Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2018, 05:46 PM   #99

My wife and are new full timers in a Scepter. I am a retired veterinary surgeon forced to retire for health reasons. After 7 back surgeries and two neck fusions in three and a half years I have been left neurologically deficient. I have a weak bladder and have control issues starting to urinate. Incontinence in women after childbirth, cureable with physical therapy not just surgery, and post trauma or spinal fusion happens, as well as just getting old. Constipation and our favorite downstairs toilet to smell the room and our cut Bears Hawking soft toilet paper, and the first date gal telling her blind date she is all backed up or Dr. How's Infomercial do you poop enough and lastly the colon screen box for colon cancer that reads you still need to have a colonoscopy due to false positives and negatives (so what is exact purpose of extra test other than a way to rip off Medicare that pays for stupid test and doctor actor in labcoat? It seems butts and poop are no longer dissallowed topics! But I digress. Eager dryer you finally want me to get to the point? I am disabled in a wheelchair when we go to doctors. In an electric lift chair at home. I have heart failure that 95% of doctors missed last six months being short of breath on oxygen generator or room air or recreational 95% oxygen from sporting goods. Can start a discussion on topic if anyone interested. So I have to collect volume of urine voided by volume in ounces and any liquid I drink in ounces and weigh myself daily with a scale an electronic body fat meter (least accurate way to measure unfortunately) and determine weight change by fluid versus fat/muscle. This is crude way to follow heart failure status. Oh did I mention I have mild to moderate kidney failure also meaning what is good for kidneys like fluid is bad for my heart and vice versa. Since collecting urine to measure before flushing is not real sanitary we have a towel under my chair and the occasional spill of urine from my " glow in the dark" non-spillable urine urisept containers. Add two 75% loveablle 40&50# pit bulls that sleep in bed with Mama and we have a lot of laundry. When the washer drain hose got clogged recently we were fortunate to have a space right next to laundry but Mama was missing her machine badly. An addiction I tell you. So yes they are a huge valuebwheth5
vetsurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2018, 05:48 PM   #100

Freightliner Owners Club
We could give or take the washer/dryer in the coach until we took our first long trip. A family of 6, it definately came in handy. My last coach had the combo, and now our current coach has the stackable units. We love it and woudn't have a coach without it.
Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:48 PM   #101

Our 35’ DSDP came with a combo by Splendide. It’s a 2000 model. Sold the combo unit and replaced with the new Splendide washer and dryer, couldn’t be happier.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:50 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWolfHans View Post
The title says it all. I often wonder is the added expense of getting a coach that has one worth it? Also, what is the smallest coach (in length) that carries a combo washer/dryer onboard? I am going to assume it needs to push 50amp?
We are not impressed with the small loads & time to do a load a washer & dryer does.
I fabricated, finished, & installed four 2" deep shelves with full extension drawer slides (Accuride) that fit into the space aloted for a stackable washer & dryer.
This space & storage is far more valuable to us than a washer & dryer. My wife can wash & dry multiple loads in a RV or public laundromat & save lots of time to spend exploring a new environment.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:58 PM   #103

Winnebago Owners Club
Love the Washer-Dryer

We are new full-timers (just over three months) and love our washer and dryer. We typically have one day a week that we do maintenance, cleaning, laundry, trip planning, and read books. Having the washer and dryer (not the combo) in our rig makes it simple. Or, we can easily do a load in the evening when we've had a dirty hiking day. Yes, the capacity is small, but we can still do all of the sheets and pillow cases from the king-size bed in a single load. Running on 30 amps takes a bit of care in our 42 ft motorhome with three air conditioners.
JTWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:01 PM   #104

Tiffin Owners Club
Washer/Dryer is an absolute MUST HAVE!

Quote:
The title says it all. I often wonder is the added expense of getting a coach that has one worth it? Also, what is the smallest coach (in length) that carries a combo washer/dryer onboard? I am going to assume it needs to push 50amp?
Our first coach did not have a washer/dryer and being that our road trips are almost always 1 to 1 1/2 months going to the laundry was an extreme expense and some of the parks are beyond ridiculous in what they charge so when we decided to get our next coach, I told our Salesman that #1 a washer/dryer was a must and a deal breaker if a coach did not have, #2 was satellite system already installed and #3 was that it had 4 slide-outs, I did have several other items on my list but #1, #2 and #3 was a no compromise and firm deal breaker without them. I would not buy a coach that did not have a washer/dryer, if you have never had one, then you don't know how nice it is to have and once you have them, you will never again have a coach without them.
RV_Road_Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:15 PM   #105

Must have

[QUOTE=l1v3fr33ord1;4380441]SeaWolfHans-

A prior owner installed a Splendide combo unit in our 31-footer. The Mrs. prefers it, except for large items such as bed linens.]

