a spot in their parking lot. Then you'll wait for them to go over it, get an estimate to you, wait for parts and THEN it'll be scheduled for a slot (not actually taken in) for the repairs.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:45 AM   #7

The lack of technicians can be placed squarely back on the dealers in most cases.Training techs is expensive. I was an automotive instructor - NATEF certified program- and approached some of the dealers including some with Several stores about creating a program to train students in Rv repair and service. Cost to the dealers would be minimal-just donating some training aids. Despite my best efforts including writing some of the curriculum for example I could not get any support from the dealers. Despite their interest none of the stores would commit.
hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:06 AM   #8

I feel for you waiting that long.
There are some very good private shops in most areas.
You have to network to find them.
In 50 years I have never taken an rv to a dealer.

Independents are a gem and when you find a good one. Tip them well.

I used the same small independent for airstreams we owned for 25 years.

He retired and moved to Florida after servicing airstreams exclusively for 40 plus years in Northern Ohio. He got you in and out efficiently.

There is also a guy in Crossville Tennessee exclusive to Airstream

Willson rv , sunbury Ohio has been good the past 10 years and is working his son into the business.

Take the time to find and develop a working Relationship with a good mechanic.

Most are well kept secrets.

Learning to troubleshoot and repair your self is vital to survival and a Happy rv life. In my opinion.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:36 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Use a repair only facility. They only make money from service. A selling dealers repair shops are not their bread and butter.

When dropping off the coach give them a must have by date - typically two weeks. Follow up at or before the one week point. Review where they are at on a item by item basis. Remind of the deadline. I call every other day till completed and review item by item each time. Be firm and persustant, but not nasty. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:43 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
rv service sucks

I waited 5 weeks sitting in their lot before they even looked at it. 3 months later it was fixed. It is the most frustrating part of owning an rv. How any business can operate this way and stay in business is amazing. Lack of good repair facilities is how these places get away with it.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:15 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Short of an accident or a major floor or slide tearout there is nothing I can think of I couldn't learn how to fix and repair in three weeks much less three months. If folks would stop supporting the shops that use this "business plan" things would change. I know that ain't gonna happen though so I'll keep on fixing things myself.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:36 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Yep normal. We had an emergency (water line break flooding the coach) and under warranty. Went to a dealer (not or selling dealer) and they said they could look at it in 2 months. Well we live in the coach so that was not going to work and we were 2000 miles from our "dealer". Called the manufacturer and he made arrangements for the local dealer to fix it "tomorrow". Only took 4 days to get it done (driving it back to camp every night) and not done correctly. We ended up going back to the plant in Elkhart to get it done correctly.

With the current coach we return to the Manufacturer (Tiffin) for warranty work and use independent shops for everything else. If i never step foot into a general dealership again it will be too soon.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:43 AM   #13

The saddest thing is that you might only need one small part replaced. This could literally be a 5 minute repair. They build these rigs in hours. Not days. And certainly not months.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:44 AM   #14

Educate yourself. Ask questions here and look on YouTube. There's most likely already a video of someone fixing everything you need fixed already. Watch them and see if it's something you can do. Yes, you paid for warranty. It's just the way it is. Your not going to make any dealer or shop go faster, even if you tell them you have to have to done by a certain date.

Also, don't overthink things. Most things on your rv is so simple to fix. Take pictures as your going. if your working on the jacks, make sure you have sufficient blocking so it won't fall. And don't get under it if it's not protected form falling.

In you case it sounds like you just have abad switch or a bad connection somewhere. it will cost you nothing to start following the wires and verify where they go and if they all have good connections.

Hint...99.9999999999999% of all electrical issues in an rv is due to bad grounds. Always check the ground first for whatever electrical it is that your dealing with.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, repair, repairs