Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2008, 11:28 AM   #1

I want to start a business detailing RV's in my area. I'd like to know if anyone has a business like this, how do you do pricing. And if you've ever had you're RV detailed, what did they charge you for what services?
Jay USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2008, 11:28 AM   #2

I want to start a business detailing RV's in my area. I'd like to know if anyone has a business like this, how do you do pricing. And if you've ever had you're RV detailed, what did they charge you for what services?
Old 03-29-2008, 12:05 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow - tough to answer your question!

A couple of issues come to mind, however, which you may want to consider in pricing the service:

1. Labor costs (comes fairly cheap in some areas - higher in others)

2. Level of service (inside, outside, wax/no wax, shampoo, etc., etc., etc.)

3. Size of RV (little, medium, big)

4. Your mobility (customers come to you or you go to them?)

5. Competition (only game in town - or one of several?)

Again, just some thoughts. You probably have many, too.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #4

Thanks for your response. Great things to think about. Any ideas on how much to charge based on size for wash/wax/interior? Jay.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:36 PM   #5

I would start by estimating how long it would take for each service.Material costs,insurance,Licence?Then how much per hour to make a living.Now is there enough call to make a living.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:58 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe truck washes charge by the foot,as do detailers that come to campgrounds (never had it done). Any campgrounds in your area? I'll bet if so they will have business card for someone that will detail at camp site. give them a call and see how much the competition is charging.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:13 PM   #7

In the Indio/Palm Springs, CA area there are a couple of washers/waxers. For a wash only, for a 45' coach, they charge between $55 and $75 (depending on the company). For a wash and wax they charge $275 to $325 for a 45 footer. They charge extra to polish the wheels.

Interior is done by a couple of different folks. They charge $25 per hour to clean and shine the interior. Extra to clean leather and shampoo the carpets. They charge by the piece rather than the hourly rate and it comes to significant more than hourly.

Just an aside, when we were in Puerto Penasco, Mexico with the Newmar special event in January, they charge $1.50 per foot to wash AND wax. That was about $75 for the 45 footer. A little was added to clean the roof. Hard to compete with that!

Hope this helps.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #8

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
And I thought $400 was a great price to wash and wax with compound and hand wax all the exterior and they also clean the roof.I need to move to mexico. No I love U.S.A. too much.
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I was just in Yuma & picked up the free Super Shopper paper & inside there were 3 ads for Mobil Washing services.
Basic service included wash and wax with spot free water. This included the roof, awnings, windows, wheels, tires & Armor All.
Two of them were $40 for any sized RV.
The other one was priced by the foot & it was $1 a ft.
The wax job in the basic service was a spry on wax like at the self service car washes.
While I was there a few spaces from me a Motorhome was being washing & I went over & talked to the owner of the rig being done. He told me he was getting the hand wax polish & Deoxidation.
The Deoxidation was applying a rubbing compound on & hand polishing it out then the wax was hand applied & hand polished. This service only cost him $200 & he had a 38 ft motorhome.
Two guys were working on his rig.
I looked at it the next day & if really shined.
I really wished I have had time to have it done while I was there.
Mike
MikeCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:10 AM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
While at the Perry GA RALLY I had my coach washed and waxed by a mobile service for $260 for my 36'er. They even washed my roof and shined the tires. Not bad at all, in my book.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:47 AM   #11

Thank you for all the feedback. It's helping me a great deal. Much appreciated. Jay.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:03 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
jay usa it's a great business to be in. been at it for about 30 year's (car's, boat's, rv's and anything else that had to be cleaned and polished). one hint: make sure the products that you are using are compatable with the cleaning job that you are doing.
such as the all purpose cleaner is it safe to use on the rubber roof's and will it streak or dull those nice shiny alum. wheel's . around the myrtle beach, florence s.c area the price are between 400 and up depending on what you want done to it.but if somebody just want's it washed and dryed and the tire's shined then you price accordingly. waxing a rv can be alot of work so you charge accordingly. the price of 400 and up is if they want the whole 9 yard's done to it...hope this might have helped you out alittle. kurt
bmanSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #13

Hey, Kurt. Thanks for the helpful information. After thirty years, you must know what you're doing. Do you have any tips from a business perspective such as little things that make the client happy, and what kind of questions to ask when someone calls about a job? Also, if you have any preferred products that you use? Thanks so much. Jay.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:38 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
what part of the country are you located?
bmanSC is offline   Reply With Quote