I am 6 mo. next to laundromat. Prefer the Splendide.
westwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:21 PM   #106

Quote:
We(just the two of us)are in a 35' Pace Arrow gasser with a washer/dryer combo on 30amps. Can't run the microwave or both air conditioners and need to have full hookups but it is very doable with an energy managment system. Wife loves it for small light loads. Washing is not the issue, drying is. We recommend either the combo or the stackables. Probably need 38-40' for stackables to allow for a reasonable pantry.
chertman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:40 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup View Post
I'll start off by telling you that I have a camper with a living area that is that is 7 ft wide and 15 ft long. And yes, it has a washer! And also it has a dishwasher! When we would camp for a few nights, I would just do the laundry when I got home. Then we started taking longer trips, and we would lose a day at the laundromat, and cost us 20 bucks and more importantly we had no idea who had used the machines and whether we would bring home bed bugs. Our last long trip, I said that's it -- enough, I will not camp a long trip without a washer. We stay in national parks, and state parks. We have to save up our laundry occasionally but I try to do a load every day or two. We are now full time with our dog in our tiny house with wheels and I would not be without my washer and dryer. The washer fits in our camper but the dryer has to live in the back of the truck LOL. If you're curious how I fit a washing machine in a 15 foot camper, I have an article about it here. click here: washer in a tiny camper It is a very nice haier washer, and holds an amazing amount of clothes. It actually does a better job than my $1,200 front loader that I had before we went full-time. It seems that it is no longer sold, but there are other options. I did not want an all-in-one unit because it costs less than $250 and if it breaks I can buy another one.

Liz

Loose a day ? Most time we’ve spent is 2 hours , including drive time... but we go into town for shopping anyway .
$20.00 or more ? Most we’ve spent is 16.00, that’s wh n we also wash bedding & it’s chillier out & wash jeans & sweatshirts etc .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:43 PM   #108

My wife LOVES not having to go to the campground machines. I could think of better use of the space, but happy wife, happy life.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:15 PM   #109

Newmar Owners Club
third times the charm

we are on our third mh, 40 ft Dutchstar.
As we were deciding on the must have features, my DW added W/D. I asked why since I was the one who lugged the laundry to the laundromat and always searching for quarters. The coach came equipped with a stacked W/D that made the DW happy. I will admit that I am a convert as well. It is great to do the laundry and not track back and forth and miss chunks of the TV shows. Well worth the cost and reduction in storage space. BTW...we are not FT...but have averaged 8K miles per year.v
Ronjonaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:18 PM   #110

Monaco Owners Club
We've had both a combination unit (37" 2000 Triple E Empress DP) and a stacked system (40' Monaco Cayman DP). Can't imagine life on the road without the stacked units(we are 5 months/year snowbirds). On the other hand, the combination was no where near as useful as the drum was small and the drying function not terribly efficient by our experience. That being said, we did find it useful and reduced the need to find laundromats.
3 Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:16 PM   #111

Wouldn't do without it

I asked for only 2 things when we finally decided to buy a bigger rig, a large frig & a W/D. We have a 38 ft Bounder.
If you don't mind wasting a half day on gathering, loading, waiting, folding, loading, & re-storing clothes then don't get one.
Oh yeah, I forgot, plus if you don't mind sharing your clothes with anyone who also used the machine with potentially dirty rugs or dye or baby's diapers. (I really do mind.)
Our moho is 14 years old, and we keep it for the same reasons we bought it, the frig & W/D. I even have plastic chains attached to the awnings to use hangers to dry clothes outside. Don't know why I don't mind doing it! I actually even hang out sheets.
If you buy the larger Splendide, you can wash a set of queen sheets.
We put bicycle inner tubes on either side of the machine and blew them up. It cuts down at least 1/2 of the jitters & noise.
I vote necessary.
jdandkity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:48 PM   #112

I have a 38' trailer that I live in 6 months from June to December. In the summer, I have both washer and dryer, and the washer is the same one I have in Italy, where I live from Dec to June. In the summer in the US, I mostly use a drying rack (the same one I have in Italy, where I don't have a dryer), and mostly I use that to dry the clothes, except for sheets. At my age (72), it is nice to have. I did laundromats in my youth. Enough, but I agree, you meet some interesting people there.

I would have no interest in a combination, but I understand the space requirements. I don't have a lot of clothes, so the loss of closet space was not a problem.
DeeS is offline   Reply With Quote