Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2020, 10:40 AM   #1

How Many Interior Lights Do You Have On?

Maybe it just how I was raised, but it was customary to turn off lights when not in a room. I was frequently reminded that I was not born in a barn.

As an parent I mellowed. I found that leaving a 25 lamp on in a room made it more welcome and less likely I would find 800 watts of lights on in an empty room. Whit more efficient bulbs, 25 watts became 5 watts.

So in the MH, I generally have 3 LED lights on. One in the bath, one in front, and one in the bedroom. About 5 watts!

Other lights are turned on as needed. Since I boondock, I have converted light that use lots of power and I use frequently to LED.

In discussion about LED you hear things like:

"Nice part is they use a tenth of the power... when you have 30 lights in your rig that can really add up!"

So my question is what is customary for interior lights when just sitting around at night?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2020, 11:42 AM   #2

With 400 watts of solar panels on the roof, I don't worry too much about 5 or 10 watts of LED lights left on around the coach, though if boondocking I may pay more attention to it.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:44 AM   #3

I put 2 lines of 300smd strings along both side walls and they are dimmable. If more light is needed, then the overhead or over the chair, couch, kitchen table go on as needed.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:48 AM   #4

I have 840 Watts of solar panels, 400 amps of lithium iron batteries, all LED bulbs, and I boondock most of the time. But the only lights I have on are what it takes to allow me to do what I need to do at the moment.

theboondork.com
theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:07 PM   #5

We just turned on lights as needed. Never used strings of outside lights.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We just turned on lights as needed. Never used strings of outside lights.

Same here....

Turn light on as needed
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
In discussion about LED you hear things like:

"Nice part is they use a tenth of the power... when you have 30 lights in your rig that can really add up!"

So my question is what is customary for interior lights when just sitting around at night?
Hey, I resemble that comment

I no longer worry about lights and the power they take since it is so low with LEDs. Even LED TVs require little power. Now if only DISH would reduce the power the Wally takes I would be happy.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:04 PM   #8

What is customary.......? Clueless in that statement.

I put all in in hotel rooms all the time. Same in rv. I like it lit up. Only on shore power though.
Bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:13 PM   #9

In the S&B with incandescent bulbs it was about heat as well. We'd be trying to air condition the house, and I'd walk around the house and find lights on all over the place. Leave the lights on in the master bedroom and bath, and we'd have 8 little 60 watt heaters going. It wasn't unusual to come home after work, when nobody had been here all day, and find all 13 bulbs burning in the living room / kitchen area -- 780 watts of heat going all day while air conditioning the house.

I finally decided, though, that if that's the biggest problem I've got, I'm doing OK. I will turn lights off as I walk through the house, but I'm over worrying about it.

Same with the RV. If they're left on for no apparent reason, so be it.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:24 PM   #10

Just like at home, we only turn on lights as needed. We go into a dark room, we turn on the light,,, turn it off on the way out.

I admit that I'm cheap but I do splurge at times. I usually hang our 25 year old string of owl lights under the edge of the awning. But I still unplug them at bedtime because at 7 watts each, that 49 watts adds up!
Old 01-09-2020, 02:52 PM   #11

Only lights that are being used and we only have led everywhere.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:13 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My coach has so many multiplex switches and electronics running, I don't need any lights. When I get up late at night for one of my three bathroom runs and I can see everything in coach.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:34 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Turn on as you need them. AT night when going to bed then a small LED night light in the bathroom and kitchen so you can see if you get up at night.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:50 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I changed the hallway night light to a VERY small LED that you don't even notice in daylight and leave it on all the time.

It probably takes less power than a smart watch.

It stays on even when we boondock.

We only have 340 watts of solar, but we get along just fine.

Saving on energy is just what we both were brought up with, so we do fine even with only 300 AH of batteries.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior, light, lights