Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2020, 11:11 AM   #15

Budget? I fill up with fuelin the TV. refuel when needed (currently 200 miles*sigh*).

Some weekends we stock/prepare food and beverages before the trip. We ensure full propane and generator fuel.

After that, some trips we spend nothing. Others we will spend $1000.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2020, 11:26 AM   #16

Foretravel Owners Club
South Dakota Full Timers..We figure no more than $2,600 per month "All In"
This includes Everything from food,fuel,camp costs, insurance (both vehicle & health)out of state fishing license(s),prescriptions, and any repairs or updates to rigs..
Rarely do We dine out, & do our shopping every 2 weeks to once a month..And supplement our freezer with game as often as I get a chance..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200630_101313.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	446.3 KB
ID:	292629   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200622_082126.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	398.6 KB
ID:	292630  

SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:37 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Budget ? yes we have one and since I'm retired I have time to track spending. It's a Hobby my DW hates Ea day I put those broken out expenses in the spreadsheet that compares it monthly to the planned budget
The truth is everybody is Vastly different. Posting my budget will get nothing but people who swear they do it on WAY less and I'm crazy. I may be but I didn't retire to full time to save$ I'm out to see it all and more.... Those who do post budgets ,and there are several on you tube etc , Get lots of not so nice comments along with the mostly good ones.
If we are in full travel mode moving almost every day we burn 300 a day easy in food Fuel and space rent. Of course a week of that and we are across the country! Other than Fuel We "budget 1200 a month for food .. eating out a lot. I retired and so did the cook or so I was informed.
Expenses don't change much , what do you spend now? Figure your fuel per mile avg (how far are you going?) and your food budget now. add in you style of Camp from "0" to 80 bucks and attractions if any and you've got it.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:00 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We don't keep track of what we spend for our RVing. As others have said we do it for the fun of it. Keeping track would take the fun out of it. However, a ballpark number is $100-$150 a day.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:37 PM   #19

Full-timers can live comfortably on $30,000 - $40,000/year including absolutely everything. . vehicle insurance, medical insurance, camping, fuel, groceries, activities, dining out, etc. Some do if for less and some a lot more.

Google RV budgets and you can get an idea what others spend.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:42 PM   #20

I'm not keeping a spreadsheet for this, but, sounds pretty consistent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
We don't keep track of what we spend for our RVing. As others have said we do it for the fun of it. Keeping track would take the fun out of it. However, a ballpark number is $100-$150 a day.
Even though it's not much fun, it's good to have an idea on what it all costs.

A budget, even a rough order of magnitude, is a great planning tool. If you don't know what your daily cost is, it's harder to plan a really long excursion.

Fortunately, we're getting between 18-19 MPG and we didn't stay in RV parks the whole time. I estimated the fuel to be just under $2,000 covering 11,000 miles, in 90 days.

A lot of this trip was either staying in one location or boon docking.

The remainder of the expenses was food, accomodations, and other expenses. I didn't include expenses for admission to special attractions or souvenirs we picked up along the way.
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:51 PM   #21

We full time and do alot of volunteer work in exchange for a camp site. We put almost everything on a credit card for a total of about $20k/year, which works out to be $55/day average expense.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:12 PM   #22

Yep, everybody spends a different amount because each of us has a different amount we can spend. When I was getting ready to retire, or I should say deciding whether I should retire or should keep working, (I retired at age 53 and 13 days. I regret wasting the 2 weeks) I spent 3 years tracking all our expenses. Everything was tracked, house, boat, cars, everything. I averaged all that out and it looked like we'd have about $100 per day to spend during the 6 months we'd be in the MH each year.

For the first 2 years I tracked the expenses in the MH. Some days we burn $150 in fuel and $50 for a spot to park. Other days we parked for $15 and didn't move for a week. But in the end, we wound up spending under our available amount during that time.

Now that we're 10 years into retirement, I'm much more comfortable with the amount of money available and what unexpected expenses we might face and don't track things nearly as closely. If we had an additional $50 per day to spend, I'm sure we'd find something to do with it. If we had $30 a day less to spend, we'd find a way to live with that too. As it is we live comfortably and don't sweat the small stuff.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:55 AM   #23

We are not full timers. I start the year with the anticipated travel and cost, compare this to our discretionary funds, and adjust as necessary. Here's a neat quote from another thread:

"Buying a motorhome to save money on travel is like buying a boat to save money on fish"
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:51 AM   #24

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post

"Buying a motorhome to save money on travel is like buying a boat to save money on fish"

I guess those that have both an MH and nice boat end up saving a ton of money.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:02 PM   #25
IC2

I can't 'justify' food costs while traveling with our RV since we eat the same at home or traveling so it only include a CG, fuel for the tow vehicle as well as any admission cost for non-National Parks since my Golden Age pass is still good. We seldom buy knick knacks so there is no cost there. Sooo, per day, 30-35 gallons of diesel fuel is about 75 +/- bucks in the Northeast and CGs are 40-50 dollars per night (boondocking in the NE is Walmart, Pilot/FJ or a rest stop and we wont do that). That puts a big hole in a Ben and a Grant.

With that said - I don't keep track, only pay the credit cards when we get home. This yeaar, it's just the cost of a 5 month seasonal site and 225 miles of fuel/week @18 mpg no trailer
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:26 PM   #26

You think???

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Full-timers can live comfortably on $30,000 - $40,000/year including absolutely everything. . vehicle insurance, medical insurance, camping, fuel, groceries, activities, dining out, etc. Some do if for less and some a lot more.

Google RV budgets and you can get an idea what others spend.
What about repairs??? Hey, I don't know what your rig is, but, NO, I don't agree with you that $30,000 is enough.
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeiner View Post
What about repairs??? Hey, I don't know what your rig is, but, NO, I don't agree with you that $30,000 is enough.
Well.... It's prudent to have a repair slush fund just in case. However, we never had a repair in 8 yr. with our 40' Newmar... just maintenance.

Just Google 'Budgets for Full-Timers' and there are many variations:

https://www.rv-dreams.com/fulltimingbudgets.html

2017 - End of Year Expense Report - Here and There

Ourselves, we live very simply and always have during our lifetime. Paid cash for everything except home in younger years. When that was paid off not a debt moving forward.

When we sold the 2500 sq ft. lake house to go full-timing the money was put away for our 'exit' plan, as all full-timers should have some kind of safety net.

We volunteered for national and state parks but only half a year average. The majority of time we boondocked on public land or used public campgrounds.... rarely a RV park. We had the Senior Pass which gave us 1/2 off on the site.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWeiner View Post
On average, what's your daily budget for food, fuel, RV park or something while you are traveling on the road???

Maybe your fuel is less expensive and your accomodations are more expensive and vice versa.

Do you even have a budget for this????

Is it even important?
We don't really budget, but I do track expenses, sort of as a game.
Our trips are sometimes a month, sometimes 8-10 weeks. We are on the move a lot, averaging 3 nights per stop. So we burn a lot of diesel. That's our biggest expense.
If we stay at mainly rv parks we're around $150/ day.
When we mix in some boondocking, that knocks it down to about $115/day.
Our lowest was $85/ day when staying mainly at Corp of Engineer parks.
JK
Jkjavelin is offline   Reply With Quote