Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2005, 06:44 PM   #15

To me, the motorhome versus fifth wheel debate is really about what you want to drive. For me, I enjoy driving a truck so the fifth wheel is a natural. Since I want the truck anyway, a trailer is cheaper to buy (usually) but definitely cheaper to maintain. Of course I'm maintaining the truck too but I use it daily. The smaller rigs will most likely get old real fast. However, if you have a decent tow vehicle now, a small cheap used trailer would give you a chance at trying it out and could probably be sold for the same as you paid for it in a year or so. Just make sure it is already several years old and only costs a few thousand. Then you'll know if you like traveling this way and you can decide from there.

2005 Ford F350 Diesel
The Sequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2005, 04:04 AM   #16

The wife and I recently bought a "vintage" '84 Toyota 21 footer. We rented a 23 footer last fall and found, after the inital trama of driving something that big, that we might like RVing. Our Toyota is in excellent shape generally, especially for its age. We will probably have some extensive roof work done on it soon.

We bought it to chase our daughter's college soccer team. The idea is to leave the night before a game, camp somewhere, see the local sites, watch the game, see some more sites and go home. We don't envision staying a week or so at a campground.

The bed is over the cab and only takes a few seconds to make up. At 50, we don't mind hopping up into it yet.

We don't feel a great need for a tow vehical ( as if the Toyota could tow something), but this past week end we camped close to home and brought the wife's car along. I can see how this would be nice in the long run.

The 21 footer seemed fine for just the two of us and the beagle, but we had teh youngest son (16) with us this weekend and it was a bit crowded.

We figure that we did not pay too much for the Toyota. If we get into this, we will step up to something bigger and newer. If we find that we don't use it, we can sell it for almost what we paid for it.

Dan Listermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 05:46 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: We started out with an Avion self-contained camper 30 years ago with eight little kids. Next step was a 27 foot class A with fewer kids. Now we have a 36 foot WI class A and no kids (at home that is). Our boats have done abou the same thing starting with a 16 foot ski boat and ending with a 26-foot cabin cruiser. Renting is a good idea, because most of your questions will be answered by experience with a couple of trips.

You have not asked what I consider one of the most important questions: Are you prepared to maintain the mechanical systems associated with a home-on-wheels? If you don't have any interest or abilities in mechanical things and keeping them working, there is a real challenge to owning an RV. You may spend most of your life in the repair shop. If, on the other hand, you can't wait to get into mechanical things this is really part of the fun.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 07:26 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I have one other thing to add to this discussion. Who will be doing the driving? I found that when we had a class c (32') I loved driving it. We took it every where with no tow car (the tow car is a must for us now) It was great. We went to a 5th wheel. I could drive it but not park it. Next was was a 36' class a. If was very difficult to drive so I let my husband do all the driving, this limited the travel time we could do. We now have a 39' class a that is a dream to drive. We both can drive it and are comfortable with it.

So my $.02 worth is if both of you are going to drive make sure it is something that you both are comfortable with.

One last comment. A bedroom with an island bed is almost a must. Yes some people can handle other things but as we get older it is more difficult to do.

Pat
jphansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 10:30 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Size only matters when you are looking for your rig in the campground. However you have entered into the long time debate over motorhome vs trailer (fivers included) Someone mentioned that traveling vs camping is a good way to determine which way to go. I have to agree. I enjoy camping vacations - spending a week in one location and taking sidetrips for sightseeing. I have a 21'trailer which works just fine for my wife and me. When we had growing kids we had a 20' bunkhouse where the dinette made into a big bed for us. We enjoyed many camping vacations as well as weekend outings. My parents on the other hand went the motorhome route with a 22' class A. They went all over the country seeing most of the lower 48 in extended vacations (6-9wks) and taking in over 20 elderhostels. As they got older they went to a smaller van conversion. Dad found it both easy to drive and set-up (he was 70 at the time) With the class A they had a toad but with the van conversion they did not. The van conversion seemed to be the best of both worlds - although it was small it had all the comforts of home. I must also note that they showered in the park restrooms.

BTW I will probably stick with the TT as I like the overall flexibility of having a fixed home base and a sightseeing vehicle.

Good luck with whatever you do - just do it soon and stop fretting over it.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:47 AM   #20

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
SeetheUSA,

You asked a really good question,
and got some thoughtful answers, some good perspectives.

How's your decision making coming along? Are you going to join the RV world? that BT still looking good?

Mike
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:17 PM   #21

.....hope you don't try to kill each other....bigger is better If one needs to get away from the other now and then....though 38 years together could mean that you are past that stage.....me- If I had a wife around more than an hour or two during the whole day it might be too much and I have to replace her.....geofkaye
Old 05-08-2005, 01:22 AM   #22

Since your in Plano it might be worth checking on RV Shows,Dallas Convention Center and Market Hall each have a large show. Might contact Camping World in Denton for a free catalog,check prices on refrigerators, be ready for a shock, but you need to know if you consider a pre-owned unit. Silver Lake RV Park in Grapevine might be a good park to stop by. Owned now by the City of Grapevine, talk to hosts at entrance and other RV'ers on site.
A queen or twin beds, and one slide would be a big plus if you plan to use more than two weeks at a time. If you look at units new/used with one or more slides, check it out with the slide in before buying. Good Luck, its a great life style.

F250 7.3,32' New Horizons FW
Ron1247 is offline   Reply With Quote