Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #1

How much does it carry? Dagnabbit

An ad flashing at the bottom of the page caught my attention. It was from Leisure Travel Vans (the manufacturer) and their new Unity murphy bedded model. As I expressed interest in the multiple uses of MH space in a thread I started, I contacted them via email and by phone. We watched their video about the Unity and liked what we saw except it looked to be riding low to the ground. I'm really good at reading specs and locating info but could not find how much this MH could carry. I contacted them and asked a simple question. How much can it carry? It took a week back and forth. Bottom line? 410 pounds! That's allowing for each of us to weigh 156 pounds. I didn't bother to ask about weight distribution since there was no point. They have air bags installed standard too.

So I went over to the Winnebago site and looked at the View Profile based on the exact same chassis. No murphy bed but they added a rear bed slide as standard. Same problem though. No info on carrying capacity. I called Winnebago and spoke with Wanda Hill. She did not have the info immediately but promised to call me back. Twenty minutes later the call came and I was told 1380 pounds with all options. I asked about weight distribution and she admitted to not having that information. She stated if the info wasn't available they would weigh a completed model.

This is what they sent via email.

Winnebago View Profile 524G

GCWR5 (lbs.) 15,250 GVWR (lbs.) 11,030 GAWR - Front (lbs.) 4,410 GAWR - Rear (lbs.) 7,720

The unit with all options and full of fuel would be

Front 3350 lbs
Rear 6300 lbs

That's a big difference from the Unity by Leisure Travel Vans. I can actually carry my scooter on the back without an issue. If you look at the axle capacity front and rear you see that it must be the tires limiting the weight carrying capacity not the chassis.

I think some companies are hiding DESIGN issues. Not so Winnebago.

WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2011, 05:56 AM   #2

My first impression is to say that I want some of the meds that the rep from Winnebago is taking because these numbers have to be from a universe far, far away; where diesel fuel cost about .23/gallon, where campgrounds are never full and manufacturers stand behind their products instead of suing customers, where no one lets a smoky fire burn, where generators are never used, where owners stay with their dogs, where the boarder guards are not always crabby and where the only thing you hear during your pm nap is the distant soft laughter of children playing, the very,very distant laughter of children playing on an ever so soft breeze of 80* air with a dewpoint of 50*can you hear the plink of the flag clips on the pole, the drone of the hummingbird at the feeder outside your window..........
My reason, our old Lt van conversion on the Sprinter single rears did not even have anywhere near that capacity and it was a factory body not fiberglass with a slide.
Hope I am wrong.
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:19 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
It appears that you do not have enough info at this point to come to any conclusions. You need to know the actual weights on each axle of a production unit, then subtract those weighed numbers from the front and rear axle ratings you have listed above to see what carrying capacity remains on each axle.

Of course you will have to subtract fuel, propane and people weight also.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoon View Post
It appears that you do not have enough info at this point to come to any conclusions. You need to know the actual weights on each axle of a production unit, then subtract those weighed numbers from the front and rear axle ratings you have listed above to see what carrying capacity remains on each axle.

Of course you will have to subtract fuel, propane and people weight also.

The weight at each axle is listed in my post. The axle carrying capacity is listed as well. Look again. That's the WINNEBAGO numbers of an actual manufactured motorhome at each axle. The axles are strong enough. It's the tires can't hold any more weight than the maximum rating.

After a WEEK of asking I finally had gotten the weight info on the Unity. I know why it took a week. This Unity cannot carry enough for a week much less a long trip. I wasn't asking a DEALER being asked for this information. I was asking the MANUFACTURER.

Here's a sticker for the Unity. Do you weigh 154 pounds? If not start subtracting from the 410 pound limit. Don't bother hooking up a trailer either. 500 lb tongue load? How?

This is not about which is better. This is about information you NEED not being readily available. It took me a week for simple info.

They have a video of JIM AND PAT and their new Unity. They moved from a 40 footer to this? Do you actually think that Jim knows how little he can carry? I don't.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Of course, from that 1380 on the View Profile you also have to subtract the weight of water, propane, and passengers. I didn't look up the Winnebago capacities, but using the same numbers as the Unity gives you (1380 - 443 - 57 - 308) which equals a CCC of 572# .

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #6

Winnebago's numbers are calculated exactly like everyone else. You don't have to subtract anything.

