Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2019, 05:36 PM   #29

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I wasted my money, never use them. Does anyone else cover tires on any other
type of vehicle? No. Do you cover your toad tires? What difference does it make if your parked or moving, the sun is still shining. If you replace your tires at the recommended interval you will never have a problem.
To each there own, if it makes you happy then use them. If you want a set, look me up.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2019, 05:42 PM   #30

I have never used them. and after going to the tire store to have them check a tire that was low, they wouldn't do anything more than change them for new! Because they had timed out! So if that's the case, one less thing to worry about.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:24 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaTOne65 View Post
I have never used them. and after going to the tire store to have them check a tire that was low, they wouldn't do anything more than change them for new! Because they had timed out! So if that's the case, one less thing to worry about.

Sounds like the tire shop pulled a high pressure sales tactic on you! You can run any age tire on your RV, regardless of what a tire shop tells you. Find another shop, unless you wanted the newer tires.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:48 PM   #32
tcg

Why do RV tires need to be covered but not car tires?
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:18 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Sounds like the tire shop pulled a high pressure sales tactic on you! You can run any age tire on your RV, regardless of what a tire shop tells you. Find another shop, unless you wanted the newer tires.
What? Tires age out because the rubber compound breaks down over time. UV even makes it happen faster. Michelin has about the longest warranty at 7 years, and says to replace them at 10 no matter what. It is very dangerous driving on tires that are ready to have a blowout. I can't believe that you said that tires don't age out!
DurangoNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:20 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
Why do RV tires need to be covered but not car tires?
If you wear out your RV tires before they break down from age and UV, you don't really need to cover them.
DurangoNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:34 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
It isn't any effort if sitting in the sun more that two days. Mr Boyer has the easy install type with swivel hooks. 100 + and UV will affect tires over time and why ignore a easy aid. It's like ignoring suntan lotion. I have cheap ones for the dually and tow, same as Mr. Boyer for the Dynasty Bus with tag
f365gt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:36 PM   #36

Unless your everyday vehicle sits in the sun on any side as,long as an rv does, then you are good. My everyday vehicles either sit in a garage, shade, or get driven several times a day. The rv doesn't.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #37

[QUOTE=DurangoNick;4938677]What? Tires age out because the rubber compound breaks down over time. UV even makes it happen faster. Michelin has about the longest warranty at 7 years, and says to replace them at 10 no matter what. It is very dangerous driving on tires that are ready to have a blowout. I can't believe that you said that tires don't age out![/QUOTE

"Sounds like the tire shop pulled a high pressure sales tactic on you! You can run any age tire on your RV, regardless of what a tire shop tells you. Find another shop, unless you wanted the newer tires."

I didn't say that tires don't time out, where did you get that from? My issue is the tire shop refusing to repair a tire and would only sell a new tire. If you read the earlier postings, there are some people that run tires way beyond the suggested tire age. They are not bad people, it is still their choice to run the old tires, it's not up to the tire shops rules to determine the expired tire age, no matter what they might claim!
I know it's not the same thing, but I have restored old farm tractors that have 60 year old tires on them and they still serve their purpose on show tractors.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:37 AM   #38

Never get 10 years before replaceing
Old 09-03-2019, 06:41 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by high voltage View Post
Never get 10 years before replaceing
Why Not?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:50 AM   #40

What for?