Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2016, 08:36 PM   #29

Here's a thought. If there is a fire and your only exit available is the bedroom window chances are you only have seconds to live and if you monkey around with a ladder it may eat up precious time and someone might not make it out.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2016, 08:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands Bob View Post
I hear a lot more stories of people dying from CO2 than fire.

I'm guessing you mean carbon monoxide and not CO2.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:44 PM   #31

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
An idea I read about is to practice RV egress with something like a pic-nic table placed under the bedroom window so that the distance down is much shorter and safer to practice. Maybe some our other's might even try it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I'm guessing you mean carbon monoxide and not CO2.
Yes, That's what I meant.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:44 PM   #33

I recently added fire extinguishers to each section of my toy hauler. I've got one next to my bed, one in the kitchen/living room, and one in the garage. My bedroom has two interior exits and my trailer has two exterior doors. Hopefully wife and I won't have to go through the bedroom window. Also hoping that the several smoke detectors we have in each area will give us enough warning to get out before there is a threat of fire.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:22 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Boy, what a difficult crowd. These comments were totally unnecessary and I'm surprised the moderator is letting this go on.

The OP was just trying to remind us on having the emergency window and ideas on how to use it. Some things I don't agree with but overall, it just might help someone.
While the overall message (knowing how to open/use the emergency exit) is indeed good, it's still annoying when people think that they have to make up or exaggerate numbers to make their point. The logical question is this: If the numbers quoted are a lie, then what else might the OP be lying about?
4x4van is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:42 PM   #35

[QUOTE=4x4van;3364372 The logical question is this: If the numbers quoted are a lie, then what else might the OP be lying about?[/QUOTE]

That was my first reaction. With an incredible opening line, all credibility was lost and I didn't even read the story.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #36
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Come on guys, play nice, we've got a reputation to uphold here!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:57 PM   #37

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands Bob View Post
If the flames are licking at your backside, I promise you won't be looking for sticks and blocks of wood.

You'll be coming out that window like this guy.

I think if I had me some of those pants, I could do the very same thing!!
mwwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:50 PM   #38

Yea, I figured it had to be the pants.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:13 AM   #39

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two things:
First I'd like to recommend that the video be added to the sticky "Watching these videos may save your life" elsewhere in many forums.

Second: Mac The Fire Guy... He puts on shows at many FMCA and other RV rallies... Man knows his stuff. From what I can tell (he is he expert not me) He gives good advice.

Mac tells you how to get out without that ladder.

OH, my Escape windows.. I've used one of 'em several times (Door lock striker bolt breaks and it's the only way in and out) first exit I just drop (Carefully) to the ground, (I know how to do it, exactly as Mac TELLS YOU) on mine the sharp edge is not all that sharp so I can "hang" by my hands and then it's like six inches for me to the ground (not 8' high either).

I use a step ladder to get back in 7 or 8 feet tall) it also holds the window open for me... But I can drop out swiftly and easily on the front escape window.. Have also gone out the back one at least one time, forget if the ladder was there or not. Last time the door latch broke was last summer, It should not break again,, The replacement striker bolt was made of superior metal not the el-cheapo "White metal" that Tri-mark used but genuine STEEL.

Still for many the video is a good idea... I like the idea of the escape ladder.

One concern, he spent rather a long time setting up that ladder for his exit... You only have SECONDS before the toxic smoke kills you.. MAC explains this way better than I can.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #40
IC2

Just to add something to this conversation - our Montana 5ers bedroom escape window with the unit absolutely level in my driveway is 9'2" from the ground. And as I said way back in the thread, a broken arm, leg, collar bone will hurt but it for sure wont hurt or be worse then a burn. While I doubt very much that our rear escape window would ever be used, it is ~6'6" above ground level. Our now gone Titanium was 'issued' with an escape ladder. It was useless and made to disappear - who has time to rummage in that storage bin next to the bed with flames coming up the stairs.

Safe practices are the best way to RV. There is another thread on iRV2 where the owner evidently used a candle and set their MH on fire. A near tragedy but it was avoidable. Many folks use space heaters. Do they have a tip over shut off? An over temp shut down? Ours have those safety features. Do you fry a lot? Is the vent filter and duct clean? Do you have a surge protector? It will shut your power down if a problem is detected. Propane detectors - that work? Older RVs - GFCI's installed? Either Dometic or Norcold fridges that haven't had their recalls done? Then there are the MHs that mysteriously catch fire while on the road. A while back I happened on an RV salvage website. A large percentage of the pusher powered MH units that had burned the fire was probably from an oil or fuel leak and it was a rear section fire - and that's often maintenance or lack thereof. A small stove fire - maybe you can fight it with an extinguisher - hopefully you have several and bigger then what our 5er was supplied with as a new unit. We have at least 4 now but for sure wont try to use one if it looks like a lost cause. A fire that is behind panels,impossible to fight, get out NOW!!
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote