Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2018, 12:13 PM   #43

We've used ours once. Thought about taking it out for more storage but decided to leave it in for resale value.
sawmillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2018, 12:55 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
We use ours on a regular basis. Reduced the need for extra clothes but that did not stop us from filling the cupboards!!!

Dryer is 115 but because the washer is high efficiency the dryer is able to keep up with the washer.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:10 PM   #45

Our Splendide is doing a load right now. It doesn't take up much space and we use it all the time. Would not want to be without it.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:08 PM   #46
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When we owned our Diplomat, it only had room for a combination washer/dryer which we were not interested in. We knew that our next coach would have room for a stacked washer and dryer and that having them would be a must. When we bought the coach with the washer dryer, we were retired and had young grand kids. Which meant we were travelling more and the convenience of a washer and dryer was great.

We also camp with our two daughters and their families (four grandkids). We've used our washer and dryer several times for accidents (grandkids).

I know many will make the use of a campground laundromat or local laundromat sound romantic, but not for us. Dirty machines, broken machines, lines at the campground and crappy areas of town where the local laundromats are located. To me, just a waste of time.

When this question is typically asked.....note that those with washers and dryers love them and those who don't have them, don't see the need for them. You even see people with short Class C's criticize them....even though they have no room for one.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:07 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Our previous older class c had no W/D and we never missed it when traveling with the kids through the State parks in AK. Our new to us dp has a combo and on our first trip staying at a full hook up site we used it daily. Yes you can’t wash a big load, but a couple of towels, underwear etc, helps keep storage space down and it’s just so convenient. Throw it in in the morning, pull it out when you get back. No having to come back and throw it from the wash to dryer.
Arctickats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:25 PM   #48

As full-timers we made a pleasant trip into the local town every 2 weeks to the laundramat and never found it to be an issue. We did 2 weeks worth of clothes, bedding, towels in 1.5 hours. That was also our time to talk to locals about things to do in the area, run a few errands and get groceries and grab lunch in the local cafe. We never had an issue with dirty machines at a local laundry.

We're very active - hiking, siteseeing and didn't want to putz around every day doing laundry or even thinking about having to do it. We get it all done in one short visit in town. Also, we mainly boondocked in the boonies or used dry campgrounds so didn't have sewer hookups and we wouldn't want to change our love for that kind of camping by having to use a RV park for a sewer just for doing laundry.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:49 PM   #49

We full time in a 34' fifth wheel and the first year did alright w/o a washer/dryer. Then we installed a combo unit by Haire and now the wife say's it has become a must have. She usually does a load every other evening and dries the clothes on a portable rack either inside or outside depending on weather and location. Having a W/D in the RV is like a car with power windows and locks, you will not go back to manual once you get spoiled having power.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:27 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
We full time in a 34' fifth wheel and the first year did alright w/o a washer/dryer. Then we installed a combo unit by Haire and now the wife say's it has become a must have. She usually does a load every other evening and dries the clothes on a portable rack either inside or outside depending on weather and location. Having a W/D in the RV is like a car with power windows and locks, you will not go back to manual once you get spoiled having power.

True for some obviously.
We found it to be less hassle to go to laundromat.
Whatever works
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:47 PM   #51

Freightliner Owners Club
It is a must have for us. 40ft and travel 6 or more months a year.

2016 F250 6.7
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:46 PM   #52

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWolfHans View Post
The title says it all. I often wonder is the added expense of getting a coach that has one worth it? Also, what is the smallest coach (in length) that carries a combo washer/dryer onboard? I am going to assume it needs to push 50amp?
Our leprechaun 311fs has connections for a combo washer dryer unit. And we only have a 30amp service. We are still debating on Wether to put one in or not. So far we haven't been gone long enough to need to do laundry.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:15 AM   #53

When we were shopping for a coach, the washer/dryer was not an option we wanted. If we had ordered a rig, it would have been without the washer/dryer.

We just didn't see a use for it. Either we'd pack enough for the full trip, or we'd let the laundry pile up and spend an afternoon watching clothes go round and round.

I mean, that's how all road trips are planned, right? Hike a trail, visit a museum, eat at a local restaurant, jump on the paddleboards, then go back to camp and load up a week's worth of laundry so we can spend some quality time together watching clothes chase each other in a quarter eating circle.

Our coach has a washer/dryer combo. It just happened to be in the rig that we bought. It was like the outside TV; a luxury that we could have gone without.

Now that we've had it for a year and a half, we are glad we have it. Yes, it takes up precious storage space, but if it weren't there that space would likely be taken up by our dirty clothes hamper.

As it is, when we have enough dirty clothes to fill a load (which isn't much), we run it. While it's running, we are doing what we took the trip to do. We aren't sitting in a hard plastic chair, scrunched over and staring at our phones.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:50 AM   #54

never had one. never needed it. we are fine with laundromat.

when we full time in about 6 yrs time, yes I am having a RV with a washer/dryer unit. I want it there to do my shorts and tank tops, something that can handle a very small easy load I won't be owning no sweaters, heavy long sleeve shirts, denim jeans or any other bulky clothes....I am going south and hot and tshirts and shorts will be our life
If I have to hit laundro for sheets etc we will. No biggie. Will be nice to have all options to us at that time.
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:29 AM   #55

Our 97 Fleetwood, has a washer/dryer combo in it. It is right in front of the toilet, in a cabinet. I have yet to even try it to see if it even works. When we went on our trip, we just used the laundry facilities at the campgrounds. Put the clothes in, set my watch to let me know when done. I'd leave and then come back when my watch told me it was ready. No issues.

Since the cabinet is right in front of the toilet, if you are sitting, it is rather cramped in there. We are talking about removing the combo and cabinet to give more space for the toilet. We will see, if I actually do that or not.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:33 AM   #56

My wife likes it....so I like it