How many times do I have to say that this is not about which is better? It's not about who can carry more. I made comments about the Unity capacity because of how long it took for an answer. It was an obvious stall.

Even Winnebago's site does not list the cargo capacity. I had to ask and they had to research it.

One of the first things company manuals state is to not overload. Both GVWR AND front and rear axle capacities. If they ALL insist upon this, they should be stating the info needed. Who cares how much the chassis can carry? It means nothing.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
WOODYDEL: Everything you said just reinforced my opinion about "downsizing".

Many people don't realize what they've gotten themselves into. A friend downsized last year, this year they have a 35' Class A. Took a financial bloodbath. They live two blocks away and the whining "If I had only known" is relentless.

Not implying all those little buggers are bad. Being 6'2" I couldn't use one.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:26 AM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Ok - what if we hook hyrogen / helium balloons to everything - not enough to lift the wheels off the ground, but to relieve the excess weight?

Sitting here debating with myself about whether or not to post - I have a somewhat warped sense of humour.

Seriously, it would be nice if the manufacturers lived in the real world. People are pack rats and will try to bring everything that they (we) have in the stick house.

Downsizing is difficult if not impossible.

Could someone invent scales that fit on the axles, chassis, pin, etc., and scales that are built into the steps so you also know what you and your passengers weigh?
Old 04-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Winnebago's numbers are calculated exactly like everyone else. You don't have to subtract anything.
I don't think that's the case, Woodydel. The feds changed the weight calculation formula awhile back and the Unity is still using the old method, called CCC. The new method, called OCCC, yields a significantly great carrying capacity, but that capacity has to cover passengers and water as well as personal gear.

Either Unity did not get the word on the new weight label, or that's a pre-June, 2008 model.

Winnie gave you the capacity as defined by OCCC GVWR minus the unloaded chassis weight, right off the scales. [The propane tank is supposed to be full when they weigh it, but that's not much weight anyway.] That is a large number than the Unity, which did the same unloaded weight thing but then further subtracted the weight for occupants (SCWR) and Water.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I don't think that's the case, Woodydel. The feds changed the weight calculation formula awhile back and the Unity is still using the old method, called CCC. The new method, called OCCC, yields a significantly great carrying capacity, but that capacity has to cover passengers and water as well as personal gear.

Either Unity did not get the word on the new weight label, or that's a pre-June, 2008 model.

Winnie gave you the capacity as defined by OCCC GVWR minus the unloaded chassis weight, right off the scales. [The propane tank is supposed to be full when they weigh it, but that's not much weight anyway.] That is a large number than the Unity, which did the same unloaded weight thing but then further subtracted the weight for occupants (SCWR) and Water.
I'll take the time tomorrow to ask Wanda what they did. No more guess work. Take a look at the axle ratings. They are very good numbers. They will hold more than the rated maximum capacity. I think that's Mercedes watching out for us.

Again, the PROBLEM I'm talking about is the DIFFICULTY getting any straight answers about cargo capacity. Everyone uses water, gas and gasoline/diesel fuel. Sure, I can play the stupid game of "20 Questions" to get the useful answers I'm looking for but that's a ridiculous situation. Notice Winnebago states "with all options" and "full of fuel". Having to second guess what that is "supposedly" meaning is plain dumb. Unity's numbers suck either way. Notice I typed "we liked what we saw" in the Unity. So this is not a bashing post.

My opinion about the "government" intervention is the government can't run itself so stay away from the RV's. We don't need them. Seem like a bunch of useless jerks. They couldn't even get the MPG right. For years!

Just curious. Can you live/travel on 410 pounds and do you weigh 154 pounds? I can't and I don't not since I entered the Marine Corps.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:17 AM   #11

Woody, you are being too kind to the rv industry. It isn't even about who can carry more, its about who can even fully use the coach for its intended purpose and not be criminally liable for exceeding limits.

There really are many manufacturers that should be either doing time or refunding an awful lot of money to people who have been, shall we say, duped....
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I don't usually defend gov't intervention, but in this case I think mandating a standardized weight label is a good thing. It goes to the heart of what you are saying - RV manufacturers should provide accurate weight information without having to pull teeth to get it or decode strange formulas. The OCCC is simple to understand and the label is required to be posted in plain sight on the coach or trailer.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote