Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2018, 03:13 PM   #1

How not to use Propane.

I am paranoid about using propane for anything in the RV. I don't want to use it at all. How would I be able to "get away with it" so to speak and just use electric. Is it really necessary for me to have it in the RV for anything. Advise needed please. Also, when I finally purchase an RV I want to rely on being plugged in and/or using solar power or both if that makes a difference. I am completely clueless about how all this stuff works. Thanks in advance!
EliPup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2018, 03:16 PM   #2

EliPup-

Could you lay out a few specific reasons you are reluctant to use propane in an RV?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:22 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I can chime in.

The propane is really used primarily for 4 things.

Furnace, Stove, Fridge, Hot Water.

You could not use the furnace and use ceramic heaters instead.
You could cook in the microwave, electric or induction counter top or outside.
Just don't run the fridge on propane.
Always use electric for the hot water.

With a large enough battery bank, and the correct number of solar panels (properly installed and wired), one could get away with it.

But do your homework on the solar, it's a lot of very specific details that have to come together correctly in order for it to work, and it's not exactly cheap to do it correctly. According to handybob, 95% of solar installers do it wrong.

Just google handybob and then strap in.

Personally, I'd just use the propane. It works.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:25 PM   #4

Using propane

Many years ago, although seems like yesterday, I was involved in a house fire and anything that has the remote chance of something like that happening again is not anything I want to be involved with. My personal opinion, I just think it is dangerous and scary and I am afraid something bad will happen. Plus, I am very afraid of carbon monoxide poisoning and there is the risk of that with propane as well.
EliPup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:34 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliPup View Post
Many years ago, although seems like yesterday, I was involved in a house fire and anything that has the remote chance of something like that happening again is not anything I want to be involved with. My personal opinion, I just think it is dangerous and scary and I am afraid something bad will happen. Plus, I am very afraid of carbon monoxide poisoning and there is the risk of that with propane as well.
Perhaps RV'ing is not for you?
My rig is 45' and now all electric since I replaced the cooktop with an Induction unit
I've been RV'ing since 1957 when my parents rented a TT with an icebox. I've had propane in every RV and I've never been gassed or had a fire. Do they turn the gas off to drive down the road in a propane powered vehicle? Gasoline tanks don't have any of the safeguards that propane does but you still drive around with gallons of highly explosive gasoline.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:35 PM   #6

…...you must really be freaked out by the prospect of carrying 50-100 gals of gasoline or diesel fuel...some degree of fear is healthy, but......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:20 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Propane is likely the least likely element to cause a fire in an RV.

Most fires I've read about generally involve an electrical issue or the RV absorbtion fridges, which can catch fire even when turned off.

Google norcold fires

If I we're very concerned about fire, I would first eliminate the RV absorbtion fridge asap
Old 06-26-2018, 04:36 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I also understand your fear. I've been through a small house fire and that was enough...

Further , I sleep my baby right near an RV absorbtion fridge, which really freaks me out.

And somewhere along the line, someone in the RV fridge business said to me...

"Well, sometimes you just take your chances, and not everyone is guaranteed to live forever, you have more chances to die in a car accident than from your fridge"..

And I guess I understand that, still freaky though. So it's up to you to decode your own fears to measure and balance against, as we all do. But if I could easily do an all electric fridge in my rig, I would.

One thing I appreciate is the fact Ive had my fridge from new. Knowing I haven't abused it makes me feel a little better
Old 06-26-2018, 04:43 PM   #9

Install a residential fridge , induction cook top , microwave , electric hot water, and electric heat or heatpump. You'll need lots of solar and batteries , as well as a good sized generator. There are a few all electric coaches out there , not cheap .
When used properly , propane is just as safe as gas or diesel.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:44 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I am paranoid about using propane for anything in the RV. I don't want to use it at all. How would I be able to "get away with it" so to speak and just use electric. Is it really necessary for me to have it in the RV for anything. Advise needed please. Also, when I finally purchase an RV I want to rely on being plugged in and/or using solar power or both if that makes a difference. I am completely clueless about how all this stuff works. Thanks in advance!
There are lots of all-electric RVs on the market these days. You don't have to use propane for anything.

Heat and hot water will come from electric or diesel/gas burners, depending on your engine fuel type. Refrigerator will be electric only. Cooktop will be electric (Induction type). Oven will be microwave/convection (electric).

If you don't want to have propane, you don't need to. Everyone telling you propane isn't a problem isn't actually answering your question.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, it is completely possible to not have any propane in a large, newer motorhome. It restricts the places you can stay though. I have sympathy with your anxiety, nut it is possible to work through anxieties with professional help. You have already heard you have no logical reason for your fear (propane really is safe) but I know that doesn’t change how you feel at all. I have a totally irrational fear of heights. With desensitization training, I can manage a lot more than I used to, but the fear is still there. It is your choice whether to work on the anxiety or just get an electric motorhome.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #12

There are compressor fridges that are designed to run on 12 volts dc. Microwaves are doable with battery and an inverter. I found the induction cook top used too much energy for battery. It is excellent with mains power. Heating and air conditioning can be done with mains power as well as hot water. But not so well on battery. Battery must have means to recharge, mains power is good. Solar is good.
Sehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:16 PM   #13

Quote:
I suppose you could always start a wood fire inside the RV then you'd get around having to use the propane for cooking, heating water, and keeping the interior warm on those cold nights.
Of all the different systems on the RV, the propane systems seem to have close to zero issues.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:24 PM   #14

I made the mistake of stating mu opinion here that i did not like using propane and asked about using the fridge on inverter when driving a few years ago.

I got almost zero replies telling me if i could or could or could not but i damn sure got a lot of folks trying to tell me why i should run propane and how safe it is, I kept wondering why if it is so safe do i need a propan gas alarm in my rig? Does not matter. You did not ask for everyones opinion on using propane.

Yes you can live without using propane.

like the second post said.

fridge (but it also run on shore power or by solar) most newr rv dont even have a fridge that will run on propane any more.

cooking, many many ways around that. induction cook top, BBQ grill or campfire and cast iron cookware. microwave convetin oven all run on electric and some do it using solar.

propane heat. easy to get around. Stay places warm, sppace heaters, more blamkets and jackets.

Water heater. also will run on electric, dont know anyone powering it with solar but i suppose if folks can run air conditioner on solar and batteries water heater could also.

Solar and batteries and and inverters are not simple to make work right and effeciant and cost a fair amount of money.To some it is not worth it, to others it is.

The it has worked for years so why not keep doing it outlook in the rv world can be deeply rooted. I am shocked some are not using blocks of ice to keep the fridge cool, it worked so well for so longwhy do it different?

Yes it can be done. keep thining outside the box! Keep asking why. You got a lot of reading to do about how the rvs and systems work with each other. Then you got lots of readin on solar and batteries and inverters.

The Famous 'Social Experiment': 5 Monkeys and a Ladder
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane