Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2020, 02:08 PM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
Our rig is 25 years old now. We bought it when it was 7 years old. Now has 107,000 miles.

It will run another 25 years at our usage rate if the smog police stay out of the way.

No rust caused by coastal location or rust belt.

Very little shop time thus far. No major repairs thus far.

Biggest mistake was buying a home recently that will not accommodate a work space for tinkering on the old girl.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2020, 02:42 PM   #30

Absolutely, I agree with you 100 percent

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0arp View Post
Exactly. It's also nobody's business how I spend my money. I won't let this turn into a full rant, but it takes more than two hands to count how many people have commented on how we "won't make our money back" on our modifications. NSS.
You know how many people have told me that "I will never see our money back"? A lot.

Just like you they tell me that I was "foolish" to spend the kind of money I did for things like my solar, suspension upgrades to make my coach ride better and be more stable on the road, audio/DVD upgrades for enjoying music and movies, navigation, blue tooth audio and hands free calling, backup proximity sensors, front and rear HD cameras, new compressor refrigerator that doesn't need leveling , state of charge monitoring system, active tire pressure monitoring and a brand new generator. All told, it's thousands of dollars, I say, SO WHAT! Yeah, I could be more colorful here with language, but, I have to keep it PC for the forum.

Yeah, all of this was really expensive stuff, however, my question to all of them is this;

"What price to you place on your safety, security and enjoyment of your coach?

In the end, your driving and using it and if that makes you feel more confident in using it, then so be it. If they want to drive around in some primitive functioning "flivver" that doesn't have all of these safety features and comforts, that's their decision not mine. Good luck to them.

As far as I'm concerned hands free calling and on board Garmin navigation is worth it's weight in gold. Plus all of the other stuff for convenience and comfort.

If you don't want to spend the money on an RV that has fully functioning systems, maybe your shouldn't even be driving one in the first place and just take your car and stay in hotels.

No one ever said that RV's are inexpensive. This picture is a 1910 Pierce Arrow Touring Landau that sold for $7,500 in 1910, it is considered to be the first RV, and by today's price would be close to $200,000 adjusted for inflation.
Attached Images

MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:12 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeiner View Post
SO, how old is your RV and will you keep it until it's service life is over?
Service life is in direct proportion to how you maintain your RV. And, it usually shows. While at Henderson's Line-up in Oregon, the tech commented he had just finished working on this really really old 1999 DP. When my wife told him our coach, the one he is currently working on, is a 99 he couldn't believe it!

So, I expect the service life of my 21 year old coach to be decades ... and why wouldn't be.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:01 PM   #32

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
But, someday, people won't even be driving their own cars (unless they want to pay the insurance) for that privilege and it will be so prohibitively expensive you might not want to do it. Computer controlled driver less cars will eventually be here and insurance companies will rightly conclude that the computer has BETTER judgement than people do.

Hopefully, I am gone by then. If I cannot drive it myself, I have no interest in owning it or riding in it.

As per the original question, DP's can last a lifetime. Gassers may not.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:51 PM   #33

We bought our 07 a year ago. It had 30,000 miles and had been garage kept since new. We made the normal upgrades and replaced the tires. It is stored in a heated garage when not in use and it's also my hobby. I love to do all maintenance and modifications myself. We are hoping to get 10 - 15 years out of it.
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:56 PM   #34

I hope you know that I don't have a gasoline engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
But, someday, people won't even be driving their own cars (unless they want to pay the insurance) for that privilege and it will be so prohibitively expensive you might not want to do it. Computer controlled driver less cars will eventually be here and insurance companies will rightly conclude that the computer has BETTER judgement than people do.

Hopefully, I am gone by then. If I cannot drive it myself, I have no interest in owning it or riding in it.

As per the original question, DP's can last a lifetime. Gassers may not.
My 2012 RS Adventurous is built on a 2011 Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500, 1 ton vehicle with dual wheels.

I really don't think I'll be around when all this social change will occur, but, I definitely think it's coming. First driverless trucks which are being tested actively right now.

And, electric cars eventually will become the normal way to drive.

The biggest problem with electric cars are the range and charging platforms, in my opinion. They need to be standardized.
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:08 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hopefully another 10 years

We are hoping for 10 years. With proper maintenance we expect to make it.

Have a great repair facility in Arizona, private little guy, hope he is still there next winter.

Have access to a good repair place in Manitoba when we are here.

Most smaller maintenance items I can do myself.

Terry & Pat
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:16 PM   #36

We paid cash for our 2002 DP last year with only 45k miles. Previous owner took great care of it and did many expensive upgrades. I’m 60 and plan to make it last until I’m too old to drive it or maintain it, (20 years?) then one of my kids will inherit it. Building an RV port for it next month.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:27 PM   #37

I think how long a RV will last depends on the quality of the RV and how well it's taken care of - both inside and out. Keep the maintenance up and keep it waxed.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:18 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bought a new 2020 Newmar Canyon Star!
And at 73, this damn thing better outlast me!
Seriously, I am almost "OCD" about it, so reality, it should last til I can't use it anymore, and then last as long as the "kids" want to use it, after inheritance!
The plan is to enjoy it and travel as long as I am physically & mentally able to do so! There's a lot to see in this beautiful country, in which we live!

Now...GO AWAY COVID 19! Let us travel again!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:15 AM   #39

We bought our coach in 2016 in cash, made a bunch of repairs and loaded it with our stuff and will wear this baby out. The ODO has just under 20k miles so it should last us a while.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:20 AM   #40

They only die when you let em’
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:48 AM   #41

So very true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
They only die when you let em’
Mine is 21 and we are only the second owner.
No need to update.
Just maintain.

500hp ISM
Electric heated tile floors
42 ft. Tag
Aqua hot deluxe
Single slide.
Side radiator, love
North south bed.
Lift and full access to Engine and transmission

Wife doesn't want anymore area to clean.

The grandchildren are very happy [emoji3059]Click image for larger version

Name:	20200405_145833.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	282762Click image for larger version

Name:	20200323_185246.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	282763Click image for larger version

Name:	20200402_105103.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	282764Click image for larger version

Name:	20200402_092623.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	282765
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:59 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you service/maintain it correctly it will last as long as you want it to.
But most tire of or have excuses to get rid vehicles way before its service life is over. Or don't maintain it.