Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2018, 05:22 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
I read an article today from a paper in Wyoming regarding Yellowstone and Tetons.. If I can find the link I will post it. Basically said the parks will be open but no one will be manning the gates. Most of the internal stuff including grooming of the roads are run by concessionaires and they will continue to do what they do (collect $'s). They did say that emergency services involving NPS personnel would possibly be delayed.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2018, 07:04 PM   #44

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a copy of the BLM plans for shutdown drafted after the last shutdown. I downloaded it from the Dept of the Interior website. The BLM website has been shut down for now.

Furlough's will cause some disruption me thinks.

2018-03-blm-contingency-plan.pdf
Old 12-23-2018, 06:46 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
I have a 20 something niece on a once in a lifetime have to enter a lottery to get picked to raft through some part the Grand Canyon that normally doesn't allow rafters.

She is already on the river and supposed to be in or on the river for 27 days.

We sent here a Christmas card that will get delivered to their base camp on Christmas Eve by mule.

There are going to be some angry adventures if this trip gets cut short.

I'm getting tired of politicians, all of them, playing games with our lives.
Once you're in the Canyon, you're in the Canyon. There's only one place (within reason) for people to come out and they can't take the rafts and equipment up Bright Angel. Everything has to go to Diamond Creek or Lake Mead. I doubt they would be asked to leave once they have departed from Lee's Ferry.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Old 12-23-2018, 07:45 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Lots of people hitting the road to get to the relative's house to celebrate the holidays. It's going to be busy out there over the weekend. Take care and give everyone a brake. You can make a difference.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Old 12-24-2018, 08:31 PM   #47
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Once you're in the Canyon, you're in the Canyon. There's only one place (within reason) for people to come out and they can't take the rafts and equipment up Bright Angel. Everything has to go to Diamond Creek or Lake Mead. I doubt they would be asked to leave once they have departed from Lee's Ferry.
She sent a message to her dad today with her satellite beacon thingy, made him happy. She's got 23 more days on the river. Those 3 sheets of toilet paper I stuck in her Christmas card should come in handy right about now.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:46 AM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
She sent a message to her dad today with her satellite beacon thingy, made him happy. She's got 23 more days on the river. Those 3 sheets of toilet paper I stuck in her Christmas card should come in handy right about now.
Outstanding. I can't think of a better way to spend Christmas and New Years.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Old 12-27-2018, 03:54 PM   #49

Government shutdown

During the last government shutdown, my wife and I were volunteering in a National Park. All guests were asked to leave and all staff and volunteers were dismissed. Some of the volunteers were fulltimers and had no place to go. We were the last to leave, locked the gate and turned in the keys.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:06 PM   #50

Will the Government shut down a fact dry camping on BLM land in Quartzsite?
Old 12-27-2018, 04:54 PM   #51

We were not going to cancel our trip, so worst case scenario we would be calling some audibles. We are traveling through the California Redwood Forest and have been to one national park that was operating normally. No issues or bumps in the road so far. Hopefully the second half of the trip goes smoothly too.

Other than our water pump is leaking now, so that'll need to be replaced.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:17 PM   #52

How may government shutdown effect RV'rs at National Parks?

I volunteer in the park system surrounding Las Vegas and went in today to see what conditions were like. Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Park just West of Las Vegas, along with Lake Mead National Park to the East, are open. I’m unsure how the closure is impacting services at Lake Mead but Red Rock has the vast majority of roads open with NO services. Restrooms are locked. The campground, which has no electric, water or sewer connections, is open but the restrooms are locked. I’ve not been into the campground today, I was at the park, and was told the conditions are deteriorating quickly. The line of cars on the highway trying to enter the 13 mile scenic loop was almost a mile long and that is without people having to stop and pay at the fee station. Cars were visible at every scenic point and the loop was pretty much bumper to bumper but traffic was moving.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:03 PM   #53

Shutdown

We were on our way home and planned to stay at a beautiful army corps of engineers park in Georgia and as we pulled in the worker at the gate came running out ant told us that we could not pull in as she was closing the gate. She told us that all the campers that were in the park would have to be out by noon the next day. That was the last shutdown a few years ago. We continued north to the blue ridge parkway and went to a restaurant overlooking the mountains on the parkway. While we were having lunch the manager was taking diner reservations and announced that he was not going to close. Just as we were leaving officers arrived and announced the restaurant would be closing immediately. That was the effect that the last shut down had on our travels. Luckily for us we had made reservations at private campgrounds for the remainder of our trip so we had no further problems.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:05 PM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
There are volunteers, not NPS volunteers but fans of the parks, doing things like bagging and removing trash from overflowing bins and cleaning restrooms. One guy posted that he had stocked 500 rolls of toilet paper at Joshua Tree NP vault toilets over the last few days (flushies are closed). This is obviously unsustainable. The desert parks in the southwest have their busiest seasons right around Christmas and the first week or two of January.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:26 PM   #55

Nat Pk Closures?

I believe the Great Smoky Mtn. Nat, Pk. in Tennessee and N.C. has such a large pool of volunteers and financial supporters, called "Friends of the Smokies). that they will remain open except for certain maintanence jobs. Momcat
Old 12-27-2018, 11:53 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just us 2 View Post
Will the Government shut down a fact dry camping on BLM land in Quartzsite?
No, it will be fine.
Closed Thread