Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2021, 10:31 AM   #1

How many hours/miles per day?

We haven't taken delivery of our new TT yet but I'm already fantasizing about where to go and trips I want to make.

I know pulling a trailer is more stressful than a generic road trip in the car. I know we'll have to stop for gas more often and we'll be driving at lower speeds than in a car.

What does everyone use as a rule of thumb as far as how many hours a day you feel comfortable driving while towing a TT?
Dr. Dolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #2

You'll get answers ranging all over the map on driving times. Many FT'rs/Retired Folks go by the 3-3-3. Drive no more than 3 hours or 300miles, stay 3 days and parked up by 3pm.

In our earlier working years we thought nothing of driving 8 to 12 hours a day in road warrior mode. In the last several years as we went into semi retirement and almost 100% retired, some days we only go an hour up the road, and very odd days, usually on the way home passing all we've seen a million times before, we'll do a 7 to 9 hour day. At 64 today, hubby doesn't care to drive long distances now, and generally we find 2 to 3 hours is long enough provided we are arriving at somewhere to do something. If not, we just have many stops along the route, play some cards, and sometimes he'll even have a nap for an hour and then tootle on some more.

It really is going to be totally up to how you feel about driving and what interests you along the way. To us it's more about the journey than any one set destination nowadays. Twenty+ years ago, it was about getting 22 hours away from the Cold to Las Vegas, or San Diego or whatever our planned destination was. You'll find your groove
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #3

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
At our age (68 & 70 and retired) we find that we leave later, get in earlier, and rest longer. Typically, our first day will add miles with enthusiasm and gets us out of town. About 450 miles. After that we get settled into a pace dependent upon weather (winds, rains, or heat/cold), then traffic and road conditions (rough or winding). At that point, we slow down to 250 miles per day and take as long as needed to get there. Average is about 50 mph with rest and fuel stops.

Also, if you are traveling for the sake of getting to see things and not settling into a campground, you will changed the way you travel (quick to get there and then slow to enjoy it). We switched from a Ford Van towing a travel trailer to a Class C because we wanted to travel more than camp in one location, although the Class C is the closest we can get to a trailer sized vehicle.
SteveNSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:53 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Congrats on your new rig!
IMHO, I think you have to determine one thing before you leave your driveway.....is your trip about the journey or about the destination?

I feel this depends on what part of the country you’re traveling thru and possibly the size and capabilities of your rig and your driving stamina. Some people have no issue driving 8 hours a day, some are wiped out after 3.

I think after some seat time pulling your new rig, you will be able to judge what is comfortable for you, both time and distance. Keep in mind, these numbers will change based on trip conditions; traffic, terrain, wind, rain, etc.

In my younger driving days, I was about the destination. Today, I feel there is a ton to see in this country, therefore, I am now more about the journey.

We are not intimidated by boondocking, so if we don’t make it to a camp ground, no big deal.

Have fun!
Old 03-07-2021, 10:56 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sounds like some consistency in the responses so far....[emoji1365]
Old 03-07-2021, 11:10 AM   #6

For me 6-61/2 hours is fine, 9 if I need to. I have driving from north Georgia to Orlando dropped off a buddies corvette and drove home.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:19 AM   #7

We used to drive insane hours when we were younger, but now with both of us being septuagenarians we generally limit our days to 250 miles+-.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:35 AM   #8

We try to keep it at 250-300 miles a day, if that's possible
Old 03-07-2021, 11:40 AM   #9

200-300 mi. but have been known to do 25-50 mi just to move to another area to explore. We're boondockers or campers on public lands so easy to move on without reservations.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dolittle View Post
We haven't taken delivery of our new TT yet but I'm already fantasizing about where to go and trips I want to make.

I know pulling a trailer is more stressful than a generic road trip in the car. I know we'll have to stop for gas more often and we'll be driving at lower speeds than in a car.

What does everyone use as a rule of thumb as far as how many hours a day you feel comfortable driving while towing a TT?
Do what is needed to have FUN. Could be the 30-50 miles or as much a a Thousand. Do what works for YOU not anyone else.

Big note here is to always Check the Tire Pressure before starting for the day.

Have and know how to change to the Spare, may not happen on the first couple trips but it will Happen, when it's least expected.

After a few trips you will get into a routine, then things just get easier - the biggest issue with every trailer are the tires and the brakes - understand and learn about each.

Welcome and Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:36 PM   #11

Hours/miles per day

I really liked SomeDay's rule of 3s. And as Busskipper says it's about having fun and having fun goes out the window when you or you travelling partner is stressed. I don't know if your new to pulling or not but if so...a few things. Having a tow vehicle that handles your rig with ease and setting up your rig properly increases your confidence. Confidence in your rig and your skills reduces stress. If you are not (even if you are) a seasoned veteran of the road first thing to do with your new rig is get to a wide open unused parking lot and practice turning and backing using only your side mirrors. Take some empty cardboard boxes and set 'em up like a fuel pump or an angled back-in camp spot and practice. Do this alone. Don't take anybody with you. Not even just to watch! Nobody ever got better with somebody behind the trailer. Just get out and look. Even if it's a hundred times. Just get out and look! Your new TT will thank you for it and you stress will decrease a hundred fold. Have fun. If it's 500 mile or 50 if it's fun do it!
rrsutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:46 PM   #12
PKI

Year one - drive til we found a place to stay ..... but a lack of experience and a hesitancy to stop at just any park pushed us to later and later with a few nights in rest areas and non-campground overnights.

Year two - more organized with a 4-500 mile a day target.

Year five/six - organized with backup places to stay each night and a 350 mile day. That gets adjusted up or down slightly depending on what was available along the way and where we want to go.

Year seven - 300-350 mile day and two-three day stays. That is this year or next year as Covid has us on a reduced travel plan that will get pushed some this year.

So, the comment above about you figuring it out works, but I would recommend you approach the "figuring it out" in steps. We did a shake down trip and proved to ourselves we could do 400 mile days. You might try 400, 500, and 600 days to see what it feels like. Assume you will make about 50 miles an hour as an average. A 600 mile day will be around 12 hours. Not everyone can or even wants to travel that far.

We find that 300 miles a day is a nice trip. We mostly just stay a single night and in the past, never had a lot to pack up and get ready to move. We think that will change. If you are the camper sort and unpack lots to get comfortable, multiple nights will be a must do.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:58 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We try to limit our travel to about 300 miles per day, which for us is about 6 hours!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:10 PM   #14

There are far too many variables to know what will work for you. When we were younger, and with two young boys, we usually tried to get on the road by 9 a.m. and we liked to be off the road around 4 p.m. if at all possible. The amount of miles depends on the type of roads you're traveling. Then, you have to factor in restroom stops and fueling stops.

Start conservatively, probably around 350 miles and see how that works out timewise. When you have made a few trips, you'll discover what is preferable, and what is possible if you have to. When the kids were younger, we've done 500 miles to see family, but we preferred to make that a two day trip and make it much more enjoyable.

Now, due to age, a few medical conditions, we keep our distance to 250-300 miles and take our time. When traveling from Ohio to Florida, we do two days of travel, and then take a day off to relax. Fortunately, we can afford it and have plenty of time.

But, not pushing it too hard makes for safer traveling, fewer mistakes when setting up, and helps to avoid flaring tempers due to fatigue!!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote