Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2020, 06:10 PM   #43

I do mine every 2-3 months or when they look and feel dry. However, does anyone spray the seals on the Opposite/inside of their coach?
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2020, 06:25 PM   #44

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Every two or three months

I spray 303 and use a microfiber cloth on my seals every time I wash my coach, every two or three months. I clean and lube my car seals at least every two months. Don't forget your compartment seals. Inspect your leveling legs and lube them at the same time.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:29 PM   #45

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Top off slides

I do the same thing while the slide is pulled in some I hit it with 303. I’ve also gone up top and reached down to get it on occasion.
SharonandRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:23 PM   #46

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I try to do mine every few months, but sometimes forget and end up doing it when they start squeaking. I've use 303 and commercial slide lube. Neither seem to bother the paint at all.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:27 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
yep - me too.
jdpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:45 PM   #48

I just keep them clean, and use baby powder once a year. I wax the rig once in the spring, and do the slide sides at the same time.
Old 06-19-2020, 05:26 AM   #49

Armor All, one of the first on the market,the same things as suggested makes vinyl dash boards crack.
Same thing called Tire Shine makes tires nice and shiny, but don't use it regularly and the tires turn a purplish grey.
Those 2 things and more made this car guy turn away from these products.
Now I have heard about the baby powder, but if my door seals stick, I wash them with spic and span and maybe use a rag with silicone spray sprayed in it and wipe them down.

If you think these 303 type products work that well, then use them on your wipers to make them last longer and there you will get your answer.

There are many of these products out there in the market that are pushed by manufacturers of every type vehicle you own and they are owned by the industries that serve these vehicles!
Ever think they don't want your vehicles to last because they want to sell a new one.

If they do penetrate and some do, it ruins the rubber/vinyl/acrylic because the only way to penetrate these things is by eating into them. Petroleum distillates in some form are in them! Nice and soft now, then they dry up and crack.

Just saying after 40+ years of owning Hot Rods and Boats!
Conesus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:11 AM   #50
YC1

Sheesh, am I the only one that has had to replace slide seals? I have slide covers on everything and take good care of them.

I have seals on order for one of my bedroom slides. Both the inside and outside seals are literally splitting.

The drivers side seal that has the metal clamping stuff was replaced a few months ago.

Our rv is now 12 yrs old. Time flys. We full time in Central Florida and the slide seals that have gone bad were not facing the sun. Strange.

I have used silicon and 303 for years.

One of the reasons I like to wash and wax my rv as difficult and time consuming that is for me is because I can spot issues like this. I found a few rubber things coming off recently when wazxing. 3M rubber gasket sealer holds like , well glue of course.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:01 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Sheesh, am I the only one that has had to replace slide seals? I have slide covers on everything and take good care of them.

I have seals on order for one of my bedroom slides. Both the inside and outside seals are literally splitting.

The drivers side seal that has the metal clamping stuff was replaced a few months ago.

Our rv is now 12 yrs old. Time flys. We full time in Central Florida and the slide seals that have gone bad were not facing the sun. Strange.

I have used silicon and 303 for years.

One of the reasons I like to wash and wax my rv as difficult and time consuming that is for me is because I can spot issues like this. I found a few rubber things coming off recently when wazxing. 3M rubber gasket sealer holds like , well glue of course.
Well, could the bolded above be part of the problem?

I wholeheartedly agree with Conesus1, most of that stuff isn't needed. Some in fact, make things worse. I remember the days when Armor All was my go to for making tires, vinyl, and leather shine. Found out the hard way that the leather in my Coupe De Ville didn't like it at all. The suppleness went away, it cracked, and became discolored. That was it for me and I never went back.

There may be some good products out there but imo, they're very rarely needed. Imo, these types of products are mostly gimmicks, kinda like majority of those gasoline treatment products.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:24 AM   #52

I have been thinking about this for a while now. My slide seals seem to be ok, but, I see most people, at least in this post, use spray of some sort. A few use baby powder. These are 2 different things altogether in my view. I can see the powder helping the slide, slide. But I can't see how powder would protect the rubber. A spray would help protect the rubber and if it's still moist maybe help in sliding but not when it dries.
Lets hear it from the pros. Powder or a spray like 303 etc?
I did read a couple of you use Nothing, copy that!
Signed, Somewhat Confused. LOL.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:34 AM   #53

How do you treat the top seal that is under a slide topper?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:34 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 716 View Post
I spray 303 and use a microfiber cloth on my seals every time I wash my coach, every two or three months. I clean and lube my car seals at least every two months. Don't forget your compartment seals. Inspect your leveling legs and lube them at the same time.
Sure helps reduce the black oxidation, look better and last
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:36 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conesus1 View Post
Armor All, one of the first on the market,the same things as suggested makes vinyl dash boards crack.
Same thing called Tire Shine makes tires nice and shiny, but don't use it regularly and the tires turn a purplish grey.
Those 2 things and more made this car guy turn away from these products.
Now I have heard about the baby powder, but if my door seals stick, I wash them with spic and span and maybe use a rag with silicone spray sprayed in it and wipe them down.

If you think these 303 type products work that well, then use them on your wipers to make them last longer and there you will get your answer.

There are many of these products out there in the market that are pushed by manufacturers of every type vehicle you own and they are owned by the industries that serve these vehicles!
Ever think they don't want your vehicles to last because they want to sell a new one.

If they do penetrate and some do, it ruins the rubber/vinyl/acrylic because the only way to penetrate these things is by eating into them. Petroleum distillates in some form are in them! Nice and soft now, then they dry up and crack.

Just saying after 40+ years of owning Hot Rods and Boats!
303 is great on wipers and as good as any of the back to black products

Economically priced by the gallon
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:50 PM   #56

We've always used 303 on slides, wipers, Fantastic fan, etc. It's a UV protectant.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal, seals, slide