Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: How important is a TPMS?
Must have 226 62.43%
nice to have 88 24.31%
ok to have 15 4.14%
not important to have, Use traditional tire guage 33 9.12%
Voters: 362. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2019, 08:47 AM   #57

Eez tire system past 3 years on toad also great for piece on mind
stew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2019, 08:51 AM   #58

Did I miss something here?......Don't think anyone said that a monitor would add air......And if your tires stay at ....lbs, let us know what brand you're using....I want those!........They are just like any other gauge...once you get a baseline, psi and temp, it's very easy to tell if ok or not....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:20 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
My RV tires are monitor every day I check the air pressure before we leave and rub my hand over the inside and outside of the tires looking for bulges. The air pressure is adjusted according to the morning day time temps, the tires are kept at 80PSI. A TPMS system will not do this!
Uhhh.... I don't think anyone said that a TPMS would do that. Checking like that before driving should be part of your regular daily startup routine! But what about once you're on the road? A TPMS will let you know when/if trouble starts back there. Trust me, I know from experience!

Roger
Old 01-28-2019, 12:51 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I believe the biggest benefit to TPMS is that it keeps folks from constantly checking the air pressure manually. Every time you check them, or worse add air, there is a big chance of a leak.

Tire valves are notorious for leaking after checking them. The caps don't seal them up either and your checking them caused the leak and resulting tire failure.
Get a pack of these. Double seal and no need to remove them for a quick check.

Alligator V2B Inflate Through Valve Stem Cap Gator Auto RV Semi (10 Pack) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B014VCY3..._SZ1tCb96CQVY8
LPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:15 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPerry View Post
Get a pack of these. Double seal and no need to remove them for a quick check.

Alligator V2B Inflate Through Valve Stem Cap Gator Auto RV Semi (10 Pack) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B014VCY3..._SZ1tCb96CQVY8
It says O ring seal. Are they impervious to dust being pushed in with a dirty air chuck ?

Are they guaranteed to never leak ?

Just another gimmick, that I don't need.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:50 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
It says O ring seal. Are they impervious to dust being pushed in with a dirty air chuck ?

Are they guaranteed to never leak ?

Just another gimmick, that I don't need.
Suit yourself.
I'm told they are in common use by truckers for a long time. The design is such that dirt doesn't get into the seal surfaces. I have one on a yard truck with no valve core (damaged stem) for a couple years now with no leaks. It's nice on duallies not to reach in and pull a cap off with every pressure check.
LPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:11 PM   #63

TST here wont leave home without it, after tearing up the fender on a car hauler twice and loosing 1 license plate, plus a few flats I caught by doing crazy ivans, way better having the thing beep at low pressure.

One flat was on one of the hottest days of the year and just passed a guy changing a tire on the other side of the highway said to the wife sucks to be him....didnt get 5 miles and it was my turn.

Caught a leaking valve stem last year and a sticking caliper the year before, did smell the caliper but when in heavy traffic you hope it the other guy.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:32 PM   #64
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Definitely would not travel without a TPMS!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:08 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought a Tire Minder system years ago and it is pretty limited in it's usefulness. If I'm driving down the highway and it's hot out and I run into a good rainstorm, the rapid cooling of the tires triggers the alarm. What good is that? Paid a lot of money for it too.
The manual even says it is a known issue and is "normal".
The only blowout I've ever had was years in my old pickup, during a rainstorm. So I get a bit unnerved when the stupid alarm goes off and it turns out to be a false alert. Has happened several times.
I'm not sure I'd buy another system, unless the technology has improved substantially.
It is useful for checking pressures from the driver's seat though before a trip, although the accuracy is always about 2-3lbs off from what it is if I check it with my digital tire gauge.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:29 AM   #66
Community Moderator

We have the Tireminder for the Road Warrior for 6 tires. My #5 tire would go off showing low temp and what I found out was a bad battery. But other than this issue it is good for us.
It can read temps and pressure in rotating from tire to tire. Me I would not leave without it, I have a friend that has one on his unit and it did tell him about tire damage before it blew so he could pull off.
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:05 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
Uhhh.... I don't think anyone said that a TPMS would do that. Checking like that before driving should be part of your regular daily startup routine! But what about once you're on the road? A TPMS will let you know when/if trouble starts back there. Trust me, I know from experience!

Roger
That's why I do not like the TPMS for tires. No one will take the time to check their tires on any vehicle and they rely on the monitor to do this for them.

By the time you get a warning the tire has already been stress too much especially on a trailer tire, by under inflation.

I also monitor my tires every two hours when I am towing. I use an IFR gun to check the tire temps, wheel hub temps and brake temps on both vehicles when we pull in to a rest stop. I have never had a tire issue when checking my tires doing this and I have been doing this for almost 40 + years.

Case in point I had my (young to me) neighbor asked me what I was doing to my tires in the summer on both of my vehicles! I informed him that I was checking the air pressure and also to see if the tires had any surface checking and hairline side wall cracks. He stated why did I not use the TPMS in both vehicles to monitor the tires. I shook my head and said this is not good enough for me.

I have a shop air compressor in the garage so, I can air my tires and check the air pressure on my vehicle tires monthly, which I do.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:44 AM   #68

Quote:
That's why I do not like the TPMS for tires. No one will take the time to check their tires on any vehicle and they rely on the monitor to do this for them.

By the time you get a warning the tire has already been stress too much especially on a trailer tire, by under inflation.
My TPMS (and probably most) will let you set the pressure that will trigger the alarm, which if one weighs their rig, and consults the tire load/inflation tables, can be set to warn you before the tire is stressed too much.
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:08 AM   #69

Quote:

I also monitor my tires every two hours when I am towing. I use an IFR gun to check the tire temps, wheel hub temps and brake temps on both vehicles when we pull in to a rest stop. I have never had a tire issue when checking my tires doing this and I have been doing this for almost 40 + years.
You're welcome to your opinion. But I disagree. You're implying that using a TPMS will give you a false sense of security. Up to you. But as for me, experience tells me how important my TPMS is.

I don't go as all-out as you do, but I do check my tire pressures every day before traveling, and do visual checks at every stop. Your methods would NOT have caught the flat I had last year. Picked up a piece of road debris right through the tread of my trailer's rear tire, just as I entered the on-ramp of I95. Without the pressure loss alert while I was still on the on-ramp, I would have been happily tripping along at highway speeds on I95, probably until it shredded, or the front tire gave out.

In short, my TPMS saved me hundreds if not thousands of $$$ in damage, and may have saved our lives.

Thanks, I'll use mine. I said before in this thread, why would anyone NOT use such a powerful tool as a TPMS?

Roger
Old 01-29-2019, 10:16 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
Y

Thanks, I'll use mine. I said before in this thread, why would anyone NOT use such a powerful tool as a TPMS?

Roger
I could give you a concise answer but that would hurt some peoples feelings and that's not nice. Because they are #######, %%%%%%%, and most importantly ??????????.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor, tire pressure